Anyone Else Referred to Sleep Study By Psychiatrist

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Griff

Re: Anyone Else Referred to Sleep Study By Psychiatrist

Post by Griff » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:44 am

Wow! This thread was created such a long time ago that I had actually forgotten about it until I just recently rediscovered it here. I have been absent from this forum (which was the only one at the time - from what I can remember) since shortly after my last post in 2006. My CPAP therapy has gone so well since then that I was drawn away by other things in my life. It wasn't until after the Philips recall that I started cruising sleep forums again.

In hindsight, after re-reading through this post, I'm a little embarrassed at my naivety, and view of my world back then. As I said, my therapy has worked wonders for me over the years, and it has certainly alleviated a lot of the debilitating symptoms stemming from my lack of quality sleep at the time. But my view back then that it might be a way of treating my depression was, unfortunately, fairly flawed. Looking back I was most definitely in a "cpaper's high" (as DSM put it) at the time. So, from the perspective of someone 16 years older and a wee bit wiser, I just wanted to share that although this didn't affect my depression in the way that I had hoped, it did affect my life in a very positive way - which in turn, ultimately helped me cope with my depression.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:41 am

Griff, thank you so much for returning to share this perspective. Such a thoughtful post -- one that I hope will help other people confronting depression and sleep apnea. And it's so good to hear you're feeling well!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:30 pm

griff, i agree with miss e wholeheartedly! we see people come in so anxious to get things to work for them. and many of them we never see again. it makes me wonder where they went.

so thanks for coming by and updating the forum.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Architect

Post by Architect » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:20 pm

It's been years, sorry can't remember all the details. I was feeling super tired everyday, almost unfunctional = depression. After psychology appt, no mental abnormalities, then on to numerous appts, I was sent to cardiology. Cardio did a complete heart work up, over night heart test, stress test, ultra sound, the whole works, found nothing wrong with my heart. Cardio, referred me to sleep clinic, mild sleep apnea was discovered. Believed 7 events. Sent home.

Long story short, overtime my thyroid swelled slowly 5 years, CT scan done, thyroid was crushing my trachea. Immediate surgery. Afterwards another sleep test, 33 events per hour, 40 during REM. All my troubles began with my thyroid. Wow ! what a journey.

Architect

Post by Architect » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:30 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:30 pm
griff, i agree with miss e wholeheartedly! we see people come in so anxious to get things to work for them. and many of them we never see again. it makes me wonder where they went.

Agree..... Sleep clinic tech was praising me, for pap use over the years. Clinic staff shared 50%-60% patients, give up on pap therapy :shock: Back then, I asked how do you know, tech shared by how many hours thier on pap therapy.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:08 pm

Architect wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:30 pm

Agree..... Sleep clinic tech was praising me, for pap use over the years. Clinic staff shared 50%-60% patients, give up on pap therapy :shock: Back then, I asked how do you know, tech shared by how many hours thier on pap therapy.
my very first conversation with any cpap user came at the airport. i had just ordered mine but it han't arrived yet. gentleman was showing his cpap in it's case to the folk at security. i eagerly asked him about it.

he said "man, i really wish i could talk to you but i gotta catch this flight. but the MOST important thing about cpap is DON'T GIVE UP! 60 percent do and never get the benefit."

truer words were never spoken.

hey, maybe it was the same guy!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Architect

Post by Architect » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:48 pm

:?
zonker wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:08 pm
Architect wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:30 pm

my very first conversation with any cpap user came at the airport. i had just ordered mine but it han't arrived yet. gentleman was showing his cpap in it's case to the folk at security. i eagerly asked him about it.

he said "man, i really wish i could talk to you but i gotta catch this flight. but the MOST important thing about cpap is DON'T GIVE UP! 60 percent do and never get the benefit."

truer words were never spoken.

hey, maybe it was the same guy!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Could possibly be :D 3 sleep techs use pap therapy, at my clinic. They definetly can relate to anything I share. I was very surprised how many pap users give up. My sisters hubby, received his cpap/supplies a month ago, and refuse to use it :?

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pm

Architect wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:48 pm

Could possibly be :D 3 sleep techs use pap therapy, at my clinic. They definetly can relate to anything I share. I was very surprised how many pap users give up. My sisters hubby, received his cpap/supplies a month ago, and refuse to use it :?
i really hate to say this, but once you've been on this forum for enough years, it's sort of self evident. many people come here looking for help. they are hoping it's just a "quick fix", something they have overlooked. but mostly, it's not.

it takes dedication. it takes looking at every single aspect of your sleep.i've been at this for seven years. i've just now come to the conclusion that, unfortunately, it's not always a matter of getting the lowest ahi. for me. it's comfort over a chart that shows an ahi of 0.

a lot of people simply have no time for such dedication. i'm NOT making fun of them. it's simply a fact. television bombards us with commercials urging us to "ask our doctors about" whatever horse manure they are pushing. as george carlin said a long time a go "pop a chocks!" " head mouth, head mouth". the pill will make you feel better.

for some, that's true. for some of us, it takes more than that.

sorry, i shouldn't have two glasses of wine before posting. :roll:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac