Resmed Airsense 10, turn on "events per hour" in report menu?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Resmed Airsense 10, turn on "events per hour" in report menu?

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:07 pm

Snoozey wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:01 pm
RE Exhale Relief, Im undecided as the F20 seems to provide relief in the mask itself.
There's no such thing.

All full face masks have anti-asphyxiation valves in them that open when the machine is off, and close when the machine starts up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:14 pm

AHI less than 2.0 is quite acceptable.
Below 1.0 is icing on the cake.

AI is Apnea Index or hourly average.
There are 2 kinds of apneas....central and obstructive...both categories are included in the AI.

Unless you start seeing a central index pushing 5 per hour just ignore the centrals.
If your AHI is less than 1.0 and primarily centrals....double icing on the cake. :lol:

If you go into the clinical setup menu area and look at the AHI please note the default reporting parameter is a 30 day average (you can change it though...explained in the manual). Be aware that every time the machine loses power and the power comes back on that the machine will reset itself to that 30 day average. 30 day averages don't change very fast so don't panic if there is a big difference from the 30 day average and the last night numbers you see on the sleep report.
One bad night with maybe a lot of awake breathing false positive flags can hold up the average for a little while.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Snoozey

Post by Snoozey » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:29 pm

I think Ive just found out why Ive started developing auto immune pain in my left shoulder, instead of having it down when I sleep on my stomach, Ive been putting it 90 degrees under my pillow for as long as i can remember. Just tried the Falcon position and WOW so much more conmfortable. i dont need to bend my knee quite as much as seen in some pics. Also my current pillow is one of those contoured to support the neck when lying on your back. It can still work but if I have the mask half way off the pillow it means i push the pillow further than half way over our bed which will annoy my partner, its almost like I need a normal pillow chopped in half. I would like to swap positions through out the night, but predominantly left side sleeper.

Also, anybody using a full face mask, do you notice a lot of tickling of your nose or facial area and when the mask is on, its soooooo annoying. not so bad with sleep meds, but without, I cant get to sleep it annoys me so much. nasal pillows I can tickle my nose, but then my mouth may open causing a leak. Any work arounds?

Thanks ya'll. This community is awesome.

Snoozey

Post by Snoozey » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:14 pm
One bad night with maybe a lot of awake breathing false positive flags can hold up the average for a little while.
Pugsy you rock. I just got why you call yourself pugsy, I wish I could change mine to bull dog or frenchy haha, poor dogs bred for such things though, feel some empathy there.

Yep, most of mine are central apneas and my AHI daily appears under 1.0.

Tonight Im armed and ready with all these new tools, will give the nasal pillows a go and also the full face if i wake up in middle of night, which im use to, for a pee break.

I am on sleep meds as even without apap i struggle to fall asleep, even with thyroid issues.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 pm

Some of the guys say that if they trims the nose hairs a bit that itchy feeling will subside.
For some people the air going over the nostrils hairs seems to make itchy sensations worse and trimming the hairs will help.

Pugsy was a private handle given to me on a different forum many years ago because of my love for may pugs.
When I came here I decided to make it official.

You can choose any avatar you wish and even change it. Lots of people use pictures of their pets here.
Also if you want to change your screen name....that's doable as well.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:51 pm

My daughter has 2 pugs and 3 Frenchies.
OMG are they ever cute.
I have 2 pugs, a wire haired terrier and a beagle/blue healer mix....all rescue dogs.
If I got another dog.....I would be really tempted to get a Frenchie....but don't tell my husband.
I also have 5 cats and 2 horses and numerous possums and coons ....I don't need something else to feed and worry about.
I live out in the country.

Snoozey

Post by Snoozey » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:51 pm
My daughter has 2 pugs and 3 Frenchies.
I use to have a Staffy, but my partner she is allergic to cats and dogs. So we going to try fostering an outside dog, hopefully a small to med size dog.

As soon as you youtube sleeping on stomach, nearly every physio is like DONT DO THIS, eeek. Maybe its partly why I have 4 prolapsed discs. But ive never been a good back sleeper, I do know is I sleep on my back I will get apnea, so thats when the full face mask needs to be on the ready ;-)

I wish there was a hybrid masks, nasal pillows, closed mouth piece, so I can scratch my nose. Its more my nose and facial skin, Im very sensitive and just the thought of it makes me want to scratch haha.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Snoozey wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:18 pm
I wish there was a hybrid masks, nasal pillows, closed mouth piece, so I can scratch my nose
Ask and ye shall receive.
You have options like that in full face masks.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/philip ... k-fit-pack

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -face-mask

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... k-headgear

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respca ... -cpap-mask

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 am

Snoozey wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:29 pm
...its almost like I need a normal pillow chopped in half.
Snoozey, I have two pillows that are 14 inches by 21 inches, so much smaller than normal size. Here are links to both:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Z3 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RK ... UTF8&psc=1

They are both pricier than when I bought mine, but are great pillows. I am a back sleeper and like thinner pillows for that reason. I would think thin pillows would be good for stomach sleeping too. The purple pillow is designed for children, but I love it for my big adult size head. The buckwheat hulls pillow has a zipper that allows one to add or remove buckwheat until the pillow is most comfy for the user.

The purple pillow also comes in a same dimension but thicker pillow which I tried first. It was great but higher than I liked. Here's a link to it as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081T ... UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, there are small pillows out there. You just have to look for them. Oh, by the way, I have found that a standard size pillowcase works if you put the pillow in sideways. Being lazy, I just fold the extra length under the pillow and all is well.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:36 pm

For definition of AI versus AHI, please carefully re-read Pugsy's post above.

The exhale holes in the mask are to allow your exhaled CO2 to be released into the room so that you don't re-breathe it.

