Resmed Airsense 11 - AC/DC adapter?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Scott_G

Re: Resmed Airsense 11 - AC/DC adapter?

Post by Scott_G » Thu May 05, 2022 6:42 pm

Rock Star wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:22 pm
Color me silly I thought it was you who said that when the voltage went low Airsense 11 could burn up
New account, SleepGeek? Sure sounds like you. Either way.... Ok, you are silly. You did ask me to color you.

There were two separate issues debated earlier in this thread, and you are either deliberately conflating them to confuse people or are confused yourself. One regarded powering the AS11 from a 12v source via the Resmed DC-to-DC boost converter (as discussed in most recent question). The other was about the possible ramifications of powering directly from a 24V battery source WITHOUT a low-voltage cutoff (i.e., two 12V batteries in series, with direct cable to AS11).

Using the DC-to-DC converter, as engineered by Resmed, power is cut by the converter when input from the battery sinks below 11.4V. Directly connecting a 24V battery source does not provide any low-voltage cutoff, and the effects of lower-than-designed voltage on the AS11 input is still unknown. It may shutdown gracefully or it may malfunction. If you have tested the AS11 at lower voltage inputs as would occur when a direct connected 24V battery source is depleted, please do share your data.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu May 05, 2022 7:38 pm

Scott_G wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:42 pm
Rock Star wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:22 pm
Color me silly I thought it was you who said that when the voltage went low Airsense 11 could burn up
New account, SleepGeek? Sure sounds like you. Either way.... Ok, you are silly. You did ask me to color you.

There were two separate issues debated earlier in this thread, and you are either deliberately conflating them to confuse people or are confused yourself. One regarded powering the AS11 from a 12v source via the Resmed DC-to-DC boost converter (as discussed in most recent question). The other was about the possible ramifications of powering directly from a 24V battery source WITHOUT a low-voltage cutoff (i.e., two 12V batteries in series, with direct cable to AS11).

Using the DC-to-DC converter, as engineered by Resmed, power is cut by the converter when input from the battery sinks below 11.4V. Directly connecting a 24V battery source does not provide any low-voltage cutoff, and the effects of lower-than-designed voltage on the AS11 input is still unknown. It may shutdown gracefully or it may malfunction. If you have tested the AS11 at lower voltage inputs as would occur when a direct connected 24V battery source is depleted, please do share your data.
My, my, my maybe we can get you back in your boat.

Kindly explain what YOU think will happen when the 24V battery voltage drops down, Please.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Scott_G

Post by Scott_G » Thu May 05, 2022 7:39 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:38 pm
Kindly explain what YOU think will happen when the 24V battery voltage drops down, Please.
Already answered long ago, TROLL. Get back under your bridge.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu May 05, 2022 8:05 pm

Scott_G wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:39 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:38 pm
Already answered long ago, TROLL. Back under your bridge please.
Absolutely, loggerhead YOU said it would burn up. But now YOU agree with what I said.
Scott_G wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:42 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:18 pm
My thinking is that the device will turnoff when it doesn't get the voltage it needs.

Maybe. Or maybe it will try to keep running, overheat and damage itself.
Unknown. The fact that the DC/DC converter has a specific input voltage shutdown could imply a safety shutdown based on output voltage. I’m certainly not going to test it on MY machine. :x
walnutc wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:52 pm
So I got the AirSense DC/DC to use with my deep cycle battery for camping with my resmed 11. It powers up, runs for awhile but intermittently shuts off - not sure if that is the power threshold you were talking about Scott. I don't know if you have recommendations for settings or to improve my setup so that it actually works consistently. I used to use battery -> converter/inverter? or something -> dc for my resmed 10 that died.
No maybe about it - it will shut off as mentioned above. So there is your proof, capnloki.
Scott_G wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:04 pm
I can’t fathom why you want to argue this, particularly from a position based on lack of factual evidence.
Now get back in your boat and sail off into the sunset.

SleepGeek wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:24 pm
I can't think of one DC powered device that will continue to run when voltage gets low much less overheat and damage itself. Can you point me to one?
Last edited by SleepGeek on Sat May 07, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Scott_G

Post by Scott_G » Thu May 05, 2022 8:16 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:05 pm
But now YOU agree with what I said.
Certainly not, but you know that and are only trying to stir up trouble. The very definition of Troll. You are deliberately mischaracterizing the past discussion with out-of-context quotes.

The AirMini DC-to-DC converter has a low-voltage cutoff, which is endorsed by Resmed, proven to work, and what I recommended. You asserted (without proof) that a 24V direct connection, without any low-voltage cutoff, would also work reliably. When you provide any proof, someone might listen. Until then, you are blowing smoke and trolling for your own entertainment. Buzz off.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 05, 2022 8:22 pm

Sigh....

Get strictly back on topic and desist with the crap talk totally please.

