Help with my Airfit F20 mask leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SunflowerGM

Help with my Airfit F20 mask leaks

Post by SunflowerGM » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:02 pm

I am a newbie of 3 weeks. I have a airfit F20 mask. Every night I have air leaks even though the resumed machine says my seal is good. I wake up to either farting sounds or rushing wave type sounds. I tighten my straps. I Loosen my straps. I got another size mask to see if that made a difference. I got an air touch mask with the memory foam with no difference in the air leaks. I feel like my quality sleep is even less because I am being woke up when I finally go to sleep. My pressure was set at 4 to 20. I turned it down to 4 to 17. No difference. The tech that I received all the equipment from has not been helpful. Been trying to search the internet for solutions. I am a mouth breather so I guess I need the full mask.
Any suggestions that might help? I am trying to stay with this….but it is so discouraging!

zonker

Re: Help with my Airfit F20 mask leaks

Post by zonker » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:07 pm

SunflowerGM wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:02 pm
I am a newbie of 3 weeks.
welcome to the zoo! sorry that i didn't see you here last night.
I have a airfit F20 mask.
i would suggest that you go to youtube and search for mask fitting videos. be sure to include airfit f20 in the search. you may have to watch several in order to get the idea.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

cyberdreamer

Post by cyberdreamer » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:25 pm

SunflowerGM wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:02 pm
I am a newbie of 3 weeks. I have a airfit F20 mask. Every night I have air leaks even though the resumed machine says my seal is good. I wake up to either farting sounds or rushing wave type sounds. I tighten my straps. I Loosen my straps. I got another size mask to see if that made a difference. I got an air touch mask with the memory foam with no difference in the air leaks. I feel like my quality sleep is even less because I am being woke up when I finally go to sleep. My pressure was set at 4 to 20. I turned it down to 4 to 17. No difference. The tech that I received all the equipment from has not been helpful. Been trying to search the internet for solutions. I am a mouth breather so I guess I need the full mask.
Any suggestions that might help? I am trying to stay with this….but it is so discouraging!
Hi!

Any chance you can try another full face mask like the (e.g. Resmed F30, F&P Vitera, ...)? In my opinion, 3 weeks is a long time without achieving a decent seal with little leaks. Mask fit is very personal and, from the reports here, it takes time to find one appropriate for oneself.

Before we can help you with adjusting the pressure, you need to install OSCAR, read the machine data from its sd card (hopefully you have a data capable machine) and post some pictures of your data here. I think there's a sticky explaining how to do all this.
Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset (humidity 7, slimline hose) (5 years)
Mask: Resmed F30 (medium) (1 year)
Previous masks: Swift FX Nano (5 years); Dreamwear Nasal (few days); Swift FX pillow (few days)
Sleep study in 2016 with AHI 12 and some oxy desats

RoRo

Post by RoRo » Mon May 09, 2022 2:46 pm

Please check your prescription for the pressure setting, or range of pressure if APAP, and set it to that. If the Dr just has 4-20 prescibed, that's the entire pressure range of the machine. It needs to be narrowed down to what you specifically need. Try talking to your Dr about the pressure you need. This may need to be adjusted over time as you adjust to cpap use.

You can also use the OSCAR software to help you see what occurs during the night.

If a large leak occurs, the machine can/will raise the pressure to compensate, but, raising the pressure too high could just cause a larger leak or sustain the leak that is occuring. That's just one reason why you need the proper pressure range setting. For example, if the DR has a range of 5-9 prescribed, it won't go above 9. However, if it's set for 4-20, it could go way above what you need, causing leaks and waking you up disrupting your sleep.

Also, depending on your mask and type, it has a range of pressures it was designed for; although most are designed to function in the full range of 4-20. Check the documentation of your mask. This will also tell you the acceptable leak rate for that particular mask. Anything above this level is considered a large leak. Compare this number to the leak(s) you experience. (That's one reason to use the OSCAR software.) If your number is larger that the specs, then you may need to make adjustments.

BTW, I use the same mask and have been using it for 2 years now. I still have occasional leaks; I'm a mouth breather and I'm a side sleeper and move alot in my sleep. No mask is perfect, but so far this one is best for me.

Architect

Post by Architect » Thu May 12, 2022 4:16 pm

I had same issue, silent night mask liner resolved. Good luck...