Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:38 am

I am wondering how many lemons did that DME buy "off the back of that truck" . . .

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

babydinosnoreless

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:50 am

I have two aircurve machines neither give me noise when put together properly. Both have given me a whine similar to that when the hose was not connected correctly to the machine.

jim22

Post by jim22 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:41 pm

I received a new Airsense 10 autoset a couple weeks ago. It was perfectly silent when I went to sleep the first night, and it sounded very much like #1 in the morning. The second night i could not fall asleep with the noise, switched back to my condemned PR System One, and returned it. No idea when i will get it back.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:28 am

Since exposure to loud sounds will eventually desensitize one to sounds of that pitch,
(Drummer's/machinist's deafness) regular respironics users may be inured
to the sounds of a respironics machine,
and the sound made by resmed devices would seem louder by comparison.
Just looking at a puzzling question from a sensory angle . . .

krr643500

Post by krr643500 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:50 am

You are definitely not alone. I've been using the Airsense 10 for over three years without issue until about three weeks ago. Listening to the recordings you made was such a relief for me because the noise is so low I thought it was my ears playing tricks on me. I've tried covering the until with towels to muffle it but it doesn't help. It's at a pitch that is very easy for me to hear and as I am a light sleeper its kept me up at night. I'm actually writing this at nearly 1 am because I can't sleep because of it. The bad part is it's a holiday weekend and I eonr be able to call Lincare (my DME provider) until Tuesday afternoon. Then God only knows how long they will take to get me a new unit or even if the insurance company will pay for it. Meantime I'm in for sleepless nights like before I got the CPAP.

restoresleep

Post by restoresleep » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm

Sorry for not coming back to this until now. Had some really bad sleeps because of the machine issues that have knocked my APAP progress back quite badly so have been focusing on getting my sh1t together again. I ended up visiting ResMed with my wife and after testing multiple machines (that were all noisy) I got a refurbished one from them with over 4,000 hours that was made 2+ years ago and is really quiet. Seems like the more recently built machines are noisy...
ILoveFlowers wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:20 am
Are the recordings only the machine and not any mask sounds? It kind of sounds like when the pressure gets high and the mask is leaking, like air wooshing. I do hear the high pitched sound in the background on some of them.

I have good hearing and machine/mask noises bother me a lot when I'm trying to sleep. My AirSense 10 is practically silent (but it's still new). It seems very strange that you would get one bad machine after another. Have you tried placing it on different surfaces to see if it changes the sound? I once had my old machine setting on a surface (a small table) that for some reason acted as a sound board and magnified every sound it made.

Does changing the filter make any difference at all?
> Recordings are only at the machine, not near the mask.
> I tried different surfaces and nothing made a difference.
> I tried new filters and no change.
chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:29 am
Check for any part of the cpap touching any solid object.
Hose was against the mattress only but good idea to check!
Miss Emerita wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:58 pm
I'd be incredibly frustrated too. One possibility that hasn't come up in this thread: have you checked that you have the right setting for the size of the hose you're using?
Yes the machine seems to automatically detect which hose I am using. I use the heated hose and it is set to this hose.
dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:10 pm
My first machine made a noise similar to the first two that you have posted. I let the company that I purchased it from listen on the phone and they sent me a new machine. I hear a similar noise in my new machine, but it's not a loud.
Some things that the DME told me, make sure the humidifier chamber is in all the way and that the rubber/silicone material on the humidifier chamber isn't bunched up. Also make sure the filter is in correctly and that you have the correct filter type (not an antimicrobial filter).
palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:58 pm
I've heard multiple reports of people getting noise when the humidifier tank isn't properly seated, some have put a little bit of water soluble lube on the silicone in the machine. where the tank connects.
I don't use the humidifier as I drool a lot so I found that not using the humidifier keeps the drool down! :)
krr643500 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:50 am
Meantime I'm in for sleepless nights like before I got the CPAP.
Hope you get your machine sorted out. After going through those 5 machines I visited ResMed with my wife and we chose an older refurbished AirSense 10 that is way quieter than any of the newer built machines. Don't know if their build standards have dropped in the last 2 years...

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm

restoresleep wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:58 pm
I've heard multiple reports of people getting noise when the humidifier tank isn't properly seated, some have put a little bit of water soluble lube on the silicone in the machine. where the tank connects.
I don't use the humidifier as I drool a lot so I found that not using the humidifier keeps the drool down! :)
It doesn't matter whether you use the humidifier or not, (unless you've removed the humidifier chamber and are using the blanking plate), either of them, if not properly seated, will cause more noise.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

restoresleep

Post by restoresleep » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:49 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm
It doesn't matter whether you use the humidifier or not, (unless you've removed the humidifier chamber and are using the blanking plate), either of them, if not properly seated, will cause more noise.
By "I don't use the humidifier" I meant that I use the blanking plate.