EPR decreases the pressure during EXHALE, so you breathe out against less pressure than when you are breathing in. For example, if your pressure is 7 during inhale and you have EPR-3, your exhale pressure is 4 (7 minus 3 = 4). EPR is billed as a "comfort feature," and in some people it can be related to their Central Apneas.

The point is -- EPR has nothing to do with the exhale holes in the mask. They are two different things, there for two different reasons.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

Snoozey

Post by Snoozey » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.
You have options like that in full face masks.
Yeah I had a look through hybrids before reading this, none of them seemed to get great reviews. I guess as they are a compromise, ok at both but not great at either perhaps.... not sure.

These are the nasal pillows I been trying

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fp-bre ... k-headgear

They are sooooooo much harder to breath against than my F20 full face mask.

None the less I got 6 hours in last night, AHI 0.9. I would have prefered to not wake up at 10 to 6am, oh well.

It seems if Im not on my back, the only apneas I am having are central apneas. And only a few per night. If Im in a 3/4 on side toward back, thats when I get hypopneas.

So I have 3 pillows, 1 small one, 1 head support one, 1 normal shape, all of them are that lovely soft material like memory foam but better. Last night I just use the head support, even though I didnt sleep on my back, I just had my head on the edge of the pillow. Seemed to work.

The FnP simplus mask is tiny in comparison to the f20 which goes from my chin to between my eyes, but partially due to I think I should have a Med not Larg. It does have a forehead strap which is either a plus or a minus, but share size of the pillows only goes to bridhge of knows, so wouldnt have pillows pressing on my puffy orbital areas....

4.5/5, is the best reviews Ive seen on a mask. I might ask to try one...... https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -face-mask

Also for a nasal mask the Eson 2 seems pretty good, much much better head gear to stop me pulling it off in my sleep lol

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -cpap-mask

Most nights are almost uneventful AHI sub 0.7 etc, but one night which I had the mask on 8 hours (full face), AHI 8.9 eeek. Was mostly all Clear Airway in Oscar, but also a lot of "Cheyne Stokes Respiration" as well. So good to know it helped me that night. Clear Away obstructions I presume would be Central Apneas in the machine? Does the machine help with Clear Airway obstructions, i mean if its clear, and your brain has stopped you breathing, how does the machine tell your brain to start breathing again?

So, my next step is to try sleeping on my back for first time in years, supposedly its better for the back, I have 4 lumbar herniations and often wake up with one that has moved a mm and pressing more on the spinal cord, giving me more pain that normal, usually in the legs etc (until I stand that is).

A lot of info. So thank you to everyone who had replied and helped me on this journey. Most nights APAP seems overkill but for those AHI 8.9 nights, it could well be worth suffering the masks.......

Well Cheyne Stokes Resp doesnt sound wonderful haha, luckily it was a one night event, for some reason everything went wrong that night though

"Cheyne-Stokes respirations are a rare abnormal breathing pattern 1 that can occur while awake but usually occurs during sleep. The pattern involves a period of fast, shallow breathing followed by slow, heavier breathing and moments without any breath at all, called apneas."

Last edited by Snoozey on Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res: AirS10 Auto, HumidAir. ClimLineAir-Oxy, AirFit/Touch-F20 (also trialing FnP nasal pillows).

CyberSpiff

Post by CyberSpiff » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Snoozey wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:29 pm
Also, anybody using a full face mask, do you notice a lot of tickling of your nose or facial area and when the mask is on, its soooooo annoying. not so bad with sleep meds, but without, I cant get to sleep it annoys me so much. nasal pillows I can tickle my nose, but then my mouth may open causing a leak. Any work arounds?
I do get “tickles” usually after putting the mask on and before the heated humid air arrives. Personally if I have something under my F20 that itches, I scratch it. I don’t know if the 1-2 seconds it takes to wriggle a finger under the mask to scratch matters over the course of a night, but figure it’s better to scratch than lay there wanting to scratch.
There is no right or wrong side of the road. There is only the road.

Snoozey

Post by Snoozey » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 pm

CyberSpiff wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:49 pm
Personally if I have something under my F20 that itches, I scratch it. I don’t know if the 1-2 seconds it takes to wriggle a finger under the mask to scratch matters over the course of a night, but figure it’s better to scratch than lay there wanting to scratch.
Hehe same same. I just wish the F20 wasnt so dang big. very effective I think, but the trade off is any resemblance of comfort while trying to fall asleep, which is why I need medication for the time being, trying to wean down on these.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Snoozey wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:26 pm
Most nights are almost uneventful AHI sub 0.7 etc, but one night which I had the mask on 8 hours (full face), AHI 8.9 eeek. Was mostly all Clear Airway in Oscar, but also a lot of "Cheyne Stokes Respiration" as well. So good to know it helped me that night. Clear Away obstructions I presume would be Central Apneas in the machine? Does the machine help with Clear Airway obstructions, i mean if its clear, and your brain has stopped you breathing, how does the machine tell your brain to start breathing again?
Regular cpap/apap machines can't do anything to help with central apneas so they don't even try.
One has to use a very special machine that can do things that regular cpap can't do,

And yes...Clear Airway on the OSCAR software is equal to central apneas. No air flow but the airway is open but no effort to breathe. Hold your breath for 15 seconds...that's a 15 second central/clear airway apnea.

Snoozey

Post by Snoozey » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:25 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:00 pm
And yes...Clear Airway on the OSCAR software is equal to central apneas. No air flow but the airway is open but no effort to breathe. Hold your breath for 15 seconds...that's a 15 second central/clear airway apnea.
I use to hold it 150 second frequently under water, well all day long really.

I do wonder if it could be medication related?

Its definitely my main apnea type, but most nights my ahi is 0.9 or below and a few central apneas in that at most.

When would central apnea be deemed a serious problem?