First Night!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Re: First Night!

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:18 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:43 pm
Anybody seen the new Medlock? It is a set of magnets that quickly connects your CPAP tube to your mask tubing. Really fast and easy. Very nice for those middle of the night disconnects. Went to buy one but, do you know, they cost $100?!

https://medlockusa.com/?ref=aliyp9ay40
I don't what the benefit of this is. I don't want anything adding extra weight to the hose connection to my mask. I could see that as a good adaptation for someone with hand function issues, but otherwise WHY? Especially $100 WHY????
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:27 pm

Well, some of us get up and down all night, and so the magnet would be nice.... But it's $100 so no-go for me!
Last edited by BuckarooBanzai on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:27 pm
Well, some of us get up and down all night, and so the magnet would be nice.... But it's $100 so no-go for me!
it's easier to just disconnect the short hose and leave the mask in place.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 pm

Well, it's faster to just disconnect the magnet and walk away with the mask, but $100?! Oh, it also comes with a magnet dealie-bop that you clamp to your nightstand, so when you unplug you just touch the magnet to the clamp and the hose hangs nicely, keeping things neat. But $100?

More Newbie Questions:

1. Am thinking about buying a nasal pillow cozy for my P10 from Pad-A-Cheek. Anyone tried them?

2. Pugsy, I note you told someone in 2020 that it's OK to use a hose cover on a Resmed ClimateLine. Is that still OK?

By the way, I had a phone meeting with my sleep lab tech this week. Turns out, I originally tested with 13 episodes per hour when lying on my side but 17.2 episodes per hour when lying supine. So now she is really happy with my 0.2 to 1.9 episodes per hour and 95-98% compliance atta-boys from Resmed. Tightened my pressure range from 7-12. Everything looks good!

She asked how I managed to come up to speed so quickly. I told her about all of you. She was impressed.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:13 pm

You can use a lightweight hose cozy on the heated hose but to be honest it doesn't really make the air warmer because the machine regulates the hose air temp with little heating elements...it will help keep the hose air at the chosen temp and you might use a little less electricity but that is about it. There is no great benefit from using a hose cozy on the actual heated hose.

Now a hose cozy on the little short hose that comes with a lot of masks...the one that attaches to the heated hose...now that one often really benefits from a hose cozy.

As for the barrel cozy for the nasal pillows on the P10...now those are very nice and they will also help reduce condensation and another plus is that the padacheek barrel cozies feel super nice next to the skin. I used to use them all the time.
I always thought they felt like soft silk against my skin.
I might have a brand new never used barrel cozy for the P10 in my personal stash box....so let me look tomorrow and if I do you can just have it. I can put in a regular envelope and drop it in the mail. I will look tomorrow and let you know.
Save you a little money....
I vaguely remember someone sending me a brand new barrel cozy but I don't remember if I still have it. I don't use them with the Bleep of course so I would be happy to just give you the new one ...if I do still have it...so that it won't go to waste. I hate to waste anything.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:38 pm

Yes, I also priced the Padacheek P10 short hose cozy and determined I want it. It think I want the pillow cozy, too, 'cause I like to keep my bedroom at about 65 F and so need to ward off condensation in the pillow unit itself.

Regarding the ClimateLine cozy, I thought of electricity savings but mostly how nice a soft flannel cover would feel in my bed. (Yeah, I take the hose to bed with me.)

Pugsy, if you have an extra barrel cozy (you mean pillow cozy, right?), I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

You know, I feel a little bit better every day. It's like I'm coming back to life.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 pm

If I have one...this will be what I have. I don't know of any other cozy for a P10 pillow....but I haven't looked lately.
https://www.padacheek.com/product-page/ ... airfit-p10
Hubby is already in bed so I can't go in turning the lights on looking through the box of stuff under the bed. :lol:
He might get a bit grumpy.

A lot of people do use a soft fleece cozy over a heated hose just because they don't like the feel of the hose against the skin.
So if you want one for that reason...you can sure use it.