The noises I experienced on these machines occurred when:
1. Having the humidifier chamber attached and using the humidifier
2. Having the humidifier chamber attached but not actually turning on the humidifier.
3. Using the blanking plate in place of the humidifier chamber.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:59 am

restoresleep wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:49 am
palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm
By "I don't use the humidifier" I meant that I use the blanking plate.
I have more turbine whine transmitted up the tube when I use the blanking plate than when there's an empty humidifier chamber on the side of the machine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

harrywr2

Post by harrywr2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:31 pm

My Airsense 10 made some noise so I put a computer mouse mat under it. Fixed.

guswah

Post by guswah » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:07 pm

My brand new AirSense 10, now with fewer than 50 hours on it, makes noise similar to the first recording. But before I pushed the panic button, I took a closer look.

It's clear that the sound comes from the tank connections into the machine and relates directly to the passage of air over the water chamber and out through the tube during inhalation. Last night I found that by squeezing the tank's plastic lid a little, as though I'm closing it more tightly, I can make the sound completely disappear. Apparently the slightest movement of the tank in/out ports, though inserted correctly into machine, is what allows the "wheeze" to occur, and it means that ResMed's engineering of these components leaves room for improvement. What's amazing is that after years of production and undoubtedly MANY complaints, the company continues to pump out the same flaw, machine after machine, as though it does not care.

It seems to me that ResMed would earn a lot of brownie points if it announced a (free) retrofit that solves or minimizes the issue.
Last edited by guswah on Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed AirSense 10, AirMini, F20 mask, bitchin' big battery in case I need a nap in the field

Jeffj318

Post by Jeffj318 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:23 pm

My wife has the Resmed 10 and she sleeps through the night. I can hear her breathing through the machine at times. Does that sound right?
Resmed Airsense 10 For Her set on the For Her mode.
Phillips Dreamwear nasal cushion mask
My wife is the CPAP user.

krr643500

Post by krr643500 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:03 am

I am in the exact same situation you are in. As a matter of fact I'm writing this reply because I'm unable to sleep due to the whirring noise in my Airsense 10. It started about three months ago. I've had my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for four years without a single noise issue. Then about three months ago I started to hear a high pitched whirring noise when I breathed in. I thought at first it was a filter issue so I changed to a new filter but the noise was still there. Now it is an every night thing and I am unable to sleep because of it. I've tried lowering the unit below ear level, covering it with towels, pillows, and clothing but as you said the noise seems to travel up the hose so there is no way to stop it. I'm so frustrated because I'm unable to sleep due to the sound and I have no idea what to do. I'm worried my insurance company won't pay for a new machine until I reach the 5 year mark and my DME company is extremely ineffective and incompetent. Sorry for the ranting but I just wanted you to know you are not alone. This problem with whirring noises during intake of breath seems to be a big problem with the Airsense 10. It's all over the internet. I hope Resmed gets their act together soon. I don't know what I will do if I can't get a new machine.

BruceBannisterFraser

Post by BruceBannisterFraser » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:37 am

Hi all, first time on here and like the discussion its a fault that brings me here.
i have been using Cpap for about 14 years and have had the same machine without issue for all that time, [ it's still perfect ]
at the beginning of December i recieved a brand new Airsense 10, the first night was bliss, it was so quiet, almost life changingly so.
the second night i noticed a slight short sort of "hum" noise when breathing in and it kept me awake most of the night as i tuned in, i changed to the old style nasal pillows, but no change, changed the hoses, even replaced the filter and also ran without one, nothing stopped the noise so i swapped all the new kit hose, pillows etc to my old Cpap and it was perfect, today 29th Dec i received a replacement and it's exactly the same as the first one, i went through all the swap combinations, but still the same noise, if i hold my breath the noise is constant, there is no leaks and even my wife can hear it, one thing i tried was to remove the mask/pillows and start the machine with just the hose with the end partially blocked to act like the pillows and you can hear the noise resonating along the hose, there is no way i can sleep with this noise, if it was at least constant then i would get used to it, but each breath intake with a low level squeak i think would keep most awake, it actually sounds like the rubber seals on double glazing windows failing in gale force winds.
any advice would be gratefully recieved.

PS the other thing i noticed was when the pressure was set to the same as my old one it was way too high to the point i couldn't breath out, so clearly there is a difference in pressure readings/settings, this has no affect on the noise, just an observation..........B

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 pm

This sounds really frustrating. Please check the seals on your humidifier -- it's possible they're the source of the noise.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/