ResMed F20 F30 F30i help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chthonic79

ResMed F20 F30 F30i help

Post by Chthonic79 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Help please!!!! Hello. I have obstructive sleep apnea. The local professional doesn’t know much about the newer masks because not enough clients of hers have used them. She recommended ResMed AirFit 20 as I NEED the mouth & nose covered. But it causes me anxiety when I tried it. So I asked about the F30 or F30i. They’re less invasive and don’t cover the entire nose but is a full mask. I can also wear my glasses in them. I’m totally blind without them. She said F30i has hose at top so thought it was a no go for me, no explanation. She said maybe the F30 since hose is by the mouth like usual.

This has kept me up at night for days and hours as I can only afford 1 right now and have to decide this week. No trying on due to covid, no returns.

I sleep on my back, sometimes my side, and also my stomach. Mostly back I guess though more recently.

I’m a size small I guess. I don’t know which one to get. They all have pros and cons. I would love to hear feedback on the ResMed F30 & F30i please!!!!!!!

Not interested in other masks at this time as I can only purchase from this place this time, but in the future I know I know I can order online and try others, if I ever have the money.

First time user obviously but catch on to using things quickly and have experience helping my parents with theirs. They have older full face masks they don’t like and don’t use though, so they don’t know about these newer ones to help me.

scf

Re: ResMed F20 F30 F30i help

Post by scf » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Chthonic79 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:26 pm
Help please!!!! Hello. I have obstructive sleep apnea. The local professional doesn’t know much about the newer masks because not enough clients of hers have used them. She recommended ResMed AirFit 20 as I NEED the mouth & nose covered. But it causes me anxiety when I tried it. So I asked about the F30 or F30i. They’re less invasive and don’t cover the entire nose but is a full mask. I can also wear my glasses in them. I’m totally blind without them. She said F30i has hose at top so thought it was a no go for me, no explanation. She said maybe the F30 since hose is by the mouth like usual.

This has kept me up at night for days and hours as I can only afford 1 right now and have to decide this week. No trying on due to covid, no returns.

I sleep on my back, sometimes my side, and also my stomach. Mostly back I guess though more recently.

I’m a size small I guess. I don’t know which one to get. They all have pros and cons. I would love to hear feedback on the ResMed F30 & F30i please!!!!!!!

Not interested in other masks at this time as I can only purchase from this place this time, but in the future I know I know I can order online and try others, if I ever have the money.

First time user obviously but catch on to using things quickly and have experience helping my parents with theirs. They have older full face masks they don’t like and don’t use though, so they don’t know about these newer ones to help me.
I am a new user as well. I have only been on a machine for 20 days. I spent the first 16 trying to use the P10, but never could control the leaks even though I had glued, taped and chin strapped my mouth shut (not all at the same time). And I am not even a mouth breather. Just could not keep my lips together. So I decided to try the F30i. It has worked really well for me. I have to use a liner because the silicone feels like it is glued to my face and it irritates me. It does not cause any skin problems, it just bugs me. I am having great luck with it now. And I LOVE having the tubing attached to the top of the mask. I am never aware of where it is during the night. This is just my experience and as everyone will tell you, the choice of a mask is 100% subjective. But maybe you can glean something from this post to help you decide. Good luck, You can do this. Just keep reading this forum!
ResMed AirSense Autoset FOR HER/F30i

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Chthonic79 wrote:
She said F30i has hose at top so thought it was a no go for me, no explanation. She said maybe the F30 since hose is by the mouth like usual.
This will be a matter of personal preference. The advantage of the F30i is having the hose attached to the headgear instead of the mask itself. If a person moves in the bed with the hose attached to the mask, the hose can pull on the mask and cause leaks. This is less likely to happen with the hose attached to the headgear.

That said, I use a similar mask with the hose attached to the mask. I prefer this over the F30i, but some nights I sleep with the F30i.

It's personal preference.

BTW, DMEs should allow a person to exchange a mask at no cost within 30 days. This is funded by most mask suppliers.

Redstormsju

Post by Redstormsju » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:14 pm

scf wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 pm
Chthonic79 wrote:

I am a new user as well. I have only been on a machine for 20 days. I spent the first 16 trying to use the P10, but never could control the leaks even though I had glued, taped and chin strapped my mouth shut (not all at the same time). And I am not even a mouth breather. Just could not keep my lips together. So I decided to try the F30i. It has worked really well for me. I have to use a liner because the silicone feels like it is glued to my face and it irritates me. It does not cause any skin problems, it just bugs me. I am having great luck with it now. And I LOVE having the tubing attached to the top of the mask. I am never aware of where it is during the night. This is just my experience and as everyone will tell you, the choice of a mask is 100% subjective. But maybe you can glean something from this post to help you decide. Good luck, You can do this. Just keep reading this forum!
I’m new to cpap as well. I use the F30i and it’s been going well for me, I started with the Dreamware mask, it was okay. What liners are you using for the mask? I would like to make it a bit more comfortable. Are you using anything for the head strap that is on the back of your neck?
Mask: Airfit F30i
Machine: Airsense 11
New York

scf

Post by scf » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:47 pm

Redstormsju wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:14 pm
scf wrote:
Chthonic79 wrote:

I’m new to cpap as well. I use the F30i and it’s been going well for me, I started with the Dreamware mask, it was okay. What liners are you using for the mask? I would like to make it a bit more comfortable. Are you using anything for the head strap that is on the back of your neck?

