Just can't sleep with my mask on!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Harryno

Just can't sleep with my mask on!

Post by Harryno » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:33 am

Hi I got my CPAP machine a few years ago and there have been a couple of brief periods when I was able to sleep with it but I wasn't diligent and going back to using it is a huge challenge. I have a res med unit and most recently got a quite comfortable nasal pillow mask. I am in touch occasionally with the doctor who specializes and sleep medicine and she has encouraged me to go back to practicing wearing it with the machine on for a while every evening for a week or so. I've tried this but can't sleep with it on. Mainly, with whatever mask, I find I can't tolerate having something sitting under my nose. But I have tried to sleep and being persistent I have ended up awake all night. Right now I am just worrying The mask alone in the evening watching TV to get used to the field without having a machine on and then my plan is to try sleeping with just the mask, and then move on to attaching the hose and turning on the machine. This is very frustrating because I know of the health risk and I frequently wake up in the morning feeling lousy with a headache, often short of breath with my heart racing. I Don't have anything like a support team my family doctor just encourages me to use it and like I said I have intermittent communication with the sleep doctor. I am often frustrated with the fact that the government will spend so much money providing these machines to avoid long-term health risks and costs, but people are basically left to their own devices-no pun intended-to use the things. No wonder there is such a poor level of compliance.
I have had a very stressful year much of the time which obviously doesn't help sleeping. Part of the problems is my migraines but obviously OSA only makes that worse
Any help or suggestions will be really appreciated!
Last edited by Harryno on Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Re: Just can't sleep with my mask on!

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:38 am

Do you take any medications of any kind (even OTC)? If so, what?

Do you have a problem falling asleep once you remove the cpap mask? How long does it take to fall asleep once you remove the mask?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:44 am

How much caffeine do you drink?

Harryno

Post by Harryno » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:51 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:38 am
Do you take any medications of any kind (even OTC)? If so, what?

Do you have a problem falling asleep once you remove the cpap mask? How long does it take to fall asleep once you remove the mask?
I take several medications. The most important ones to mention are effexor 300mg/ day. Pregabalin 150 mg 2x/day diazepam 2mg 2x/day. Quetiapine 25-75 mg @ night for sleep but rarely go to 75mg

Harryno

Post by Harryno » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:52 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:44 am
How much caffeine do you drink?
1 or 2 strong cups of coffee a day. I'm going to try to limit myself to my morning cup

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:53 am

Please list all meds.
You might be surprised and what meds might be messing with ability to fall asleep or stay asleep.

Also please answer my other question.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:56 am

Trying to figure out
1...if you are just maybe hypersensitive to the mask/cpap thing
2...if your meds are maybe contributing to the maybe hypersensitive situation
3...if you have a sleep problem in general that cpap is making worse.

To fix any problem you first have to identify the root problem.

Harryno

Post by Harryno » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:59 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:53 am
Please list all meds.
You might be surprised and what meds might be messing with ability to fall asleep or stay asleep.

Also please answer my other question.
I fall asleep pretty quickly, like in 20 minutes or so usually, without the mask.

Atorvastatin flomax pentoprazole candesartin

Harryno

Post by Harryno » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:20 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:56 am
Trying to figure out
1...if you are just maybe hypersensitive to the mask/cpap thing
2...if your meds are maybe contributing to the maybe hypersensitive situation
3...if you have a sleep problem in general that cpap is making worse.

To fix any problem you first have to identify the root problem.
I think I am very sensitive to things on my skin . I have no idea if any medication could be making me more sensitive to the mask on my face. That's a good question but I have no reason to think so. And there is is always the fiddling with the masking bed to have a good seal that is still relatively comfortable and adjusting to the airflow from the mask (which does ramp up) while I try to sleep. And and rearranging the hose if i roll over...)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:33 am

Quetiapine
This is used to help you fall asleep???? Is that correct? You aren't using it for what it was originally prescribed for?? Is that correct. I assume as a sleep aid since you say you can vary the dose. Do you take it every night or just prn?

