Airsense 10 suddenly shut down

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tisket

Re: Airsense 10 suddenly shut down

Post by tisket » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:52 am

Thanks Pugsy. I decided to come home from work and deal with this today.

Just ran a test with the mask off my face and same behavior. Started blowing again after re-plugged in.

About to call CPAP.com.
---------------------------------------------------
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:36 am

tisket wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:48 am
Was woken up early this morning by not being able to breathe. Looked over and my Airsense 10 was off. It was completely dark and unresponsive. I looked outside - blue skies, calm, no sign of any bad weather. I unplugged it and plugged it back in about 5 times, on the fifth time the machine suddenly came back on and resumed blowing as if nothing had happened. It transmitted my sleep data normally later on.

The machine is plugged into a surge protector which also has my alarm clock and a power alarm plugged into it to wake me up in case the power goes off. Both were on and acting normally.

Bought this machine new in late 2020.

Anybody ever have this happen? Just a hiccup in the power from the wall which upset the machine? Or could it be going bad already? Power did not go off for any length of time or my power alarm would have gone off and it is quite loud.

In other news my last email from Philips regarding the recall on my System 1 was in January, so that "backup machine" is still sitting there waiting to be fixed or replaced.
If this has happened only once there is another possibility. I have witnessed day time power fluctuations where 1 appliance or clock was affected but others were not. There are tolerance differences in electronic components.

Is it possible this is what happened to you? And your cpap is working as designed?
tisket do you have any pets? No aliens?
Imagine here I am defending a Resmed problem? Or shall I say trying?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

tisket

Post by tisket » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:44 pm

As I posted it has happened at least three times in the past week, more if I go back further in time.

If it was power fluctuations (and it is plugged into a surge suppressor) then this would be the only device in the house affected and would be extraordinarily delicate.

I have caged birds as my only pets. They are in their cages at night when this happens.

In any case I went through the process with cpap.com. They said they have no loaners and it would take 4-6 weeks. I said I had a spare. They said to leave the SD card in. I printed out the relevant graphs from OSCAR just in case to show what days and times it shut down in the middle of the night.

Just got home from mailing it at my own expense. The insurance alone was $16. We'll see what happens.

Amazon is supposed to be delivering my new SD card any minute same-day delivery. Had to buy some cashews to make the minimum order amount. :D
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

tyrinryan

Post by tyrinryan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:38 am

i had a power outage while I was asleep a few months back, evidenced by the rebooting and flashing of the digital clock, but when i got up in the morning, the cpap was still blowing. So I initially thought there was just a just a micro-second power failure--enough to drop the clock but not long enough to stop the cpap. SleepGeek, in a post, suggested that the some machines were configured to reboot on a power failure and pick up where they left off (paraphrasing).

So I am now (for the last couple of weeks), (after initially turning on the cpap blower), turning my s9 elite on and off with the switch on a power bar (into which I have plugged the machine). When i flick the switch, the machine powers up and then, after the starting sequence, blows in 20 seconds total, to 10 cms, no matter how many hours the machine has been off. YMMV.---even without autostart. YMMV

I tested an AS10 elite and it did the same thing. YMMV. even without autostart. YMMV

The advantage of all this to me, i think, is the reduction in the number of times pressing the mechanical switch---365x2x5 years (and lot more if i take daily naps) is a lot of pressings! (advantage because I am not particularly handy in making that kind of repair). YMMV Also the particular power bar has a red light on the switch making it easy to locate in the dark. YMMV

I really I think it is good feature, like a sluggish UPS on micro power failures and perhaps others can make use of it too. But I can also see that others may disagree and/or have different experience; I am only describing what is happening under my roof and it may not happen under yours. If there is any disadvantage in using the machine this way, please comment as I still consider myself a newb and am open to suggestion.

Obviously this feature may not work on APAP machines or machines other than the S9 and AS10--I can't test others at the moment.

The OP's problem is the intermittent lack of, break in, or change in the required power in the trail and when the machine fails to power up, the power needs to be tested along the route.
There are inexpensive power testers that will show AC power but I don't know if they will pick up DC as well??

But if the supplier will replace the machine, that of course should be Plan 1.

tisket

Post by tisket » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:37 am

Again, the power alarm plugged into the same power strip did not go off. The machine has been off for minutes at a time when the power strip was on. If there is a problem it is in the machine or its power brick. The only other possible explanation is that one socket in the power strip loses power and then gets it back randomly with the rest of the strip unaffected. In a lifetime of using power strips I've never heard of something like that.

