COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zonker

Re: COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

Post by zonker » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:33 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:39 pm
Great news for those of us vaccinated with two doses of mRNA.

The vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna set off a persistent immune reaction in the body that may protect against the coronavirus for years, scientists reported on Monday (6/28/2021).

The findings add to growing evidence that most people immunized with the mRNA vaccines MAY NOT NEED BOOSTERS, so long as the virus and its variants do not evolve much beyond their current forms — which is not guaranteed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/28/heal ... unity.html
thanks for posting this.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:59 pm

I am hoping to see more studies and data on how robust and long lasting the immunity is from heterologous AstraZeneca and mRNA vaccinations. My husband got these two, as did many, many Canadians (AZ followed by Moderna or Pfizer).

ChicagoGranny

NEJM: Confronting Our Next National Health Disaster — Long-Haul Covid

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:51 pm

... we can conservatively expect more than 15 million cases of long Covid resulting from this pandemic. And though data are still emerging, the average age of patients with long Covid is about 40, which means that the majority are in their prime working years. Given these demographics, long Covid is likely to cast a long shadow on our health care system and economic recovery.

To understand why long Covid represents a looming catastrophe, we need look no further than the historical antecedents: similar postinfection syndromes. Experience with conditions such as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome, chronic Epstein–Barr virus, and even the 19th-century diagnosis of neurasthenia could foreshadow the suffering of patients with long Covid in the months and years after infection.

Full article: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2109285

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:35 am

Unfortunately, the wjde variety of symptoms will only provide reasons
for providers to delay treatment and excuses for insurance companies
to refuse coverage.
Causality needs to be established without question,
so there will be no hesitation in diagnosis and treatment.
I believe this is possible because COV19 is far more common than,
say, Lyme disease, providing more cases to study.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Biden kicking unvaccinated butts. Too late to have much effect on the current surge. Get some court cases decided so the Feds can more easily kick unvaccinated butts when the next pandemic comes along.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:17 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Biden kicking unvaccinated butts. Too late to have much effect on the current surge. Get some court cases decided so the Feds can more easily kick unvaccinated butts when the next pandemic comes along.
"unvaccinated butts" is the name of my new punk band.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:44 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:39 pm
Great news for those of us vaccinated with two doses of mRNA.

The vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna set off a persistent immune reaction in the body that may protect against the coronavirus for years, scientists reported on Monday (6/28/2021).

The findings add to growing evidence that most people immunized with the mRNA vaccines MAY NOT NEED BOOSTERS, so long as the virus and its variants do not evolve much beyond their current forms — which is not guaranteed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/28/heal ... unity.html
Bumping this up again since we are now looking at Pfizer booster shots, and probably Moderna too down the road.

There are likely quite a few posters on this board who live in the US and UK and now qualify for boosters with Pfizer.

Any break through infections due to waning immunity among folks here?

For those who have had boosters, did you have side effects? Was it any different this time around?

The second dose of Moderna really kicked my butt for about 24 hours. Due to our roll out here in Canada there was an interval of 8 weeks between first and second shot especially for the over 40s.

I am wondering if folks might have different experiences with a third dose of Pfizer due to longer interval between doses this time around.

It will be interesting to see what happens now.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:37 am

Arlene1963 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:44 am
Haven't heard of any which doesn't mean much I know.
Arlene1963 wrote:
The second dose of Moderna really kicked my butt for about 24 hours.
As it did mine for about 2 days.
Arlene1963 wrote:
I am wondering if folks might have different experiences with a third dose of Pfizer due to longer interval between doses this time around.

It will be interesting to see what happens now.
I fully expect the FDA to come out with similar advice on both Moderna and J & J vaccine (as they did with Pfizer) for boosters once the data is reviewed.

Personally....my thoughts...I have been telling my husband to expect a booster recommendation (for various reasons) since the vaccines were first authorized. He used to pooh pooh off my thoughts but now he doesn't since everything I have predicted has borne out true pretty much since March 2020. :lol: In this situation I have prayed that I would be wrong with all my private thoughts but I haven't been....but I suppose there is always the chance of first time.

I am past the 6 month mark with Moderna. So I have been thinking about that 3rd dose. Not looking forward to having my butt kicked again :lol: but I have adopted the idea that I still fear Covid more than I fear potential booster side effects.
I live in a rural county with high rate of positive tests and low vaccination rate (36% at this point). I know of at least 3 deaths of family members of friend's of mine...all unvaccinated. All up there in terms of age and had other health factors putting them at a higher risk.....pretty much confirming what we are seeing being reported in the news.
While the number of deaths from break through infections is really low...it's not like it is zero and I don't want to be a part of a relatively low statistic.

I will be getting the booster either when FDA/CDC encourages it for my age group or I decide to just get it and use the "immune compromised" reason. I just haven't decided yet as to when. I just passed the 6 month mark a couple of weeks ago.
Yes, it may kick my butt again but I know I can survive a butt kicking....no guarantee I can survive a break through infection. I am 69 and have a few of those co morbid factors muddying up things.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Setj

Post by Setj » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:40 am

Arlene1963 wrote:
For those who have had boosters, did you have side effects? Was it any different this time around?
I am a Pfizer trial volunteer. I got a third dose 11 months after my second dose. I had a very low fever (100F) for three days after the third dose. I didn't feel particularly bad, but I did hang around the house for three days. (I usually have strong side effects from vaccines.)

Here is what my MD immunologist friend says about the need for a third dose. The two doses in the trial were given close together in a race to get something out because of the pandemic situation. This was a good decision at the time because too many people were dying, being hospitalized or developing long COVID. For long-term protection, the two doses would have been given further apart. This MD thinks there is a good chance that a third dose 8 or more months after the second dose will give very long-term protection, possibly lifetime protection. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Of course, the big problem is those who have no doses in them. They are the ones spreading it and endangering vaccinated people whose immune systems aren't optimal.
Seth

(I made a typo when I registered the user name. :oops: )

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:22 am

My soon to be son in law (gosh I am so excited to be calling him that finally ) had a breakthrough covid a few months ago. He had Pfizer My daughter who had the Moderna shot did not get sick. My nieces entire vaccinated family had breakthrough infections a few weeks back. One had J&J I'm not sure which shots the others had. None of the not vaccinated family members have been sick.

As sick as I was with the J&J I won't do that EVER again. If they let us mix and match I might consider a booster of Moderna, I'm going to wait and watch for now.

SummerTime

Post by SummerTime » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:53 am

Arlene1963 wrote:
Bumping this up again since we are now looking at Pfizer booster shots, and probably Moderna too down the road.

There are likely quite a few posters on this board who live in the US and UK and now qualify for boosters with Pfizer.

We got the booster shot on September 10th. Moderna. Much the same as the first two shots. Arm was sore and I was grumpy and tired the following day. My husband couldn't sleep that night but rested and took it easy the next day. The following day, except for sore arms, we were okay.
Resmed AirSense 10 Auto For Her
Masks: N30 - P10

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:53 am

Attention everyone.

Keep this thread on topic and keep the politics out of it.

Off topic posts will be removed.

It was revived for discussion about boosters not for political comments.
So essentially STFU if you want to bring politics here.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:22 am

I received the Pfizer booster vaccine two days ago. Minimal side effects: shoulder pain, which is easing, and a headache yesterday which is gone today.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney