cleaning routine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
onward60

cleaning routine

Post by onward60 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:18 pm

I found this on the Resmed site: In a sink or tub, clean your mask cushion and headgear to remove any oils. Gently rub with soap and warm, drinking-quality water...Rinse again thoroughly with warm, drinking-quality water.

Similar instructions for humdifier.

Is it really necessary to clean the headgear and humidifier every day as Resmed says on their site? What do you clean every day? I bought Endurimed CPAP wipes and was hoping wiping out the silicone cushion and rinsing out the humidifier would be all I would have to do daily.

Julie

Re: cleaning routine

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Read down the list of Q's on the main page til you get to "Daily tub cleaning" for lots of recent answers to your Q and then go to the search bar and enter "cleaning". You'll see loads of answers about all the gear and who does what when. Knock yourself out! :lol:

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:39 pm

This topic comes up quite often. We all clean to the level we are comfortable with. I normally clean our masks, strap pads and water reservoirs every two weeks. Some people clean everything daily, others never clean or clean only when they remember to do it. When I first started, I was very diligent about cleaning everything once a week, including the hose. It has been over five since I have washed either of our hoses. Find the level of cleanliness you are comfortable with and stick with it. Just stay away from the ozone type cleaners.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:09 pm

The easiest thing to do is read the Owners manual for your machine and masks.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Whatever you do avoid - as in stay away from - any and ALL Ozone Cleaners as the only thing they clean are wallets.
onward60 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:18 pm
I found this on the Resmed site: In a sink or tub, clean your mask cushion and headgear to remove any oils. Gently rub with soap and warm, drinking-quality water...Rinse again thoroughly with warm, drinking-quality water.

Is it really necessary to clean the headgear and humidifier every day as Resmed says on their site? What do you clean every day? I bought Endurimed CPAP wipes and was hoping wiping out the silicone cushion and rinsing out the humidifier would be all I would have to do daily.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am

Julie wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 pm
Read down the list of Q's on the main page til you get to "Daily tub cleaning" for lots of recent answers to your Q and then go to the search bar and enter "cleaning". You'll see loads of answers about all the gear and who does what when. Knock yourself out! :lol:
Yeah, I did that and got overwhelmed very quickly! :P

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:21 am

Thanks for the heads up about the ozone cleaners. I will stop wishing I could afford one. :lol:

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:48 am

Clean is good.
Doing it more than necessary destroys equipment.
The manufacturers want you to do that--then buy replacement part$.
:twisted:

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:24 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:48 am
Clean is good.
Doing it more than necessary destroys equipment.
The manufacturers want you to do that--then buy replacement part$.
:twisted:
No doubt!! :lol:

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:02 pm

onward60 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am
Julie wrote:
Go read it again, and again, and (if necessary) again, until it starts to sink in.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

onward60

Post by onward60 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:57 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:02 pm
onward60 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 am
Julie wrote:
Go read it again, and again, and (if necessary) again, until it starts to sink in.
You overestimate my ability to remember things :lol: But I have been doing it. When I can find it. I should have stuck with my main thread, except it was getting too complicated. :roll:

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:32 am

onward60 wrote:

Is it really necessary to clean the headgear and humidifier every day as Resmed says on their site?
What do you clean every day?
Categorically........
"No."
"Nothing."

I use distilled water and after I dumped it the first morning after I started therapy, I decided that was a waste of water and money. Haven't made that mistake again.
Like others have already said.......the more you "clean" this stuff, the faster it wears out and the manufacturers are in this business to make money.
And, they're MY germs

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

onward60

Post by onward60 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:23 am

Wulfman... wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:32 am
onward60 wrote:

Is it really necessary to clean the headgear and humidifier every day as Resmed says on their site?
What do you clean every day?
Categorically........
"No."
"Nothing."

I use distilled water and after I dumped it the first morning after I started therapy, I decided that was a waste of water and money. Haven't made that mistake again.
Like others have already said.......the more you "clean" this stuff, the faster it wears out and the manufacturers are in this business to make money.
And, they're MY germs

Den

Thanks, Den

Rogi Blatus

Post by Rogi Blatus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:51 pm

So is a daily soak in 5% white vinegar, then a rinse too much?

I started 15+ years ago only washing every couple / three days with soap + warm water, followed by a rinse. Seems like it got a detectable odor in a few days. Tried diluted vinegar at a DME's suggestion, but in the long run, the long tube was getting or holding an odor.

One day, I said hey: 2 x gallons of white vinegar at Sams ~ $4.50. Then I have empty HDPE bottles, hmmm. Cut the top off of an empty then filled just the mask and tube and let sit in the soaking bottle. Rinse at night (about 3x) then dry the outside, voíla. I pour the used vinegar back into another empty bottle. In a couple of weeks it was filled. Now I can pour off some of the used and add a tube and mask's worth, 'once used', toreplenish the stock. Reminds me of photo-processing. Uses about $1.00US worth a week.

Obsessive? Yes. Compulsive? I feel like I should say....

Really though, I've used a single long-tube for > 8 months and it doesn't have an odor.
Attachments
D6F05122-28D9-4A72-83FB-84AAAAEF48AA.jpeg
D6F05122-28D9-4A72-83FB-84AAAAEF48AA.jpeg (78.99 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:02 pm

Rogi Blatus wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:51 pm
I've used a single long-tube for > 8 months and it doesn't have an odor.

Well.....I have at least 4 years on a heated hose and haven't washed it once during that time and it doesn't have an odor either.
I guess we are both happy with our cleaning routine....or lack of.

Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy and lets you sleep at night is just fine to do.

To Everyone:::::
I have often wondered why people care about what someone else does in terms of cleaning anything.
I really don't care what someone else does or doesn't do.

Do whatever makes YOU happy and don't worry about what someone else does or thinks about it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.