Are CPAP machine hose standard?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Headintheclouds

Are CPAP machine hose standard?

Post by Headintheclouds » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am

Hi there, I use a Philips Respironics ResMed machine, and lately I'm noticing that the hose may be leaking air (one end start making hissing sounds when switched on). When I look online I can only find "standard tubing for Dreamstation" which isn't the machine I have. Will they work with my ResMed machine? Won't alter the pressure or anything? What other tubing is suitable? There are so many types on Amazon – some are clearly not right but some have attaching parts that look close enough to what i have

Julie

Re: Are CPAP machine hose standard?

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:16 am

Most hoses fit most machines, but some are heated and may only fit certain ones, others are different sizes of course depending on what you're attaching. If they're not fitted properly though they can hiss, etc... so make sure to attach them straight on. If there's a slit in a hose somewhere allowing air to escape, a little duct tape usually helps.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:54 am

The connectors on CPAP machines are a standard size and for the most part, hoses com in standard size, but there are differences one needs to be aware of.

Heated Hoses:
Headed hose will be specific to your machine and possibly model, they are not compatible

Hose Diameter:
CPAP hoses all use a 22 mm connector and can therefore fit on various manufacturers devices and share masks. But one needs to also be aware of the hose diameter as well. Originally the standard diameter was 19 mm (standard), now the most popular size is 15 mm. And Philips has introduced a 12 mm hose for use with it's DreamStation 2.

The reason hose diameter is important is because it affects the resistance and can influence the pressure at the mask.

You need to take greater care is describing your machine. You've stated you have a Philips Respironics ResMed, you can't. Philips Respironics is one company, ResMed is another. This would be like saying you have a Ford Chevy truck.

What hose you want is dependent on exactly what machine you want and whether you want it heated.

You machine is likely one of the following model lines:
DreamStation 1
DreamStation 2
ResMed S9
ResMed Air 10
ResMed Air 11

They all take unique heated hoses, but can all use the popular 22mm(connector) / 15mm hose . You may need to set the hose type on the configuration of you machine.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/6-ft-1 ... ubber-ends

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:56 am

Headintheclouds wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am
I use a Philips Respironics ResMed machine,
There are Philips Respironics machines and there are ResMed machines but there is no combo machine.
Headintheclouds wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 am
When I look online I can only find "standard tubing for Dreamstation" which isn't the machine I have. Will they work with my ResMed machine?
All standard tubing will fit all brands of machines unless you are using the ResMed AirMini travel machine.

When you see standard or slimline non heated hoses they are referring to the inside diameter of the hose itself. The parts of the hoses that connect to the cpap machine or masks are all universal in size and will fit all machines and masks with the exception of the AirMini.

I don't know where you have been looking but there are lots of options for hoses available.

https://www.cpap.com/category/cpap-supplies/cpap-hoses

click on standard-performance for non heated hoses and with heating coils for heated hoses.

Depending on your model ResMed machine you likely will need to choose a setting for hose diameter when getting a non heated hose. This is important for proper pressure delivery.
If you are getting a heated hose your machine will automatically select the hose diameter when the hose is plugged in.

So non heated hoses are universal brand compatible.
Heated hoses are brand specific though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Headintheclouds

Post by Headintheclouds » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Thanks All - these are super practical advice. I've duct taped it for the time being but probably get a new one in time
I have to hoses and both seem to have punctured. They puncture quite easily

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Headintheclouds wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 pm
Thanks All - these are super practical advice. I've duct taped it for the time being but probably get a new one in time
I've never been able to figure out how people manage to mangle hoses, I've had two in the last 11 years, and only replaced the first one because the ends got loose and wouldn't hold onto the mask.

In other words, they don't puncture easily in my experience.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:08 am

I destroyed two hoses in my first month of treatment.
In my sleep--no effing idea how.
Since then, I have hung my hose from a DIY crane attached to the wall above my pillow.
Now my hose is safe.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:41 am

Headintheclouds wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:20 pm
Inexpensive hoses at Amazon....As low as $6 including shipping. If you continue to have these leak problems, buy a bunch.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:02 pm

As already stated not-heated hoses can be used on just about any CPAP. However, as also stated, heated hoses and brand specific, and sometimes even model specific.

BTW, the heated hoses from the DreamStation1 can be used with the DreamStation2. There is also a new type for the DreamStation2 that is narrower. However, the machine will adjust automatically.