Fluid build up and fatigue . . .

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Breakdown

Fluid build up and fatigue . . .

Post by Breakdown » Fri May 06, 2022 1:57 pm

I'm usually a professional sleeper, but this week has not treated me well, I'm really beginning to connect a lot of dots since starting therapy a couple of years back.

I use a Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle and nasal pads. According to the numbers on my phone last night I would have crossed over 5,000 hours. My pressure number is 9.0.

So here's the problem. Every night this week I've been waking up a lot. Its not taking much to get back to sleep, but here's the other thing going on, lots of fluids in the hose and mask area. Even when I turned down the humidity last night.

My educated guess or theory as to what's going on is this. Allergy congestion and I'm not pulling in enough air, which is causing fluid build up. The numbers on my phone for apneas are all well under 5.0 for Apneas. Which to me tells me my breathing doesn't stop, but it siphons. I've tried the face mask and have one, but thus far, I've never succeeded in actually losing consciousness with this on, and breathing this way.

I can confidently say that prior to CPAP, I would go through allergy season sleeping 16 hours a day.

Two questions.

1.) What if anything are the negative effects of me turning up the pressure to 12.0 in the hopes of keeping my airway clear. Does that actually work for anyone??
2.) I don't want to gross anyone out, but I'd honestly try drinking my own urine if someone convinced me that it would relieve my congestion. I do one 24 Claritin D per day, try to avoid nasal spray, but have to use, and as required use Advil Cold & SInus. I know people will tell me that's too much but the other option is getting that tube that goes between my ear and nose all screwed up, and then the world starts spinning. If that happens while driving it WILL result in my car ending up upside down somewhere. I did allergy shots for 2.5 years and aside from swelling my arm to the point where shirts no longer fit they didn't accomplish much or anything. Also . . . I'm in Southwestern Ontario. My other option is to move. My allergies do not exist in Ohio or Michigan (regardless of time of year - as long as you keep me away from cats). Any other solutions that don't involve uprooting my life and moving would be welcome.

Pugsy

Re: Fluid build up and fatigue . . .

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 06, 2022 2:20 pm

Breakdown wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:57 pm
here's the other thing going on, lots of fluids in the hose and mask area.
It's rainout or condensation. Has nothing to do with your allergies and everything to do with the humidity in the mask and hose and the ambient bedroom temperature.

See here...posts number 2 and 3 for your various options.
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t9403 ... -road.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Breakdown

Post by Breakdown » Fri May 06, 2022 4:33 pm

Appreciated, I have a couple of things I can checkout tonight, I'll try and bump the t-stat up a little. My room has been a constant 18-20 every night. I do have a heated hose, I'll do what I can to ensure that it's working.

My hose dips to the floor because of my proximity to the CPAP, I've got it at least 6" lower than my head level where I sleep.

I still do struggle with congestion, I woke up this morning struggling to get enough air through my nose which is a going concern at this time of year. I'm still left wondering how much congestion is affecting my overall breathing in my sleep.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri May 06, 2022 4:43 pm

I'm not sure why you're avoiding nasal sprays. Plain saline sprays can clean allergens and other gunk out of your nose, and Flonase can help to reduce swelling. (It takes a few weeks to kick in, so you'd need to be patient.) And nasal rinses, like NeilMed, are often recommended by allergists and ENT docs for people with major allergy problems. I hope something will work for you!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri May 06, 2022 8:39 pm

I am confused by one Claritin being too much? I take a min of 2 and sometimes up to 4 zyrtec a day to keep breathing during allergy season. As I have battled chronic hives and asthma my entire adult life, this is a very small amount compared to what my allergist has told me I can take. I can alternate Zyrtec/ Allegra and Benadryl in very large quantities but I save the others for my hive outbreaks. I have had multiple allergists over many years prescribe very high doses of antihistamines. I also use flonase and have other prescription nasal sprays as well. The only thing they ever said to watch out for is the afrin. They say that one is bad. Why not go talk to an allergist ?

Breakdown

Post by Breakdown » Fri May 06, 2022 9:06 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:43 pm
I'm not sure why you're avoiding nasal sprays. Plain saline sprays can clean allergens and other gunk out of your nose, and Flonase can help to reduce swelling. (It takes a few weeks to kick in, so you'd need to be patient.) And nasal rinses, like NeilMed, are often recommended by allergists and ENT docs for people with major allergy problems. I hope something will work for you!
Nasal sprays like this Drixoral are habit forming. I have no issues with using Flonase or doing the salt rinse - it's annoying as hell, but I've done 100+ of those.

