Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BruceBannisterFraser

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:02 pm

ArchiePeters wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:36 pm
I really feel your frustration. When I first started CPAP therapy, I was renting a F&P machine - quiet as expected. I then purchased a new F&P - it had an annoying whining noise on the inhale - like a mini-turbine. My supplier swapped it for another new F&P - same issue. She then suggested I try the ResMed instead of the F&P. This sorted the noise issue totally - I was very happy with the AirSense. However, I have noticed that occasionally it seems to play up and produce the whining noise. When it does this, I turn it off on the machine and back on - the noise goes. This happens every couple of nights. Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes the pressure seems to be really high - like where I can hear air whooshing out the little hole in the mask (Phillips DreamWear). Again - turning off and on normalises everything. I also have the machine sitting on a rubber mat and turn it so the air vent is away from the bed. Sorry I can't be more help!
thanks for that, your mini turbine description is exactly what i hear when inhaling, as previously said i tune in to and just cannot sleep with it, i am waiting for the sleep clinic to reopen after New year so hopefully they can do something,other wise i will stick with the escape11 at least until it wears out, i shall update with the end result
thank you all that have commented and tried to help, it is very much appreciated

BruceBannisterFraser

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:38 am

a quick update from Resmed who i emailed last week, i must say i appreciate their honesty.

Technical Services - UK <TechnicalServices-UK@resmed.co.uk>
12:50 (46 minutes ago)
to me, Technical, Patient

Good afternoon Bruce.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like both devices have had noisy motors.

The only other possibility I can think of is the noise may be coming from the seals at the side of the device – this can be confirmed by reseating the side cover/HumidAir tub.

If the noise persists then it will be the motor and will need to be contact the hospital to replace the device.

Kind regards

currently waiting for the Sleep clinic to call back :?

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:38 am

Long story cut short. My Aircurve with 10,000 hours on it quit while I was using it. Fortunately I have an S9 as a back up and used that while I tried to sort out the issue but with no joy. Based on that I purchased a used machine from Secondwind hoping that the hours were low and yes, only 56 hours. After I opened the box, connected it all up, I sat on my bed with my mask on and it worked and it was quiet. However, when I went to bed I could hear noise coming through the tube and it was enough to keep me awake.

Looking at what PR has posted may identify the problem. The water chamber didn't seem to fit very well (I had to use quite a bit of energy to get it to click in securely) and quite possibly this is the issue but I've not had a chance to test it out. After testing the new Aircurve I put in the old SD card and the new machine stopped working. Acting on a hunch I then tried my old machine (sans SD card) and it works. WTF - how does this make sense? How does an SD card disable a machine? So I'm back with my old machine and at some point I'll have a play with the new one. I'm considering swapping over the water chambers to see what happens.

BruceBannisterFraser

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:05 am

so i spoke to the sleep clinic on Tuesday of this week, explained { again ] the issue and they sent me a new machine [ i now have 3 ] which arrived this morning, i plugged it is set it up to my spec and it makes exactly the same noise as the last 2 brand new ones, it would be so much easier if this was just me with an issue, but my wife hears it as well and keeps her awake too, i shall be phoning the clinic again on Monday, but i dont hold out much hope of a resolution, currently have approx £2000 of their equipment :shock:

camper

Post by camper » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:13 pm

Mine is virtually silent - but I keep mine at an initial pressure setting of 4 (the minimum). When I had a defective P/R DreamStation (another type of machine), that delivered high pressure no matter what the setting, it was very noisy.

No matter what ResMed says, it is worth trying your own fixes.

Like others here, anytime I get noise, I just push the humidifier in more solidly. (I attach the humidifier even when there is no water in it - otherwise I get a LOT of noise.)

What if you were to place tape (use an easily removable tape, like masking tape or dollar store paper first aid tape) around the outside of the machine, at the joint between the humidifier and the main unit? Also, around the edges of the flap that goes over the air filter? If that fixed the problem, that would suggest a leakage.

