Full face mask option for bearded dude?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zonker

Re: Full face mask option for bearded dude?

Post by zonker » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:42 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 pm

Could you give me more details on your modified scunci? Do you have the scuncis wrapped around your head or do you have an ear cutout like the original post? Also, I understand that you're doubling up on the scuncis but don't get your elastics.

Thanks again all, Zonker
certainly.

i don't cut the ear holes as jay describes. truthfully, i don't know just what shape his head was, but that wasn't even something that would work for me! wish he was still around as i'd like to ask him about it. :lol: i just wrap the top scunci around my head. it covers just at the top most part of my ear.

the second one wraps around from my mouth to the back of the neck. with this arrangement, i find that my lips are pressed against my teeth.

BUT i found that the scuncis don't have enough "grip" i guess is the word, for lack of better. i found that my lips would still part. i found some scunci elastics that had a shorter circumference than the headbands. but if i used those instead of the headbands, they didn't stay seated very well. so finally figured to use the headbands and elastics together. that was the winning combination.

the problem i have in explaining this is there doesn't seem to be a "stock number" on these scunci headbands. if i could find THAT, then i would truly be in business. i could also be telling folks which scunci bands to get.

it remains to this day hard for me to re-supply. one of the things that works in my favor is that you can put the hair bands thru the wash/dry cycle and they will shrink back down. they have a tendency to stretch the more nights you wear them. i have enough to go through a cycle of wearing a set for two nights then switch to a new pair. then at the end of the week, i throw them in the laundry and shrink them back down.

i wish i had a better way to explain this. it's really quite remarkable that it works at all. i just have to recommend you experiment and see what works for you. you can find scuncis (hairbands and elastic) in the hair care aisle of you local drugstore. they are around five bucks for a pack of five.

if you have any more questions or if i haven't explained it to your satisfaction, please feel free to ask.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

sleepyhead22

Post by sleepyhead22 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:51 pm

Really appreciate your rapid and in-depth response. Just got back from the Walgreens near my place and bought a pack of 5. They're $8.99 here now ha, I suppose a sign of the times.

I think I'll give the F20 full face mask another shot tonight, now with a trimmed beard. If it's as bad as last night, I'll switch to your 2 scunci method. I also bought some strong hold athletic tape that's supposed to be waterproof I'll use on my lips to try to hold them together, along with the mouthpiece and P10 nasal mask. Hopefully I'll find a combination that works for me... the beard really does make things more complicated.

Have you tried looking for the elastic on Amazon? If it's there, or you have the original packaging for the elastic, I'd like to try the full modified zonker method.

Thanks again!

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:03 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:51 pm
Really appreciate your rapid and in-depth response. Just got back from the Walgreens near my place and bought a pack of 5. They're $8.99 here now ha, I suppose a sign of the times.

I think I'll give the F20 full face mask another shot tonight, now with a trimmed beard. If it's as bad as last night, I'll switch to your 2 scunci method. I also bought some strong hold athletic tape that's supposed to be waterproof I'll use on my lips to try to hold them together, along with the mouthpiece and P10 nasal mask. Hopefully I'll find a combination that works for me... the beard really does make things more complicated.

Have you tried looking for the elastic on Amazon? If it's there, or you have the original packaging for the elastic, I'd like to try the full modified zonker method.

Thanks again!
wow, they HAVE gone up! glad i have a goodly supply. now, i could have SWORN i found scunci at amazon but a w quick search doesn't seem to find what i'd found before. of course, that could be the glass of wine i've had interfering! :lol:

whatever works for you. just let me know, will you?

oh! you might also look for goody brand on the elastic bands. i think that's what i bought the last time.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

sleepyhead22

Post by sleepyhead22 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:29 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:03 pm
that could be the glass of wine i've had interfering! :lol:

Haha a well-deserved glass of wine.

And yes I will let you know. I have a different plan tonight using the scunci; I'll let you know if it's successful.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:04 am

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:29 pm
zonker wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:03 pm
that could be the glass of wine i've had interfering! :lol:

Haha a well-deserved glass of wine.

And yes I will let you know. I have a different plan tonight using the scunci; I'll let you know if it's successful.

dunno, maybe the glass of wine helped me to explain it! :lol:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:42 pm

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:29 pm
by sleepyhead22 » Wed Aug 03, 2022

With my P10 I use a plain terrycloth headband first.

In addition to the head band I bought a roll of 2" elastic band and made an additional band to go over the head band.
I cut it so it would overlap itself and then added 2" adhesive velcro to the ends so I could adjust the tightness of the band. The adhesive eventually wore out and I started stapling the velcro to the elastic band. I have been doing this for aprox. 2 1/2 years. Have only had to make the elastic band twice (really did not have to replace the first one but it was about due). :D

The elastic band is less porous than a plain head band, but you can still breath through the first head band somewhat.

I use pliers to mash the staple ends down flat.

The head band cushions and wicks mouth moisture.

The cervical collar holds the bands in place.

Had to find some solution and came up with this. :wink:

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:17 am

sleepyhead22 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm
Hi all,

Relatively new to cpap, started about a month ago.

My biggest problem seems to be with mouth leak. As I have a beard, I decided on trying nasal masks to start with. I've tried the resmed p10, philips nasal pillow and philips under the nose. The p10 seems to be the best. Unfortunately with all of them I've had mouth leak. My AHI hasn't been too bad despite the leak, usually between 1 and 2, but the leak wakes me up several times in the middle of the night. I've tried multiple solutions for the leak including 3 different types of chin strap, mouth tape (which comes off about halfway through the night), and a moldable mouth guard as the chin straps were causing teeth grinding.

My questions are:
1. Is anyone familiar with a full face mask that is effective and comfortable in guys with beards?
2. Any other experiences from anyone who has had a similar situation?

Thanks everyone
My full face mask is in my profile. the UMFF I Have worn it with and without facial hair and have had good therapy either way. Right now I have a full beard and have good results and no serious problems with leakage.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05