Started Having Apnea Events While Dosing Off While on CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SamInLasVegas

Started Having Apnea Events While Dosing Off While on CPAP

Post by SamInLasVegas » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:18 pm

I have been using an Air Sense 10 CPAP appliance with a nose cushion for the last four years. Initially, I struggled with it, but after about a year I seemed to adapt and the daytime fatigue has occurred less than it used to. Everything has been fine, generally speaking, but this past Monday night out of nowhere I started having "apnea events" just as I would begin to dose off and they would rouse me back up. I'd be fine for the first ten or fifteen minutes and then just as I would begin to dose off into sleep I would either snort or I would consciously feel my throat collapse and cause me to not completely fall asleep. This happened over and over for hours until I finally fell asleep sometime after 2:00 AM. For all intents and purposes, it was like I was to trying to sleep without the machine. Same thing again happened Tuesday night and I needed to take a Xanax to finally asleep because the anticipation of it happening got my anxiety going and even with the Xanax it took me longer than normal to fall asleep.

Has anyone experienced this before? It makes no sense to me for the therapy to suddenly stop helping me out of the blue after four years. What's really ironic is that this past Friday I slept terrific all the way through the night from about 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM without ever waking up, which I almost never do, and then two days later I'm now experiencing the opposite extreme. The machine seems to be functioning fine. I double checked the mask fitting and that seemed okay. I got into see my sleep therapist and he had no explanation other than maybe replacing the machine, but when I talked to my medical provider I was informed the insurance won't cover a new machine until it reaches an age of five years. The medical provider took a look at my stats and felt I had a higher rate of mask leakage than I should, perhaps due to breathing through my mouth, so she suggested I try switching from a nose cushion to a full face cushion. I picked one up yesterday afternoon and tried it out. I laid down to take a nap. I slept for about an hour and don't recall any snorting or throat collapsing, so I thought that may have been the problem, but last night even with the new mask I experienced similar issues. It didn't seem as bad as the last two nights and the myAir app shows significantly less leakage events than every night this past week, but I still dealt with that issue of snorting and my throat collapsing just as I would begin to fall asleep. I had to take another Xanax again last night to calm my nerves. I eventually fell asleep and don't recall waking up once I did until my alarm went off, but I struggled to get to sleep in the first place.

Looking for any suggestions here. Should I adjust the pressure settings on my machine to a higher pressure? Ramp is set to Auto and minimum pressure settings are the default of 4.

Miss Emerita

Re: Started Having Apnea Events While Dosing Off While on CPAP

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:30 pm

This sounds very frustrating! Do you know for sure that the events you're experiencing are obstructive rather than central? (Not sure exactly which machine you have. You may be able to see the breakdown of your AHI on the screen of your machine. If you don't see it now, go into the clinical menu by pushing and holding the home button and the round knob, then find the setting that will give you more information. Be sure the reporting period is set to 1 day.)

From your description, the events sure do sound obstructive. If they are, I recommend that you raise your minimum to 7 and turn off the ramp. See how that goes and let us know.

Also ask yourself what may have changed recently. New pillow? New sleep position? Weight gain? New medications?

Any chance you could use the Oscar software? You'd need a laptop or desktop, an SD card in your machine, and a way to read the card (slot in the computer or plug-in reader). If you could post a daily chart from Oscar, that could be a huge help.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

SamInLasVegas

Post by SamInLasVegas » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:38 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:30 pm
This sounds very frustrating! Do you know for sure that the events you're experiencing are obstructive rather than central? (Not sure exactly which machine you have. You may be able to see the breakdown of your AHI on the screen of your machine. If you don't see it now, go into the clinical menu by pushing and holding the home button and the round knob, then find the setting that will give you more information. Be sure the reporting period is set to 1 day.)
Thanks. I'll take a look at that when I get home.
From your description, the events sure do sound obstructive. If they are, I recommend that you raise your minimum to 7 and turn off the ramp. See how that goes and let us know.
I have considered raising the pressure, so I'll try that.
Also ask yourself what may have changed recently. New pillow? New sleep position? Weight gain? New medications?

The only thing I can think of that has recently changed is that I started taking Fluticasone nasal spray for allergies about two weeks ago. I mentioned that to my sleep therapist yesterday and he said he didn't feel that would be the cause.
Any chance you could use the Oscar software? You'd need a laptop or desktop, an SD card in your machine, and a way to read the card (slot in the computer or plug-in reader). If you could post a daily chart from Oscar, that could be a huge help.
Unfortunately, my machine has no SD card.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm

If your machine autoadjusts, I bet it has a slot for an SD card. Look at the top of the left side, near the front. You can buy an SD card -- get one that has 32 GB. They're cheap and easy to find.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 pm

Do you know your therapeutic pressure? Your P95? If so, perhaps adjust your start pressure up higher, closer to your therapeutic pressure.

