Advice Needed- Waking up with Headaches

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
amanda.s

Advice Needed- Waking up with Headaches

Post by amanda.s » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:29 am

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for advice. I've been using my machine for 4 years. 6 weeks ago my AHI numbers started increasing. They used to be more around 1 and are now 2+ and I started having symptoms of feeling more tired and the last 3 weeks I am waking with a headache. I did not change anything in this time and am confused about why my AHI would have increased. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love suggestions.

Thanks,

Amanda

lynninnj

Re: Advice Needed- Waking up with Headaches

Post by lynninnj » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm

amanda.s wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:29 am
Hi Everyone!

I am looking for advice. I've been using my machine for 4 years. 6 weeks ago my AHI numbers started increasing. They used to be more around 1 and are now 2+ and I started having symptoms of feeling more tired and the last 3 weeks I am waking with a headache. I did not change anything in this time and am confused about why my AHI would have increased. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love suggestions.

Thanks,

Amanda
Where on/in your head are the headaches?

Any recent change in meds?
Recent dental work?
Injuries?

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

amanda.s

Post by amanda.s » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:34 pm

Headaches are on the side squeezing. They remind me of the headaches I had prior to getting diagnosed and on CPAP. No med changes, dental work or injuries. I feel like the headaches are because my AHI has increased a lot because of what I'm used to.

Amanda

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:42 pm

Your AHI has possibly increased due to the headaches which may have a completely different origin - strongly suggest you see a doctor and not take guesses from people here.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:00 pm

amanda.s wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:34 pm
Headaches are on the side squeezing. They remind me of the headaches I had prior to getting diagnosed and on CPAP. No med changes, dental work or injuries. I feel like the headaches are because my AHI has increased a lot because of what I'm used to.

Amanda
If it feels like a vice at your temples it’s probably TMJ. Not sure if thats what you mean by “on the sides”.

I felt despair going from 1.3 to 1.9 and I have no idea why.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm

Even if advice is based on personal experience, it's usually best to suggest a doctor's visit - TMJ a far cry from 'probable' as a diagnosis of her issue.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:17 pm

Julie wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm
Even if advice is based on personal experience, it's usually best to suggest a doctor's visit - TMJ a far cry from 'probable' as a diagnosis of her issue.
While I am assuredly a cpap newbie, my TMJ headaches started around 2008. 14 years into it I don’t need to ask a doctor if the strap on my coap mask is the cause of my headaches acting up again. I struggle with it for a week or two after every dental cleaning.

But yeah, ask your doctor.

And if it feels like a vice on your forehead I suggest you ask your dentist.

Good luck Amanda.

amanda.s

Post by amanda.s » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:39 pm

I will check in with my doctor next week. I am attaching a copy of my from OSCAR from last night. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could lower my AHI? My AHI has consistently been much higher than it usually is, with no changes that I know of to cause it.
Attachments
Sleep Aug 3.png
Sleep Aug 3.png (73.47 KiB) Viewed 739 times

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:46 pm

MY experience with morning headaches was the result on chronic low oxygen saturation.
YMMV
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:48 pm

amanda.s wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:29 am
I did not change anything in this time
Time (age) may have changed you.
amanda.s wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:39 pm
Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could lower my AHI?
Try raising your minimal pressure. It's set at 8.2, but you're spending more than half your time at a pressure of 10.38, or above it.

Look at the change in your median (50%) pressure during the recent 6 weeks - and aim to get your minimum to something in the vicinity.
The time you're presently spending on the low side creates an opening [...bad choice of word...] for apneas and hypopneas to happen.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Architect

Post by Architect » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:41 pm

Julie wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm
Even if advice is based on personal experience, it's usually best to suggest a doctor's visit.
I agree, consult with doctor, I get headaches for all types of reasons.