I have two liners. One was given to me by the DME lady. It is the Remzzzz liner which is simply a square of T shirt material with two holes cut into it. I could easily make one. The other is a PadaCheek which was really expensive. I wish I had tried the free one before I bought the other one. It works just as well. None of the other straps bother me. Masks preferences are so personal. The P10 mask is so incredibly minimal with its two little straps. But the little flat slide tightens the strap was on the side of my head and despite the fact that it is small, flat and smooth…it felt like I was lying on a rock, lol. There is no explanation. I have spent a ton of money on accessories, and after all that ended up with the mask itself and a free liner that work fine. I also bought two pillows and they really were worth the money, especially the buckwheat one. A value added feature of it is that it cured a painful neck I have had for nearly three years. The pain is totally gone.

Redstormsju

Post by Redstormsju » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 am

scf wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:47 pm
Redstormsju wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:14 pm
scf wrote:
Chthonic79 wrote:

I have two liners. One was given to me by the DME lady. It is the Remzzzz liner which is simply a square of T shirt material with two holes cut into it. I could easily make one. The other is a PadaCheek which was really expensive. I wish I had tried the free one before I bought the other one. It works just as well. None of the other straps bother me. Masks preferences are so personal. The P10 mask is so incredibly minimal with its two little straps. But the little flat slide tightens the strap was on the side of my head and despite the fact that it is small, flat and smooth…it felt like I was lying on a rock, lol. There is no explanation. I have spent a ton of money on accessories, and after all that ended up with the mask itself and a free liner that work fine. I also bought two pillows and they really were worth the money, especially the buckwheat one. A value added feature of it is that it cured a painful neck I have had for nearly three years. The pain is totally gone.
Thank You! What does the buckwheat pillow help with? I’m a side sleeper, what are the benefits?
Mask: Airfit F30i
Machine: Airsense 11
New York

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:44 am

The pillow is rather firm - more so than a ''regular' one, so does not push your mask sideways when you sleep. Btw - are you aware that back sleeping provokes more apneas? If you can avoid it (pillow in back or whatever works for you) it could help your AHI.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:11 am

Julie wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:44 am
Btw - are you aware that back sleeping provokes more apneas? If you can avoid it (pillow in back or whatever works for you) it could help your AHI.
This is one of your perpetual refrains. Yet, you always fail to tell CPAPers that back-sleeping is perfectly healthy when using a properly optimized CPAP system. :evil:

scf

Post by scf » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:32 am

I am a side sleeper 100% of the time. The buckwheat pillow is quite unique. It allows shaping a place for my head and neck that is comfortable and it STAYS that way. When I find that spot I then press down and make a hole for the mask to fit in. The first night I heard a very slight sound like Rice Krispies when I turned over. Last night I slept so well that I heard nothing and had my lowest AHI ever. I encourage you to do a search and read what others say about pillows. But you will have to carefully articulate your search criteria because pillow on there has a different meaning. Use the word buckwheat.
Last edited by scf on Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:37 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:11 am
Julie wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:44 am
Btw - are you aware that back sleeping provokes more apneas? If you can avoid it (pillow in back or whatever works for you) it could help your AHI.
This is one of your perpetual refrains. Yet, you always fail to tell CPAPers that back-sleeping is perfectly healthy when using a properly optimized CPAP system. :evil:
Also not mentioned is the fact that not everyone will have their OSA worsened when sleeping supine. Yes it is common but, as with everything OSA/CPAP related, not everyone is affected. My OSA is worse in REM but side vs supine sleeping there is no real change in severity or pressure needs from the positional aspect.....and I have the in lab sleep study results to prove it.

It's not so easy to stay off one's back anyway but it is fairly easy to optimize the CPAP system and just let the machine sort it out and just sleep in any position that a person wants to sleep in.
Besides...not everyone can sleep on their sides or prone due to various reasons. Like I used to be able to sleep on my left side all the time but due to left shoulder issues I can't even lay on my left side for 5 minutes without having really bad shoulder pain.

Which is why I will normally just tell people to optimize their cpap therapy to cover all bases and sleep in any position that allows sleep. After all without sleep none of this matters. Gotta get the sleep first and foremost.
It's relatively easy to optimize these machine settings to cover all bases. Sleep can be so fragile anyway for so many people, why make it more difficult?
Plus for most people it's not like avoiding supine sleeping means someone can avoid cpap.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:11 pm

I ended up not needing a full face mask, but I started out with one. I liked the F30i. I liked the top-of-head attachment and found it comfortable to sleep in. If you get the F30i, consider getting the smaller frame. It sat further forward on my head than they say it should, as I have a big head, but it held the mask in place better than the larger frame did. I read that other users said the same thing. Best of luck finding a mask that fits well and feels good! :)
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system