I started out at 4 with ramp set to auto, it was just too low, especially since ramp takes like 25 minutes to get a person up to therapeutic pressure. So I moved my start pressure up slowly until I felt more comfortable. Now my start pressure is 7, which works out pretty well since my therapeutic pressure is 10. Meaning, once I get started at night, I don't have far to go to get good and settled.

I would feel anxious in your position, too. I might sit up in the evening watching TV or something, and wear my mask while playing with my start pressure.

I take fluticasone. Never noticed any side effects. The Xanax, on the other hand, might exacerbate the problem.

SamInLasVegas

Post by SamInLasVegas » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:37 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 pm
Do you know your therapeutic pressure? Your P95? If so, perhaps adjust your start pressure up higher, closer to your therapeutic pressure.

I started out at 4 with ramp set to auto, it was just too low, especially since ramp takes like 25 minutes to get a person up to therapeutic pressure. So I moved my start pressure up slowly until I felt more comfortable. Now my start pressure is 7, which works out pretty well since my therapeutic pressure is 10. Meaning, once I get started at night, I don't have far to go to get good and settled.

I would feel anxious in your position, too. I might sit up in the evening watching TV or something, and wear my mask while playing with my start pressure.

I take fluticasone. Never noticed any side effects. The Xanax, on the other hand, might exacerbate the problem.
I adjusted it to 6 last night. I still had an event before I fell completely asleep, but it did seem like it was happening less than the previous two nights. I'll bump it up a little bit more tonight and see if I notice any difference.

SamInLasVegas

Post by SamInLasVegas » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:38 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm
If your machine autoadjusts, I bet it has a slot for an SD card. Look at the top of the left side, near the front. You can buy an SD card -- get one that has 32 GB. They're cheap and easy to find.
Is this helpful at all? This is the data I get from the myAir app.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (43.37 KiB) Viewed 5563 times

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 am

Unfortunately that doesn’t give us the breakdown of your AHI, or the timing of your events, or your flow limitations. But if you felt a little better with a minimum of 6, then you could just go ahead and up that to 7. Keep us posted.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:10 am

Look on the face of your machine just in the lower right corner and tell us exactly what it says.

ResMed AirSense 10......
CPAP?
Elite?
AutoSet?
AutoSet for Her?

If it says "CPAP" then your machine isn't going to show any detailed data that might help figure out what is going on right when you are falling asleep.
That is unfortunate.

If it says anything other than "CPAP" then there will be additional data available but only by using a SD card and available software.

The CPAP model just gives a generic AHI number but no event category breakdown.
If that is what you have then about all you can do is try a little more pressure and see if it resolves your problem or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:21 am

Let us know how this goes. Blessings for peaceful 'uneventful' sleep.

SamInLasVegas

Post by SamInLasVegas » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:00 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:10 am
Look on the face of your machine just in the lower right corner and tell us exactly what it says.

ResMed AirSense 10......
CPAP?
Elite?
AutoSet?
AutoSet for Her?
AutoSet

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:05 am

SamInLasVegas wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:00 am
AutoSet
You have much more detailed data available.
Check this out
OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

Look especially at the bottom link for some examples of what you can see.

You will need a SD card in your machine to get the good detailed data though. If your machine doesn't have a SD card in the slot you need to go buy one. Any generic SD card 32 GB or less (don't go buying a 64 GB card) will work.
The SD Card HAS to be in the machine during the night to get the detailed data.

If you don't know where the SD card slot is on your machine this manual explains and shows where
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SamInLasVegas

Post by SamInLasVegas » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:05 am

If you don't know where the SD card slot is on your machine this manual explains and shows where
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf

I know where it's at on the machine, but I don't have an SD slot on my laptop, so I'm not sure how I'd get the data off of it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:35 pm

SamInLasVegas wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:02 pm
I know where it's at on the machine, but I don't have an SD slot on my laptop, so I'm not sure how I'd get the data off of it.
Do you have a USB port on your laptop?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=SD+card+read ... _sb_noss_2

nana of 3

Post by nana of 3 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:12 pm

I dont have slot on my laptop for an SD card either. I just went to Best Buy and paid $10 for an adapter...... easy as pie!

Cheers

Resmed Airsence 10 autoset and Bleep Dreamport mask