Waking with rapid heartbeat, blocked port?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tcal

Waking with rapid heartbeat, blocked port?

Post by tcal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:13 am

Hey all!!

Anyone else ever wake up with a fluttering rapid heartbeat? I have a nasal mask and do think that my face gets buried in the pillow a bit
if I'm on my stomach and sleeping. Has happened a few times over the past few years, not a common occurrence.

palerider

Re: Waking with rapid heartbeat, blocked port?

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 am

tcal wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:13 am
I have a nasal mask and do think that my face gets buried in the pillow a bit
Unless you're using one of those plastic pillows like they have at hospitals, the mask will still vent through the pillow case and pillow material.

There may be other issues causing your rapid heartbeat, like apneas.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LarryEH

Re: Waking with rapid heartbeat, blocked port?

Post by LarryEH » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 pm

I have experienced a similar event.
In my case, the first happened about a month ago when I used the machine for the first time.
I have afib and it is triggered by pressure from my stomach and in this case, the pressure build up by the CPAP machine triggered the event.
The doc had the pressures set to 8-10 cmH2O, which was too high for me.
I reset the pressure (Airsense 11)to 4-6 cmH2O the next night and things went very well.
AHI = 0.8
He saw that I had changed it and agreed to leave it there as my results were excellent.
Using Oscar I have moved the upper limit to 6.8 and get very few maxes.
The tachycardia that you experienced may be afib.
You may want to invest in an Alivecor KardiaMobil EKG monitor to make sure you don't have afib.
They have two... A single lead device for under $100 and a six lead device (three contact points) for about $150.
It will tell you if your tachycardia is afib or maybe just some Supraventricular Ectopy.
The EKG traces can be sent to your Dr. for review...
If you have afib, it needs to be properly managed!!!