Claritin one a day is normal. Using 4+ Advil cold and sinus for a week straight cannot be overly good for you. I have flonase, but don't utilize it too much, I'll try and get more on a schedule of that stuff.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri May 06, 2022 9:49 pm

Rainout:
You don't mention which type of equipment you're using.
For machines with built in heated hose, both machine and hose have as small metal "things" on their business side.

Disconnect your machine from the electricity, disconnect your hose from the machine, look for the metal connector on them - those that let the machine transmit electricity to the hose for creating the heat.
Put some in rubbing alcohol, on a piece of cotton wool or q-tip, make sure they're not dripping, and carefully swab whichever metal connectors you can get to. You don't necessarily see the gunk collecting on the charging plates -- but it happens, and may keep the hose from heating. Let the alcohol dry before you reconnect.

Here, for example, is an image of the connecting side of a Resmed S9 heated hose https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... te-control, it's those three little golden dots that I had to swab to get my hose warming again.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 06, 2022 10:20 pm

Breakdown wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:06 pm
Nasal sprays like this Drixoral are habit forming.
"drixoral spray" is just rebranded Afrin.

"habit forming" isn't a good description.

You become dependent on it if "used as directed". If you just use once a day, (at night) you're *MUCH* less likely to become dependent on it,

Getting off it is relatively easy, just stop on one side, let that side get stuff while you keep breathing through the other side of your nose, and when the stuffyness subsides, then stop using it in the other side.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Sat May 07, 2022 8:13 am

palerider wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:20 pm

Afrin - Satan's snot. Stay far away.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 07, 2022 10:29 am

Breakdown wrote:
I did allergy shots for 2.5 years and aside from swelling my arm to the point where shirts no longer fit they didn't accomplish much or anything.
How long has it been since you had a consultation with a good ENT/Allergist?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 07, 2022 10:32 am

loggerhead12 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:13 am
Afrin can be very helpful when used once per day for three or four days to help with treatment of a cold.

But you are correct, Afrin is inappropriate for a chronic condition.

Breakdown

Post by Breakdown » Sat May 07, 2022 4:37 pm

ozij wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:49 pm
Rainout:
For machines with built in heated hose, both machine and hose have as small metal "things" on their business side.

Disconnect your machine from the electricity, disconnect your hose from the machine, look for the metal connector on them - those that let the machine transmit electricity to the hose for creating the heat.
Put some in rubbing alcohol, on a piece of cotton wool or q-tip, make sure they're not dripping, and carefully swab whichever metal connectors you can get to. You don't necessarily see the gunk collecting on the charging plates -- but it happens, and may keep the hose from heating. Let the alcohol dry before you reconnect.

Here, for example, is an image of the connecting side of a Resmed S9 heated hose https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... te-control, it's those three little golden dots that I had to swab to get my hose warming again.
The hose seems cool lately to be honest. Last night was tolerable but still rainout material.

I just grabbed some rubbing alcohol. I like this theory as to why I'm encountering this, and appreciate the help. I'm also looking forward to turning down the t-stat on the house.

I also appreciate the kind reminder about unplugging the unit. Seems like common sense, but definitely never hurts to remind people.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat May 07, 2022 11:38 pm

loggerhead12 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:13 am
palerider wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:20 pm

A clever (and quite good) ENT told me that if I only used Afrin *ONCE* a day, I could use it for a month and not get dependent on it.

She was right.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Breakdown

Post by Breakdown » Sun May 08, 2022 8:39 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:29 am
Breakdown wrote:
I did allergy shots for 2.5 years and aside from swelling my arm to the point where shirts no longer fit they didn't accomplish much or anything.
How long has it been since you had a consultation with a good ENT/Allergist?
It is literally impossible to get a consultation here. In my position you have to lie.

They will ONLY get you an appointment if you promise to go on allergy shots once you know what you're allergic to. Otherwise they don't care. Wait time for consultations is up to a year.

My uncle has a very interesting theory, it would explain why my allergies started relatively late in life, and why they don't exist in the United States. Roadside weeds and roadside spraying. I think that this plays a huge role in some of those issues.

Breakdown

Post by Breakdown » Sun May 08, 2022 8:41 pm

ozij wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:49 pm
Rainout:

Mine's a Fisker Paykel. It's the hose that came with it but an upgrade.

Either huge coincidence or you're 100% right. Did NOT wet the bed last night. Felt good. Also turned the t-stat at home down and the humidity up on the CPAP. No condensation issues. I didn't notice anything on the connectors, but did clean them off with Alcohol.