Interesting that your machine resumes blowing after power loss.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:48 am

tisket wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:37 am
Interesting that your machine resumes blowing after power loss.
I think that part is normal and to be expected. What is not normal is the power loss part.
Last edited by SleepGeek on Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:06 am

tyrinryan wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:38 am
When i flick the switch, the machine powers up and then, after the starting sequence, blows in 20 seconds total, to 10 cms, no matter how many hours the machine has been off.
Are you attached to your mask when this happens and if so, is the auto on feature turned on?

If you are attached...repeat your experiment with mask laying on the bed and you not attached and if auto on is turned on...turn it off and repeat your experiment without your being attached to the mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

tisket

Post by tisket » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:10 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:48 am
Be sure to check the connection point where to AC adapter plugs into the cpap - that is a known problem area. And also check the AC adapter where the AC power plugs into the adapter. So there are two connection points on the AC adapter which are possible points of failure.

Then you mention the power strip - is it possible to eliminate that?

Didn't you also say you have a spare AS 10? If so try that AC adapter.

Process of elimination is your best trouble shooting method right now. Then of course its repeatability.
You don't seem to be following the thread. I already said I checked all that and the machine is in the mail on the way to CPAP.com.

I'll let them do the process of elimination. What you suggest would take weeks or months trying things and waiting for random shutdowns in the middle of the night and checking in Oscar for evidence (and breathing stale air to boot). Warranty would probably run out before I reached any conclusions.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:28 am

Just in case anyone else missed it...the machine is on its way back to cpap.com and then probably to ResMed.
tisket wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:44 pm
They said they have no loaners and it would take 4-6 weeks. I said I had a spare. They said to leave the SD card in. I printed out the relevant graphs from OSCAR just in case to show what days and times it shut down in the middle of the night.

Just got home from mailing it at my own expense. The insurance alone was $16. We'll see what happens.
Now to take some patience pills and begin the waiting process. It won't likely be a quick resolution.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:21 am

I thought you said you shipped it back but then YOU posted this after tyrinryan's post ...
tisket wrote:
Again, the power alarm plugged into the same power strip did not go off.
Why?

See if you can forgive me?
They are here to help.

tisket

Post by tisket » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:30 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:21 am
I thought you said you shipped it back but then YOU posted this after tyrinryan's post ...
tisket wrote:
Again, the power alarm plugged into the same power strip did not go off.
Why?
Because tyrinryan was talking about a power outage. I did not have a power outage. The power alarm did not go off.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:48 am

tisket wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:30 am
Because tyrinryan was talking about a power outage. I did not have a power outage. The power alarm did not go off.
And that my friend is ALL you had to say.

See if you can get some...

Sleep.
They are here to help.

tisket

Post by tisket » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:52 am

Looked at the data this morning for my new (spare) Airsense 10. It went off for about a minute early Friday morning. Same problem as the other unit. It goes without saying that my power alarm did not go off so I didn't lose power to the strip.

I am going to try a different surge suppressor strip on the slim chance this is somehow related to the current one.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:49 am

Does the OSCAR graph show the machine resuming at ramp pressure (7.8 ), min pressure (8.0) or some other pressure between min and max.

I *think* this is the first time you've caught one of the these mysterious power cycles, since setting a lower ramp pressure lower than your minimum pressure. We still don't know whether the device will auto-resume at minimum pressure or ramp pressure. Any chance of posting the graph, another set of eyes might pick something up.

Do you use MyAir, does MyAir show an additional Mask Off?

Some thoughts:
  • It goes without saying that, both your original ResMed and spare, both demonstrating this rare power-cycling problem would be astronomical.
  • You're running an old version of OSCAR. I believe some of the bug fixes between 1.4 and 1.2 has been how are th gaps filled in when presenting missing or corrupt data. I'm still not ruling out an OSCAR presentation issue, especially since it's an old version, with bugs that have been addressed.
  • You might have an undervoltage (brownout) condition. The undervoltage, could be enough to disrupt the ResMed, but not enough to trigger you power-fail alarm.

tisket

Post by tisket » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:30 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I am at work so I can't check OSCAR at the moment. When I get home I will post the graphs. I will then update OSCAR but remember the first time I became aware of this was when I woke up and found the machine was off (and dark, didn't respond to controls) despite everything else having power. So I don't think it's OSCAR. The machine was definitely in a powered down state.

Don't have the machine synced to MyAir, wasn't sure how that would work with me already having another machine (which I should be getting back) synced to it.

Brownouts are possible. I may need to buy a UPS, not sure what kind/capacity I would need. Probably different than the one I use for my computer. Strange this would just start happening now after years. But possible.

This surge suppressor strip (Rocketfish) has some outlets which are linked to others, e.g. they only get power while the master outlet is being used. This is meant to save power to your monitor and printer for example if your computer is turned off. I am not using these but since there is some "cut power to these outlets" circuitry in there, maybe it's affecting things somehow even if I am not using the dependent outlets. Plan to try an APC surge suppressor strip without any such feature.