Any mask that doesn't completely cover your mouth and nose is probably going to create some noise.

Even my ResMed F20 Silicone masks, which do cover everything for me, make noise if they are old enough to leak.

Also, the mask leaks and makes noise if I sleep enough on my side to put pressure on it, which causes so the seal around my face to be poor. Sleeping on my back usually fixes the problem.

Also, I push the hose all the way in to the mask, if it has come out a bit do to such pressure.

BruceBannisterFraser

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:03 pm

camper wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:13 pm
Mine is virtually silent - but I keep mine at an initial pressure setting of 4 (the minimum). When I had a defective P/R DreamStation (another type of machine), that delivered high pressure no matter what the setting, it was very noisy.

No matter what ResMed says, it is worth trying your own fixes.

Like others here, anytime I get noise, I just push the humidifier in more solidly. (I attach the humidifier even when there is no water in it - otherwise I get a LOT of noise.)

What if you were to place tape (use an easily removable tape, like masking tape or dollar store paper first aid tape) around the outside of the machine, at the joint between the humidifier and the main unit? Also, around the edges of the flap that goes over the air filter? If that fixed the problem, that would suggest a leakage.

Any mask that doesn't completely cover your mouth and nose is probably going to create some noise.

Even my ResMed F20 Silicone masks, which do cover everything for me, make noise if they are old enough to leak.

Also, the mask leaks and makes noise if I sleep enough on my side to put pressure on it, which causes so the seal around my face to be poor. Sleeping on my back usually fixes the problem.

Also, I push the hose all the way in to the mask, if it has come out a bit do to such pressure.
Hi, i dont have a humidifier, the noise is inside the machine on every breath intake, resmed have acknowledged this is a problem with the motor

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:53 pm

This type of problem is unusual for this brand; but it is good to know
that Resmed is on top of it.

BruceBannisterFraser

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:54 pm

so i sent resmed a recording of the noise via email and the technician confirmed a noisy motor, the sleep clinic are not so helpful strangely, a nurse contacted me this morning and suggested i am imagining it or that i should try and get used to it, needless to say i was not amused and have an appointment at the clinic on Thursday when they will hand me a 4th new airsense 10, because of covid they wont let me test it in the hospital [ aerosol ??? ] so i will test it outside in my car with an inverter, if it makes the slightest noise other than air movement then i will be done and take it straight back in, i think 4 brand new machines are enough of a test, i still have my Resmed escape 11 which has always been great apart from a faulty on/off switch which i sorted yesterday so all good now...i am not feeling positive about Thursdays appointment :?

smulla24

Post by smulla24 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:31 am

Good morning,

I have an Airsense 10, purchased on 2020. It has been silent with no issues until last week when I started hearing the noises from the recordings in the original post.
Mine seems to start as the air pressure increases.
I switched masks, tubing, water chamber, filter and the noise continues.
If I fall asleep before the noise starts, I get awaken in an hour. Remove the mask to restart, fall asleep again and get awaken but the noise again in the next hour.
It’ s hard to tune out the noise because I hear it on my head besides the noise coming out of the machine. It happens when inhaling.
I haven’t been able to sleep since this started.
Last night I couldn’t take it anymore, so I went looking for my old machine I had stored in the garage. I couldn’t find my previous machine but I found my first Resmed machine from 2007 and I was able to sleep well last night. I used the same mask but the regular tubing from the old machine, not heated.

I see a lot of posts but I haven’t read any solution to the problem, am I correct? Can this be fixed? I don’t think my machine is faulty, it worked perfectly silent until last week?
I have 2 heated tubings and water chambers so I switch them every Sunday after cleaning. Change nasal pillows and filter every month. I alternate full face mask and nasal pillows mask with so mini fix mouth tape. I haven’t done anything different from my routine and this noise appeared out of nowhere.

Let me know if you found a solution to this
Thanks

S. M.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 am

smulla24 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:31 am
Can this be fixed?
The warranty is two years (US).