Nasal pillow dermatitis

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zeak

Nasal pillow dermatitis

Post by zeak » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:01 pm

I’ve had an air fit P10 for 7 yrs with no problem. Just developed bad irritation on the exterior of my nose and upper lip from the nasal pillows. Tried lanolin and changed up the pillows and didnt get any relief. Dermatologist insisted I take a few days off form the cpap which has been awful. I’m concerned that once things heal and I try it again I’ll get the same irritation. I know this is a common problem. If I need an alternative what would be the best low profile system that I could still use with my resmed machine? Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Nasal pillow dermatitis

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:21 pm

Check out the Bleep mask I use. Link in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

Years ago people used to use a thin layer of Phillips Milk of Magnesia as a barrier between skin and silicone.
Apply a thin layer and let it dry then apply mask.

Also there are nasal pillow cozies out there that will also act as a barrier.
Padacheek.com has some really nice ones.
https://www.padacheek.com/product-page/ ... airfit-p10
Super comfy. The material is fleece but so fine it feels like silk against the skin.

ResMed has a new under the nose cushion mask that is essentially the P10 but under the nose cushion.
If you are just now developing a silicon allergy probably won't work but if you are just experiencing some abrasions...might be an option. It's called the AirFit N30. The silicon of that cushion is quite soft and comfy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zeak

Post by zeak » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!
Ordered the cozy.
Does the N30 cushion for my P10 system or would I need new mask and tubing?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:20 pm

zeak wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:09 pm
Thanks for the suggestions!
Ordered the cozy.
Does the N30 cushion for my P10 system or would I need new mask and tubing?
You would need a new mask/frame along with the nasal cushion if you want to try the N30 but your headgear on the P10 would work..
The N30 cushion attaches to the frame a bit differently than the P10 pillows. It's close but not compatible.
I am in the process of giving the N30 a trial just for fun. It's silent like the P10 and the headgear is pretty much the same except it actually has a little buckle to make it more adjustable.
It's a nice little mask. Won't replace my Bleep but I had been using the P10 lately because I had some surgery on my right thumb which created a problem with attaching the Bleep.
So I figure why not try something new while my thumb is returning to normal....got the N30 just for grins.
It's a little less stable in terms of mask movement with tossing and turning when compared to the P10 but it's a very comfortable little mask.

So the headgear is interchangeable between P10 and N30 but that's the extent of it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:47 pm

zeak wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:01 pm
Dermatologist insisted I take a few days off form the cpap which has been awful.
If it were me I would try a diff style mask like you are doing rather than doing with out.

I assume that you have tried adjusting your P10 mask?
Imagine how many times the mask moves if it moves with each breath during the nite.

IF you have an Auto cpap as the pressure increases during the nite and it will put more force on the straps and can cause the mask to move/rub causing irritation and/or leaks that may wake you or prevent your cpap from detecting some events.
What helped me was to get to bed 30 min. early - set the pressure to the highest you expect - then lay down in your sleeping position while adjusting the straps. Your face will change shapes when laying down.
Do NOT compress the mask seal too flat. just enuff to stop any leaks. The mask seal needs to be able to float some in order to seal correctly.
The other thing to consider is that a FFM has more surface in contact with the face making it harder to seal than both a nasal mask or nasal pillows.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 pm

My backup mask is a sleepweaver Elan; which I ordered in case of a nasal sore.
The all-cloth masks are quiet, light, and soft, containing no silicone at all.
I wish they made PPE--I would have ordered a dozen.