Are P10 and N30 interchangable?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lynninnj

Are P10 and N30 interchangable?

Post by lynninnj » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:56 am

Hi guys, I wonder if there is someone in the know here.

Last night I tried a P10 for her mask with the old style strap attached to it. It was WAY better on my TMJ then the N30i frame.

I wasn't wild about the pillow though. I wore two diff sized pillows throughout the night and neither made me particularly happy in terms of feel. I don't think I had it on too tight.

Despite only having .7 events per hour, I know I laid awake for quite some time in the morning and got up a bunch of times in the night feeling I needed to make adjustments.

I also felt a lot of air coming out of the front of it during inhalation. I thought it was mainly with exhalation that I felt it coming out with the N30i.

I am pretty sure I am going to ask my docs office to get me the plain old N30. It looks very similar to the P10 and am wondering if they are basically the same structurally but could attach the cushion in place of the pillow on the same setup? Or is it the usual proprietary stuff where you have to buy the full N30 headgear with cushions contained?

Would be nice if I could just swap out a cushion for the pillow.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Pugsy

Re: Are P10 and N30 interchangable?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:41 am

The ONLY part to the P10 and the N30 that is interchangeable is the stretchy headgear part.
The do look similar but the N30 cushion will NOT fit on the frame/hose of the P10.
They just won't attach completely.
I wish it would but no amount of fiddling with the N30 cushion will make it fit on the P10 frame/hose part of the mask.
The base of the nasal cushion on the N30 is just different from the P10 nasal pillow base.
I have used both so been there and done that.

The N30 is a nice little mask though. I would have sent you one if I had one but the only one I had was one that I used extensively so really didn't want to share it for various reasons. I tried it extensively last January and I do recommend it for the people who don't really care for the nasal pillow P10 thing for whatever reason.
Now it is a bit less stable than the P10 and will tend to move around a bit more but for some people that is something that they would take over the pillows. Everybody is different in terms of what they prefer or want or need.

Unfortunately this part that you would need costs almost as much as the complete mask package 80 bucks vs 105 bucks.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... sembly-kit

But let me do some checking to see if maybe EBay or Amazon has a more attractive price. If I find something I will come back and share it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:43 pm

Thanks Pugsy.

I was told that I had 30 days to decide whether to keep the mask I got or trade it in on something different. The fact that it really bothers my jaw as much as it does it makes my teeth clank together should be a reason enough to switch to the N30 with no added costs.

I watched various videos and they said to try a larger pillow. I tried the small and extra small. I’m going to try the medium tonight.

Tomorrow I am going to probably switch over to the Bleep. Part of me wants to try to get a hold of an N30 and in 6m when I can switch out to new, I may go for the ellipse.

I will probably look into getting some more replacement straps but get those little clips that keep them a little bit more snug.

Maybe there’s someone out there that would like a brand new P 10 strap with buckle clip willing to trade for the oldschool straps. (preferably new, tho mine isn’t technically wrapped but it’s completely unused). I went right into using the replacement strap you sent me.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:18 pm

The old school way of tightening the P10 headgear without the buckle when it got too stretched out was a wash in hot water and dry it in the dryer. It will buy you lots of time.

If you do swap out for the N30 mask and then still prefer the headgear without the buckle and you really like the mask....I have more of the non buckle headgear in the package like I sent you.
ResMed is in the process of replacing with the buckle version. Eventually the non buckle version will be phased out.

Try the medium P10 pillow...it might work better for you. The P10 seems to run a little small when compared to a lot of other nasal pillow masks. In every other nasal pillow mask out there I have always been able to use the XSmall size but with the P10 I just couldn't. The XSmall wanted to try to crawl up inside my nostril and I don't wear them tight at all. Always worn all nasal pillow masks extremely loose. I had to move up to the Small in the P10 and I could probably do okay with the Medium.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:32 pm

I will def be giving the medium a try tonight. I didn’t feel that either were a good fit last night.

btw that was a P10 for her. I believe they are smaller than typical P10?

I may take you up on the old-school straps. I’m gonna wait and see how it goes. I want to be sure to try the P 10 fairly and then switch over to the bleep and give that a try for a few nights before I contact my healthcare provider.