One warning only.
If it goes ignored....thread will get locked or disappear and you two will have to go find some other playground to crap in.
Take it private or whatever but this crap will stop right now.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SAG

Post by SAG » Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 am

walnutc wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:38 pm
Yeah fully charged battery, maybe a year old. I did notice the light went orange and green depending on if I was exhaling or inhaling, which seemed weird. I have tried my deep cycle battery directly connected to the air mini converter and plugged into a piece I had with my old setup that had the red/black -> 12v. Your setup is just your deep cycle battery -> converter? I'll have to look into the multimeter to double check, but I imagine it is the power draw dipping. Are there products that force it to draw a minimum amount? Or does it sound like I have something hooked up wrong?
Sounds like a weak battery. Time for a new and freshly charged battery. Im not aware of anything that can force it to draw a minimum amount. But there is no need for a logging meter any volt/ohm meter will work even one from Harbor Freight.
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf

walnutc

Post by walnutc » Fri May 06, 2022 11:06 am

SAG wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 am
walnutc wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:38 pm
Yeah fully charged battery, maybe a year old. I did notice the light went orange and green depending on if I was exhaling or inhaling, which seemed weird. I have tried my deep cycle battery directly connected to the air mini converter and plugged into a piece I had with my old setup that had the red/black -> 12v. Your setup is just your deep cycle battery -> converter? I'll have to look into the multimeter to double check, but I imagine it is the power draw dipping. Are there products that force it to draw a minimum amount? Or does it sound like I have something hooked up wrong?
Sounds like a weak battery. Time for a new and freshly charged battery. Im not aware of anything that can force it to draw a minimum amount. But there is no need for a logging meter any volt/ohm meter will work even one from Harbor Freight.
Using the same battery, my old setup of my "motor failing" resmed 10 works fine, but the new setup with the airmini cord and resmed 11 shuts off intermittently. Would that still mean it is a battery issue and not a new setup issue? I charged it up fully with my battery tender before testing it at home again and got the same results as with camping. Seemed to last some of the night initially, then would work for a few then shut off then turn back on then work for a bit etc. It is able to usually run multi nights on my old setup and had at least 50% charge or more after the 1st night. So my thought it is some weird interaction with the cord/resmed 11 combo rather than the battery, or I'm missing something or something else is wonky. Ill have to see if I have an ohm meter or look to get one to see whats going on exactly.

SAG

Post by SAG » Fri May 06, 2022 11:31 am

Connect a voltmeter to it before turning it on then watch what happens when it turns on or tries to turn on. Else its just a WAG.
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri May 06, 2022 12:51 pm

If it powered on it is likely connected correctly.
walnutc wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:06 am
Ill have to see if I have an ohm meter or look to get one to see whats going on exactly.
Anyone who uses battery power should have things to check the battery.
This one for $7 will do tho they do have others too.
https://www.harborfreight.com/electrica ... 63759.html

This would be helpful the OP.
https://www.harborfreight.com/electrica ... 61747.html

And this is also helpful for checking wall outlets. I used one in the airport terminal to identify why people couldn't charge their phones.
https://www.harborfreight.com/electrica ... 63929.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/electrica ... &current=1
They are here to help.

walnutc

Post by walnutc » Sat May 07, 2022 6:44 pm

So it looks like my battery fluctuates between 11 and 12 when I test the red/black connection. Then when I test it while running the CPAP it seems to stay consistently at 11, I checked for a couple of minutes but didn't experience the shutoff during that time. Although, the tester I own already only showed full values not any decimals so its tough to see exactly what it was outputting, it seems like the one you listed is more nuanced? Does this narrow down what my problem is any? @Scott_G do you have a link to the battery you use that seems to work? I have a standard marine deep cycle battery I've used but maybe its incompatible with my new setup?

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat May 07, 2022 7:16 pm

walnutc wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 6:44 pm
Then when I test it while running the CPAP it seems to stay consistently at 11, I checked for a couple of minutes but didn't experience the shutoff during that time. Although, the tester I own already only showed full values not any decimals so its tough to see exactly what it was outputting, it seems like the one you listed is more nuanced? Does this narrow down what my problem is any?
Hard to say since I don't know what meter you have.

I will say I wouldn't rely on that battery to last thru the nite. So that's your call - do you feel lucky?
They are here to help.

Ray4852

Post by Ray4852 » Sun May 08, 2022 7:14 am

If your battery fluctuates between 11 and 12 volts. you have a short in one of the cells. No marine deep cycle will operate on 11 volts. if your state of charge dropped that low. your battery is done. you must keep your state of charge between 12.70 full charge to 50 percent 12.20 state of charge. I like a charge of 12.36 70 percent drop. you can test any wet cell battery with a cheap voltmeter. touch the posts with your meter leads. this will tell you how many volts you have at that time. take your old battery to an auto store. they will test it for you.

what I use with my battery to montored my state of charge is a Victron smart shunt. this monitored will work with any battery. its the best way to see how many watts you have taken out of your battery. a 100 amp marine battery will hold 1200 watts. if you take it down half way. you used 600 watts from that battery. a cpap on just air will use 90 or more watts per night. the victron will do all the math for you.

walnutc

Post by walnutc » Sun May 08, 2022 2:57 pm

Okay, so as I understand it, my battery is too weak now. I need a new battery, but need to keep that battery above a certain capacity or else the same thing could happen?

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun May 08, 2022 6:45 pm

How were you charging the other battery?
They are here to help.