Now there are some heated hoses that you can't use a hose cozy with but those are different heated hoses than what you have with the ResMed or Respironics integrated heated hoses. They are called stand alone heated hoses and it's either on or off with those heated hoses and those can get too hot if you cover them. In fact they even warn against putting the hose under the bed covers. We used to have to use those kinds of heated hoses back before we were give the integrated heated hose. Don't see them much anymore. I have often wondered if the people who advise against hose cozies for the ResMed Climateline are thinking about those older kind of hoses.
I used to own one...before ResMed came out with their heated hose...and one time I did turn it on and the hose was under the covers for a little while and when I went to bed the hose was REALLY hot and I learned why you don't cover them up.

But with ResMed's heated hose the machine keeps track of the hose air temp and it just turns down the heat (or off) once the set temp gets maintained.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:47 pm

Yes, that's the exact p10 'barrel cozy' I was looking at! But definitely do not wake up hubby. Very unwise.

I will also purchase a 15" cozy for the P10 short hose.

And I might just buy a light flannel cover for the ClimateLine hose, too.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:06 am

Send me a private message with your name and address.....I found a brand new P10 barrel cozy you can have.

And if anyone reading this happens to be using the Swift FX...and wanting a barrel cozy....I got one of those as well that is brand new. I had forgotten I even had it. It's been many years since I used the Swift FX.

Both from padacheek.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:01 am

Yay! Thank you, Pugsy!

You must have a whole room full of CPAP stuff by this point.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 pm

Pugsy, I read the thread about using distilled/un-distilled water in Resmed XPAP machines. That thread is now closed. Did I understand you correctly: Distilled water is only required in order to prevent mineral buildup in the humidifier tub itself? Meaning, if we don't mind cleaning the tubs or replacing them periodically, then tap water is just fine?

I ran out of distilled water and so have been boiling water for use in my machine, believing bacterial and viral contaminants were the issue. But it seems this is not an issue at all?

Oh, Great Guru of All Things XPAP, please share your wisdom. :)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:49 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 pm
Pugsy, I read the thread about using distilled/un-distilled water in Resmed XPAP machines. That thread is now closed. Did I understand you correctly: Distilled water is only required in order to prevent mineral buildup in the humidifier tub itself? Meaning, if we don't mind cleaning the tubs or replacing them periodically, then tap water is just fine?

I ran out of distilled water and so have been boiling water for use in my machine, believing bacterial and viral contaminants were the issue. But it seems this is not an issue at all?

Oh, Great Guru of All Things XPAP, please share your wisdom. :)
If you don't mind cleaning limescale build up off the water chamber .....assuming your tap water has some excess minerals in it....by all means go ahead and use tap water but don't go boiling it.
Boiling water actually concentrates any minerals that might be in the water and you will have more of a mineral build up and faster if you boil the water.
Besides...if you can drink the tap water it's germ free enough to use in the water chamber.
I used tap water all last week because some dummy went to WalMart and forgot to replenish the distilled water supply.
Now that dummy is on well water and it has an extremely high mineral content but only used it for about a week and there's no mineral buildup that I can see or feel. The dummy shall remain nameless. :lol:

The only reason for the advice for "distilled" water is to prevent mineral build up. Has nothing to do with bacteria, viruses or germs. If you can drink the water....you can use it in the water chamber.
Another besides....I am betting you inhale more moisture in the shower than you get using the tap water in the water chamber.

Oh...send me that PM...I don't have your real name and address yet.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 pm

Thanks! I will rest easier now about the water. I've been using tap water for almost a week with no visible mineral deposits.

Sent you a PM but I think it's sitting in my outbox with another PM.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:41 pm

BuckarooBanzai wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:26 pm
Thanks! I will rest easier now about the water. I've been using tap water for almost a week with no visible mineral deposits.

Sent you a PM but I think it's sitting in my outbox with another PM.
Got the PM just now. If you sent one earlier I never got it.

Will go to post office tomorrow....someone also spoke up for the Swift FX barrel cozy.

BuckarooBanzai

Post by BuckarooBanzai » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:35 am

Things moving along nicely. I continue to be thankful for all the help I've received here. Shout out to Pugsy for a barrel cozy.

My leaks/episodes dropped dramatically when I began using the P10 mask. Then they slowly increased over time. Replaced my P10 headgear and then they dropped again. Thus, I purchased several extra P10 headgear units so I can wash and wear them in turn. Hopefully, the weekly hot water wash will shrink them down enough to retain a snug fit.