ResMed Airsense 10 compared to Phillips Dreamstation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bettiola

ResMed Airsense 10 compared to Phillips Dreamstation

Post by bettiola » Sat May 07, 2022 12:50 am

I used a ResMed Airsense 10 for so long I now officially own it. Last year my sleep disorders doctor switched me to the Phillips Dream Station, the one that got recalled soon after I started using it. She wanted me to switch because she said it gives her more information. I’m not very happy with the Dream Station, even though Phillips sent me a new one to replace the recalled one.
Here are the things I don’t like about it:
1. I find the water reservoir difficult to fill without spilling.
2. I don’t like that I have to have it lower than my bed, which means an extra piece of furniture for it to sit on, taking up room in my small bedroom.
3. I don't like that I can’t see the screen from my bed.
4. It always tells me every night that I have 100% mask fit which I don’t believe is true. (According to my ResMed when I sleep on my back my mask leaks below the acceptable rate.)
5. I can’t turn it off without unplugging it (the Resmed I can).
6. The software is slower and less responsive with the Dream Station.
7. After 11am it automatically switches to the next day - since I often sleep unusual hours this means I get inaccurate readings of how long I was asleep.
8. It doesn’t pack up as neatly and compactly for traveling as the ResMed.
9. The water reservoir is awkward to take out and put back in.
I just don’t think it’s as well designed and engineered as the ResMed, at least from my perspective.
I’m interested to know if anyone else who has had both machines has the same complaints as I do about the Dream Station.
I’ve asked my doctor if it’s ok to switch back to the ResMed but she doesn’t answer my messages.

ChicagoGranny

Re: ResMed Airsense 10 compared to Phillips Dreamstation

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 07, 2022 5:50 am

bettiola wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:50 am
I’m interested to know if anyone else who has had both machines has the same complaints as I do about the Dream Station.
Hundreds of members know that ResMed machines are significantly superior to Philips machines. When members ask for machine recommendations, it's always ResMed that is recommended. Stay away from Respironics.
bettiola wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:50 am
She wanted me to switch because she said it gives her more information.
The Philips salesperson is bringing her more gifts.

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Sat May 07, 2022 7:30 am

CPAP User. Presently switching between two machines. Resmed Aircurve 10 that I got used, also have a Dreamstation 1 that I purchased new. The Dreamstation air chamber has been replaced with a no-foam aftermarket part. I don't see any significant difference in the overall user experience. Both machines do a good job.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sat May 07, 2022 7:37 am

Are you referring to Dreamstation 1 or Dreamstation 2 ?

Having recently transitioned from Dream 1 to Airsense 11, each machine has it’s pros and cons, however from practical experience IMO the data available (recorded and reported by OSCAR) is fairly equivalent. I have no idea if the information, sent by modem to a doctor’s office is as complete as the data on the SD card.

I will offer this observation (applies to comparing dream 1 versus Airsense 11) :
1) I dislike the humidifier filling process on the Airsense 11
2) I observe no difference in response time between the machines.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat May 07, 2022 7:57 am

When doctors make recommendations like that, I always wonder if they are affiliated with, or owner of, the place that sells CPAPs.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat May 07, 2022 8:28 am

switch machines (back to ResMed) and switch doctors to one who won't ignore your phone calls.

ignore dataq1 he insists forum members must not disagree with doctors

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sun May 08, 2022 6:03 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:28 am
ignore dataq1 he insists forum members must not disagree with doctors
Intentional provocation to probe for a derailing defense?

For the original posters benefit I offered my observations regarding comparison between machines.

I do strongly suggest that persons (including forum members) who are under a physicians care consult and discuss that care with their physician.

End of defense….. back to the topic
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sun May 08, 2022 4:49 pm

I switched to a ResMed due to the recall. I am MUCH happier than I ever was with the Philips machine. I'm so glad I switched. If I were you I'd return the Philips and get a new ResMed, or go back to your old one if it still works.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

bettiola

Post by bettiola » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:06 am

Update: Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post. My update is that I was finally able to reach my doctor by calling her directly. She said that the Phillips gives her more breath to breath data, but that I could switch back to the ResMed if I wanted to, provided I would be willing to use the Phillips Dream Station occasionally so she could get the data she needs. Since switching back to the ResMed Airsense 10 my AHI numbers have been much lower. I find it to be a much better machine, at least for me.

mummmz

Post by mummmz » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 am

The data is there, the doctor is just more familiar with what she sees using the Phillips program. I switched from the Dreamstation 1 to the Airsense 11 recently and I am very happy with my new machine. I read the humidifier tank was smaller on the 11 than the Airsense 10 but I don't use heated humidity. I do put distilled water in the tank and it lasted about 5 day. Last night it went empty and I woke to a dry mouth. I put both machines on my night table which is level with my head with no problem. I had not read the Dreamstation needed to be lower. I agree the Dreamstation almost always reported 100% mask fit which I knew was not correct. There were times I took it off to go to the bathroom and left it running. How could that not be a large leak? You can get into the settings to change the time it starts a new day with both machines. Both machines can be turned off by pressing the top button although it is still in a "ready" state.

bettiola

Post by bettiola » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks for the additional information. I didn't know you could re-set the time for when a new day starts. I never could find a way for the light to go out on the Dreamstation, but on the ResMed it's easy to by just holding down the off/on button longer than usual. The instructions that come with the Dreamstation do say that the machine must be lower than the mattress, but they don't say why. I’m so happy to be back with the Airsense 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:27 pm

mummmz wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 am
The data is there, the doctor is just more familiar with what she sees using the Phillips program.
+1
bettiola wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:46 am
The instructions that come with the Dreamstation do say that the machine must be lower than the mattress, but they don't say why.
:o Philips should explain why this is. It may be in case a user has rainout, the water tends to flow back into the humidifier tank instead of the user's face.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:00 pm

bettiola wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:06 am
She said that the Phillips gives her more breath to breath data,
Your doctor is wrong.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:09 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:00 pm
bettiola wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:06 am
She said that the Phillips gives her more breath to breath data,
Your doctor is wrong.
You need a different doctor--and return the POS she obviously got a kickback on.

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:06 am

I have both Resmed S10 and Dreamstation 1 and see no difference in performance.
I see no reason to place the Dreamstation low or on the floor. Mine is at head level while sleeping, Just make sure you dont overfill the water reservoir.
I replaced my Dreamststion 1 air chamber with a no-Foam unit from Amazon.