Do you think the wash and dry is a better technique than using the little clips?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:53 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:32 pm
btw that was a P10 for her. I believe they are smaller than typical P10?
The only real difference in the "for Her" package is the headgear (the pink/gray for Her) headgear is a little bit smaller in overall circumference than the regular package with blue headgear. I forget exact difference but an inch or two shorter.
Also the sizes of the pillows that come with the for Her package is slightly different.
The for Her package comes with the XSmall, Small and Medium nasal pillows.
The regular package comes with the Small, Medium and Large nasal pillows.
Now the pillows themselves are universal in size....those are standard sizing no matter which packaging you get them from.
Example....The small from the for Her package is the exact same small as you can get in the regular package.

Only the actual stretchy headgear is different. Everything else is the same no matter what package.

I actually used both the clips and the wash and dry method before they came out with the one with the buckle for adjusting.
Mostly though I just used the hot water wash and dry thing.
The most annoying part of the P10 was the fact that the headgear would stretch out long before it wore out in terms of overall wear. People probably complained a lot and then ResMed came out with the N30 which had the buckle. Essentially the same headgear though and it wasn't long before people figured it out and were using the N30 headgear with the P10 and finally ResMed decided to just include the headgear with the buckle with the P10.

Before you make a final decision about the headgear with or without the buckle...at least try the one with the buckle.
You may just find that it isn't annoying to you at all.

When you decide to try the Bleep....practice attaching the ports to the frame without removing them from the paper first.
That way you won't be wasting them while you get use to that attaching process. It is a bit fiddly at first until you get used to it.
Also be sure to watch all those videos with various hints. They cover various little bumps that people ran into fiddling with this mask.

Skin prep is critical though....if the skin is a bit oily the adhesive won't last all night.
Now I know Stuart is a big fan of the hose management thing....me, I have never needed it myself so I don't bother with that part but you might like having the hose routed upwards...heck, you might like having it routed upwards with any mask you might decide to use...even the P10 or the N30. A lot of people actually prefer it. I just don't seem to care for it myself but you are going to find that with everything CPAP related there's going to be a big YMMV sticker associated with it.
The only way you are going to know where your own personal wants, needs and preferences might lay is by trying.
Just because I don't care for something doesn't mean that the next person will also not care. We are all individuals with individual wants and needs.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:50 pm

I considered trying with buckle but after crushing headaches for nearly two weeks I don’t feel much like trying after just one day of relief. Jaw still isn’t 100%.

Was wondering if your skin on your nose gets dried up over time with using the witch hazel or whatever?

I got a thingy for holding the hose anyway I want but will probably have it over my head. I have been twisting my neck a lot just getting in and out of bed. getting old fast along with the tmj.

So… here goes nothing ….

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:19 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:50 pm
Was wondering if your skin on your nose gets dried up over time with using the witch hazel or whatever?
I haven't noticed anything but you can always use regular skin care in the morning and replenish any lost moisture.
I have an anti wrinkle lotion/cream that I put on in the mornings anyway.
Remember I am 70...I do anything to fight wrinkles.
The only place I do the most diligent skin prep is right where the adhesive has go stick. It's actually a relatively small part of the face anyway.
I put my nighttime cream everywhere else.

I used plain alcohol for the longest time then when Stuart sent me the Eclipse to try he also included a little jar of his wipes.
Those wipes work very well. I was pleasantly surprised.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:59 am

I tried the larger P10 pillow last night and the air seemed to be leaking out everywhere and it wouldnt run with so much leaking. I put the small pillow on to replace the medium and after an hour or so of lying awake in discomfort, I switched back to the N30i.

Not happy to have my teeth clanking together and TMJ headaches again but I put in a call to the pulmonologists office and left vm asking for a new mask so lets see what happens.

In the meantime, tonight will be Bleep trial number 1.

Thanks Pugsy!

randye80

Post by randye80 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:56 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:18 pm

If you do swap out for the N30 mask and then still prefer the headgear without the buckle and you really like the mask....I have more of the non buckle headgear in the package like I sent you.
ResMed is in the process of replacing with the buckle version. Eventually the non buckle version will be phased out.
I tried some of non-OEM original style headgear available from Amazon (Brand name Wiscky, FWIW). The quality seems similar to ResMed and I got 3 for less than 20 bucks.