Earplugs

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MMcG

Earplugs

Post by MMcG » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:10 am

I find it surprising that there is no discussion on this subject, or perhaps it's just something that I alone need. I found that noise from the machine itself (Develbiss/Intellipap 2) wasn't a problem, but the noise of escaping air (built-in not leaks) in the nasal pillow and the tubing on top of my head was waking me frequently as and when the pressure increased above a certain level. I started experimenting with earplugs a few weeks ago and have settled on non-reusable natural wax ones. They're expensive but very effective. I haven't read anything that might suggest they're bad for the ears when used longterm, so hopefully not. Just wondering if anyone else uses them, or perhaps used them for the first few weeks/months?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Earplugs

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 am

MMcG wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:10 am
I find it surprising that there is no discussion on (earplugs) ...
A simple search of the forum for "earplugs" returns 1,170 results - https://www.google.com/search?client=av ... 4&ie=UTF-8

Searching "ear plugs" brings even more.

Ya hear?

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 am

White noise machine. Reasonably cheap and effective.

JPB

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:46 am

jimbud wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 am
White noise machine. Reasonably cheap and effective.

JPB
Yep. I use a smartphone app on an old, unused phone that stays on the nightstand.

MMcG

Post by MMcG » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:57 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:55 am
MMcG wrote:
I find it surprising that there is no discussion on (earplugs) ...
A simple search of the forum for "earplugs" returns 1,170 results - https://www.google.com/search?client=av ... 4&ie=UTF-8

Searching "ear plugs" brings even more.

Ya hear?
My excuse? I'm sleepy! Thanks.

CPAP2017

Post by CPAP2017 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:12 am

MMcG wrote:
I find it surprising that there is no discussion on this subject, or perhaps it's just something that I alone need. I found that noise from the machine itself (Develbiss/Intellipap 2) wasn't a problem, but the noise of escaping air (built-in not leaks) in the nasal pillow and the tubing on top of my head was waking me frequently as and when the pressure increased above a certain level. I started experimenting with earplugs a few weeks ago and have settled on non-reusable natural wax ones. They're expensive but very effective. I haven't read anything that might suggest they're bad for the ears when used longterm, so hopefully not. Just wondering if anyone else uses them, or perhaps used them for the first few weeks/months?
I couldn't use the Resmed F30i for this very reason, the outflow of air was hitting sheets/pillow. Then the Airtouch F20 foam started damaging the bridge of my nose. By then I was using a small earbud in one ear to listen to music on my way to sleep, so I just put an earplug in the other ear. Due to my profession I wore earplugs for 40 years at work and I found these to be the most comfortable, least noticeable that I've got them in, and good noise blocking. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PS ... UTF8&psc=1

sleepinow

Post by sleepinow » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 am

Howard Leight by Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam Earplugs, Pink/Yellow , 200-Pairs (LL-1) - 3301105 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XJOLG/re ... B21HN6XFFH

I have used these for years. 200 pairs and I have probably tried 3 other brands before I found these and found these the most comfortable and best noise reduction.

Rated 4.7/5
4000+ reviews

Last edited by sleepinow on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
System One Respironics Bipap AutoSV Advanced Quattro Fx

Min EPAP: 13.0 CmH20
Min Pressure Support: 3.5
Max EPAP: 25.0
Max Pressure Support: 5.0
Max Pressure: 20.0
Flex Setting: Bi-Flex - 3
Backup Rate:Auto
Humidification Mode:off
Humidifier Setting:c5

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am

sleepinow wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 am
High Visibility
Yeah, that could be handy when they are buried in the bed coverings.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:19 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am
sleepinow wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 am
High Visibility
Yeah, that could be handy when they are buried in the bed coverings.
or to keep people from shouting at you "ARE YOU DEAF OR WHAT?"
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Coatimundi

Post by Coatimundi » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 pm

I use earplugs too, and I also have the same type of machine. It's not a loud machine but I got the feeling the noise of the air from the mask was interfering with my sleep so I used wax-based earplugs and have gotten better sleep. I also need the machine close to my head because I sleep on the floor and don't have a long hose. To avoid any condensation from the humidifier affecting me through the houe, I drape it over part of my nightstand.

Jeff8356

Post by Jeff8356 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:25 am

Flents Quiet Please earplugs I have used for years. very comfortable
MacbookAir (Intel) macOS Monterey (12.6.8)
OSCAR 1.5.1
Resmed S10 Autoset w/heated hose
F30 Mask
Pressure 9-14
OSCAR Team

MMcG

Post by MMcG » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:40 am

Coatimundi wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:54 pm
I use earplugs too, and I also have the same type of machine. It's not a loud machine but I got the feeling the noise of the air from the mask was interfering with my sleep so I used wax-based earplugs and have gotten better sleep. I also need the machine close to my head because I sleep on the floor and don't have a long hose. To avoid any condensation from the humidifier affecting me through the houe, I drape it over part of my nightstand.
Yes, the Devilbiss/Intellipap machines are reportedly among the quietest, but it's all relative I suppose! Someone pointed out to me that when you wear earplugs, you hear your breathing more, and that is certainly true - that takes getting used to also. Interestingly, last night, I removed the mask after about six hours and couldn't sleep without it (earplugs discarded). So I reckoned I had nothing to lose by trying the mask again after about twenty minutes awake, and this time without earplugs. Strangely, and unexpectedly, I fell asleep for another hour or more. So maybe I'll try sleeping without them again. As regards humidity, I live in Ireland, and the ambient humidity here is usually fairly high. I also like a cool bedroom, so that can cause problems. The solution for me is not to use the humidifier at all (no need), but also to cover the hose with an insulating blanket (the technician brought it - purpose made by Devilbiss I think). No more problems with condensation and the hose/mask is dry in the morning, so even if was on the same level as the machine, there wouldn't be any condensation problems.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:18 pm

I use the wax earplugs when I'm away from home in a noisy environment, but I do hear my breathing more and find that somewhat disruptive.

At home, I use a noise machine that generates white, "pink," and "brown" noise. There's some (very limited) research on the benefits of pink noise:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why- ... hts-sleep/

I've come to like the brown-noise setting and always use it. I have an app on my iPad that generates brown noise, but for whatever reason, it doesn't do the trick for me.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 pm

The sounds from my Airsense 10 and all accessories pales in comparison
to the multiple coal trains rumbling by half a block from our bedroom.
I take my single hearing aid out of my right ear, and lie on my left (good) ear
until the train passes. Not much to do about the occasional wise guy
who fails to note the multiple "No Train Horn" signs beside the tracks.
I think it's only one jerk--and he can't be on every train.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:02 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 pm
Not much to do about the occasional wise guy
who fails to note the multiple "No Train Horn" signs beside the tracks.
I think it's only one jerk--and he can't be on every train.
In the business, they are called horn-happy engineers.