Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:56 am

Potted-Palm wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:01 pm
Because one verifies my continued use for Medicare and my supplemental insurance. The DME provides supplies, covered by Medicare.
My DME provides these services. They have made things quite convenient for Gramps and me. They are a regional DME. One of their main offices is an easy 25-minute drive into the city for me. However, they have a two-person office very close to me. The respiratory tech who manages it is very good. I enjoy my infrequent visits. (I did have to break her in when she first opened the office. Now we have a good understanding. She has no other customer like me. The rest are sheep.)

tisket

Post by tisket » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:32 am

Got this email the other day from gloablintake-noreply@sedgwick.com

"We are pleased to share an important update regarding your Philips device replacement. Philips received authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the repair and replacement program for devices impacted by the June 14, 2021 recall notification*.

With this approval, we are initiating the repair and replacement program that puts patient safety and speed of resolution as the top priorities. Further, we have significantly increased our production, service and rework capacity to deliver replacement devices as fast as possible.

Also, we have learned of some fraudulent activity targeting patients impacted by this recall. We want to assure you that Philips will never ask for any payment or credit card information by phone or email.

Patient care is at the heart of everything we do at Philips. While we are starting to replace devices, in some cases, this process may take approximately 12 months. We will stay in communication with you regarding your replacement device. If you have already received a replacement device, please follow the instructions included in the box.

We appreciate your patience as we work towards a solution as fast as possible. Please visit Philips.com/src-update for more information and answers to frequently asked questions.

As a reminder, your device registration confirmation number is (xxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Thank you for your continued trust."
---------------------------------------------------
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:42 am

tisket wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:32 am
Got this email the other day from gloablintake-noreply@sedgwick.com
Philips' email wrote:
...snip...

Thank you for your continued trust.
Continued trust. LMAO, good one.

Amazing that Philips has kept its sense of humour through this.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 am

My timeline........
Registered my DreamStation 1 (new in March 2020) for recall June 2021. I received a DreamStation 2 on Oct 10, 2021 via Fedex. I received that same email as 'tisket' on Oct 13th, 2021.

clintber

Post by clintber » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:29 am

The replacement for my recalled Philips AutoBIPAP arrived this morning.

Clint

n3kf

Post by n3kf » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:37 am

clintber wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:29 am
The replacement for my recalled Philips AutoBIPAP arrived this morning.

Clint
Was your system a DS1 and was it replaced with a DS1?

clintber

Post by clintber » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 am

Yes, a DS1. As far as I know there is no Dreamstation 2 AutoBIPAP.

n3kf

Post by n3kf » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 pm

clintber wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 am
Yes, a DS1. As far as I know there is no Dreamstation 2 AutoBIPAP.
Well that is good news to hear. I have an ASV which is basically BIPAP that can handle Central apnea's. Thanks for the post!!

clintber

Post by clintber » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Your welcome. I registered only a few days after the site opened up. They can see I have continued to use the machine, I don't know if that has anything to do with the turnaround time. I think they are working first come, first served.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:23 pm

I would guess Philips is relying on folks with recalled DS1's that have received a replacement DS2 to ship the DS1 back promptly to get it refurbished. The refurbished DS1 units would then go to those that need a CPAP machine that the DS2 can not replace such as an AutoBIPAP machine. I suspect Philips converted most all tooling and manufacturing of the DS1 over to the DS2, so the prospect of getting a newly built DS1 would be pretty slim. Those receiving a DS1 refurb could conceivably receive one that a user has disassembled and removed the foam, but Philips will have swapped out the air chamber. Not sure I'd be comfortable with the knowledge that a unit may have been opened and 'modded' by a user even if Philips fully tests it. Then again if the foam had been removed the user they may opt to keep his/her modified DS1 to use and have the DS2 as a backup, thus reducing the available pool of refurbed DS1's from Philips.

Since the refurbed DS1's are 'preowned' and who knows what germs/bugs may be within, Philips is sanitizing the rebuilt units using a SoClean sanitizer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clintber

Post by clintber » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:35 pm

How would Philips continue to sell new DS-1 AuotoBiPAP or ASV machines if they shut down the production line? What evidence do you have that Philips is using Soclean on refurbished machines….or is this fake news?

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:00 pm

clintber wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:35 pm
How would Philips continue to sell new DS-1 AuotoBiPAP or ASV machines if they shut down the production line? What evidence do you have that Philips is using Soclean on refurbished machines….or is this fake news?
Good point. Production of DS1's is probably still relevant for that market, although maybe a smaller segment. Was thinking that Philips would prefer to replace a DS1 with one that was rebuilt as a cost savings to them rather than swap out a used 'foam' machine with one that is brand new, thus having a pool of returned DS1's to turn around saves them money.

The SoClean remark was followed up with LOL emoticons....... a joke.

Last edited by Grumpy48 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

clintber

Post by clintber » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Oh. I never used SoClean on my machine. I don’t know what those guys are laughing about…this whole thing is not very funny for people who have to deal with it.

I was curious if a new DS-2 BiPAP would suddenly appear, but it looks like that is farther down the road.

tisket

Post by tisket » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:43 am

They never did repair or replace my System 1. Last I heard from them was in January.
---------------------------------------------------
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Aloha nasal pillow mask using HoseBuddy for overhead hose management, Nexcare paper tape for mouth

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 am

Looks like there is a fresh recall…

https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 022-08-29/
Dutch medical device maker Philips (PHG.AS)said on Monday it has expanded an earlier recall of some respiratory machines to a total of 1,700 devices globally due to possible contamination of a plastic component with a non-compatible material.

The company's subsidiary, Philips Respironics, has not received any reports of patient harm due to the issue but announced the recall to prevent future occurrences, a Philips spokesperson said.

Additional Comments: Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier for daily use. (Not listed above) Airmini for travel.
Daily Driver (normally sans recall): Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier / DreamWear Nasal Cushion
Travel Unit (now currently daily driver during recall): ResMed Airmini / AirFit P10