Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 11760
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:48 am

brightcrow wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm
I’d rather not be too graphic, but my nasal passages are scabbed, bleeding, and raw. My Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist confirmed it was definitely related to the CPAP and nasal pillows.
In the OP, you say it's an infection. What did the ENT prescribe?

User avatar
Dog Slobber
Posts: 2877
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:05 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:05 am

brightcrow wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:49 pm
I had been previously using Palmolive Free and Clear up to now, but read the Resmed recommendations which scared me enough to try another product.
You've been using Palmolive Free and Clear for years without incident.

Switch back.

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 30223
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:42 am

brightcrow wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm
I’m so tired of sparring with people here.
Then quit.
brightcrow wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm
Everybody is so darn sure they know exactly what they’re talking about and that anyone else is wrong.
Because we have years more experience.
brightcrow wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm
How about looking at this as public service announcement for those who care!
Because it is *bad* "advice", because it doesn't work.

Mild detergent *will not harm silicone*, in fact, just the opposite, it removes oils very well, and it is the oils that will harm the silicone, look it up, do some research with chemical manufacturers.

Likewise, alcohol is fine to use on silicone.

If you just want to post whatever and have people now at your feet for blessing them with your presence, you'll be a lot happier somewhere else.

If you post here, be prepared to be corrected.

Consider, reamed wants to sell you more masks, more cushions, are they really going to tell you how to make your mask cushions last for *years*? Maybe, maybe not.
Get OSCAR and come chat on IRC: #cpaptalk on irc.libera.chat

Accounts to put on the foe list: mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They're often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
photonic
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by photonic » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks so much for this discussion. I have just had to switch to a ResMed ASV because of the Phillips recall and after reading all the new manuals was also baffled by the not using Dawn liquid comment, since I have been using just that daily for7 years. (mask, humidifier tub, nose plugs - I use the Oracle mouth mask). I never smell any residue and I rinse thoroughly. I do notice that over time the clear silicone mouth gasket does start to tun milky after a while, but I typically use this mask for a few years before replacement!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Oracle Mouth Mask
Hozer hose management device
OSCAR software

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 31241
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: in a nice, moist bog

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:51 pm

Agreed, Photonic.
After all, the OP never came back to tell us what his real problem was.
Regular posters use what works for years, and are eager to share what works.
The "instant experts" show up from time to time,
and all we can do is correct the bad information, because we pay it forward.
(((I will not use Tide, because I hate the scent--and it makes me sneeze.)))
But that's just me . . .
Last edited by chunkyfrog on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset FOR HER, p10 mask

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 30223
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:16 pm

photonic wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:49 am
was also baffled by the not using Dawn liquid comment,
I have no clue about "not using Dawn" since I have used it for years. works great.
Get OSCAR and come chat on IRC: #cpaptalk on irc.libera.chat

Accounts to put on the foe list: mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They're often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 31241
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: in a nice, moist bog

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:49 pm

brightcrow wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm
. . .
as public service announcement . . .
Public service is not spreading stupid crap over the internet.
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset FOR HER, p10 mask

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 30223
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:04 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:49 pm
brightcrow wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm
. . .
as public service announcement . . .
Public service is not spreading stupid crap over the internet.
Bravo, most excellent frog.
Get OSCAR and come chat on IRC: #cpaptalk on irc.libera.chat

Accounts to put on the foe list: mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They're often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bubba in NC
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:29 am
Location: Raleigh NC

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by Bubba in NC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:37 pm

7th Generation Free and Clear dishwashing liquid for mask,hose and tank. Soak at least 20 minutes and rinse in hot water once a week. Never had a problem.
ResMed Airsense 10
ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 31241
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: in a nice, moist bog

Re: Resmed: What not to clean with...And what I should use instead?

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Bubba in NC wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:37 pm
7th Generation Free and Clear dishwashing liquid for mask,hose and tank. Soak at least 20 minutes and rinse in hot water once a week. Never had a problem.
Less is better--easier on the silicone.
Soaking trashed my first set of nasal pillows--so much scum I had to throw them away.
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset FOR HER, p10 mask