Apnea and dreams

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lynninnj

Apnea and dreams

Post by lynninnj » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:09 pm

Unsure how dream stages and apnea relate.

Last night I had vivid dream that I remember clearly. It was a sort of "war games" type situation/scenario. then some new troops rolled in (I have zero military background) and I was just saying, "We are all on the same side here." At that moment, the man I was facing pulled out a handgun and shot it at me. I jerked awake immediately.

It was pretty freaky and I am not sure if it was a bad dream or an apnea event. (I might be able to check it when I get the SD card out in a few weeks.)

I welcome any dream interpretations as well.

I just recall hearing but cant recall what was said about being able to recall dreams and state of consciousness etc etc.

Anyone know?

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

palerider

Re: Apnea and dreams

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:33 pm

If you *remember* dreams, that means that your sleep is either disturbed, or you just happened to wake up during or right at the end of the dream...

remembering a lot of dreams does indicate that your sleep isn't great.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:13 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:33 pm
If you *remember* dreams, that means that your sleep is either disturbed, or you just happened to wake up during or right at the end of the dream...

I suspect the alarming nature of the dream may be enough to wake me.

I got up to go to the bathroom after I woke up so after I take my card out in a week or so I’m gonna look back in the day and see if I can figure it out.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Prior to CPAP, I never remembered my dream. It had been so long, I couldn't even remember the last time I dreamt.

After starting CPAP and after I started to settle in, I started having/remembering dream a lot, including pretty vivid one. Now that I sleep fairly well, I occasionally remember my dreams.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:44 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:12 pm
Prior to CPAP, I never remembered my dream. It had been so long, I couldn't even remember the last time I dreamt.

After starting CPAP and after I started to settle in, I started having/remembering dream a lot, including pretty vivid one. Now that I sleep fairly well, I occasionally remember my dreams.
All of this is fascinating to me.

I had a similar dream once before. And then when I got shot I woke up in a start.

It would probably be similar to like dreaming that you fell out of an airplane or something and woke up when you hit the ground.

I took some Tylenol last couple of nights before bed and I’m wondering if that messed with my sleep.

No Tylenol tonight

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:27 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:12 pm

When I started cpap (18 years ago) the most immediate effects were no more morning headaches AND a marked increase in vivid dreams.
Currently I dream and can remember those dreams literally every night. Some are pleasant, others not so much.

I’d like to know more about Palerider’s contention that “remembering a lot of dreams does indicate that your sleep isn’t great”.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Architect

Post by Architect » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 pm

palerider wrote:

Sorry, have to disagree. When I don't dream, sleep quality was poor. When I have dreams, I remember them, specially super long/detailed ones. Depending upon dream, some I can remember quite a long time...

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:10 pm

Yes - very vivid and disturbing dreams may mean your apnea's not well treated, but 'everyday' dreams that you remember are o.k.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 pm

Architect wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 pm
palerider wrote:

Sorry, have to disagree. When I don't dream, sleep quality was poor. When I have dreams, I remember them, specially super long/detailed ones. Depending upon dream, some I can remember quite a long time...
Typically when we remember a LOT of dreams it means we may have woke up often during dreaming and it's those LOTS of wake ups that point to the fact that our sleep isn't all that great. We don't normally remember a dream unless we wake up during it or at the very end of it. The key word here is LOTS. It's normal to wake after a REM stage cycle has completed and to remember a dream in REM might just go with the territory when associated what that normal REM stage cycle ending. No big deal. Typically we might have 3 to 5 REM cycles during the night. If you wake up with 15 dreams...that's a lot and potentially points to fragmented sleep which in turn can mean poor sleep quality.

Plus we can dream in any sleep stage. It isn't limited to just REM though REM is when we probably have more dreaming happening.

We all dream but we don't always remember dreaming.
When people remember LOTS of dreams (which is what PR said) then it often means waking up a LOT and it's the waking up a LOT part that is the problem.

So the operative word here is LOTS. Remembering a LOT of dreams usually means LOTS of wake ups long enough to form a memory of the dream. More than just the normal wake up associated with the completion of a REM stage sleep cycle.

Google "sleep stages" and look at the normal hypnograms...waking after REM is normal and not unexpected.
Remembering a LOT of dreams isn't exactly normal and it can mean fragmented sleep which is of course unwanted and affects overall sleep quality and we feel like crap.

It's complicated and opinions vary widely.
Some general reading for your education.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... ot-others/

https://whyy.org/segments/vivid-dreams- ... king-life/

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/vi ... -explained

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/why ... ur-dreams/

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ber+dreams

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 pm

I woke at the exact moment I was shot in the dream.

Thankfully that only happened once.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:17 pm
Architect wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 pm
palerider wrote:

So the operative word here is LOTS. Remembering a LOT of dreams usually means LOTS of wake ups long enough to form a memory of the dream. More than just the normal wake up associated with the completion of a REM stage sleep cycle.
AH, "LOTS" of dreams during the same sleep session.... is that what Palerider means?

For myself I will "remember (albeit it fleetingly) at least one and perhaps two dreams each night. Compared with my wife, that's lots of dreams per week. She claims to not remember any dreams at all
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:31 pm

Learn to use the forum search function

viewtopic.php?t=3524

Den

'.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:44 am

Wulfman... wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:31 pm
Learn to use the forum search function

viewtopic.php?t=3524

Den

'.
I saw the 2005 posts but thought maybe our understanding has grown a bit in 17 years.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:02 am

If something is proven to be true, then why keep questioning it unless it somehow is suddenly proven to be untrue?

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:07 am

Julie wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:02 am
If something is proven to be true, then why keep questioning it unless it somehow is suddenly proven to be untrue?
I will be sure to search on every single topic that I want to post on from now on, so that I don't dredge up something that was discussed fifteen years ago.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys.

And JFTR I was wondering specifically if waking abruptly from my dream was the result of an apnea, or if the waking up was directly due to the dream.

I am sure it is in the fifteen research studies there somewhere.

edit: snark removed (sorry)

Last edited by lynninnj on Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.