Has it helped at all with helping you fall asleep without cpap/mask being worn?
Any help at all with cpap/mask being worn???
If taken as a sleep aid I am wondering just how effective it is in general. There are other sleep aids that require a RX that might be a better choice.
Have you tried other RX sleep aids and they failed to help? If you did...what did you try?

If someone offers any OTC sleep aid...please, please run it by your doctor before you go taking it.
You take a lot of meds for various conditions and the OTC sleep aids might not be a good mix for you with your other meds and/or the health problems you are taking those meds for.

It's very common for the addition of cpap and mask added to the nighttime routine to cause some sleep onset insomnia in some people. Especially for those that already have a history of trouble sleeping and you are taking some meds that are known to cause problems with sleep. Your cholesterol medication and your BP meds along with the Effexor are each known to make it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep...so it is very possible they they are compounding your problem of falling asleep.

If it is just the newness to cpap/mask situation that is causing the sleep onset insomnia the standard advice is to use it during the day while awake so that the brain and body get accustomed to their new best friend but when people already have a sleep problem and they are taking meds that might compound the problem and they just can't get over the hump and fall asleep at all with the mask and machine being on...maybe time for RX help to get over that hump.
I don't know how long to tell you to try the "awake use of the mask and machine" before you ask for additional help.
Sorry but my crystal ball is broken and not much help. Each person is an individual and time for any adjustments just varies widely.

In all honesty I would suggest that you have a heart to heart with your doctor about your problem falling asleep.
Maybe there is something else available that is safe to use with your other meds and your general overall health conditions.

This medication...pentoprazole or the class of medication it is in.
really, really messed with my ability to fall asleep and stay asleep when I tried it for pain relief. Not to mention it just plain made me feel horrible mentally. It is of course something that YMMV with but it has the potential to really mess with sleep...this class of medication.

Google the side affects with all of your meds and dig deep (look at multiple resources) as to how they might impact sleep.
Insomnia is a common side effect and while maybe not horrible side effect without cpap/mask is introduction they could really accentuate a problem once the additional sensory stimulus of cpap/mask used is added to the situation.
Can make people sort of more hyper sensitive to external stimulus kind of thing.

Please note I am NOT advising stopping any medication because that's something that is between you and your doctor.
I am only trying to point out that some meds can make sleep problems worse in some people and then when we add in cpap/mask sensory input increase...compounds the problem.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:38 am

The sensory overload problem is very real....and not very easy to fix.
I do think you are probably experiencing it.

You might want to read this
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... er_19.html
if nothing else it will help you realize that you aren't alone and there is light far away at the end of the tunnel.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:29 am

Mask liners (like padacheek) may help you with your sensitivity.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:46 pm

Harryno wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:20 am
I think I am very sensitive to things on my skin . I have no idea if any medication could be making me more sensitive to the mask on my face. That's a good question but I have no reason to think so. And there is is always the fiddling with the masking bed to have a good seal that is still relatively comfortable and adjusting to the airflow from the mask (which does ramp up) while I try to sleep. And and rearranging the hose if i roll over...)
If you have problems organizing your CPAP tubing, take a look at this sort of thing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034 ... UTF8&psc=1

Using a "hose hanger" like this keeps track of your CPAP tubing, keeps it off your bed and no worries about rolling over on it or getting it wrapped around body parts *smile*.

Has worked for me for years and years *sigh*.

Harryno

Post by Harryno » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:02 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:29 am
Mask liners (like padacheek) may help you with your sensitivity.
Thanks! I'll have a look

Harryno

Post by Harryno » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:04 pm

RogerSC wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:46 pm
Harryno wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:20 am
If you have problems organizing your CPAP tubing, take a look at this sort of thing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034 ... UTF8&psc=1

Using a "hose hanger" like this keeps track of your CPAP tubing, keeps it off your bed and no worries about rolling over on it or getting it wrapped around body parts *smile*.

Has worked for me for years and years *sigh*.
Great I'll check it out