Success in training use of nasal pillows for mouth breathers?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ALYM7C

Success in training use of nasal pillows for mouth breathers?

Post by ALYM7C » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:43 am

I am wondering if any mouth breathers (due more to restrictions than just OSA dx; i.e. allergies, narrow sinuses, etc.) have had success in transitioning to nasal breathing at night. More over, have you been able to stop using chin straps/ mouth strips with the nasal pillows after you have adjusted to CPAP therapy?

More Info:

About me: I am very new to PAP (<2 weeks), and use the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. But, I have tried a lot already. I have very narrow sinuses (per my ENT) and many allergies (currently getting allergy shots). Awake it is difficult to breathe through my nose as my sinuses collapse, and this has gotten worse over time. The past 3-4 months I have been using semi-disposable nasal strips (intake breathing) both awake and asleep, which has significantly reduced my congestion and allows me to breathe through my nose with my mouth shut.

Things I've tried with nasal pillows
- I started with the nasal pillows, and I am by no means adjusted to therapy yet. I have continued to use my intake strip with CPAP, so far.
- Chin strap. This did nothing to hold my mouth closed.
- Mouth taping: I started with medical tape and ordered somniflex. The medical tape worked ok, but was very suffocating and very uncomfortable to remove. Somniflex was easy to remove but even the small hole was enough to start pursed-lip breathing, and the humidification would loosen the bottom lip.
- Heated tube - this is awesome!

- What worked with the pillows: Nasal pillow + intake strip + somniflex + medical tape to seal hole on somniflex and secure to bottom lip. If i skipped any step here, I wake up as soon as I drift off because air will gush out of my mouth. It's just... a lot.

Anyway.... I'm using the f30 now. Which is fine, but I know I'm not getting any benefit from nose breathing, and it's more cumbersome. I'm mostly just curious/hopeful that with time I may be able to train myself to use the pillows.

Thanks! :)

Julie

Re: Success in training use of nasal pillows for mouth breathers?

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:56 pm

Just curious, bu† have you tried any full face masks? If not, why not?

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:17 pm

ALYM7C wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:43 am
Anyway.... I'm using the f30 now.
JPB

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:41 pm

ALYM7C wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:43 am
I am wondering if any mouth breathers (due more to restrictions than just OSA dx; i.e. allergies, narrow sinuses, etc.) have had success in transitioning to nasal breathing at night. More over, have you been able to stop using chin straps/ mouth strips with the nasal pillows after you have adjusted to CPAP therapy?
welcome to the zoo!

i've been using nasal pillows for almost six years. i still have to have help keeping my lips zipped.

instead of chinstrap and taping, i use a firm foam cervical collar and scuncis.

collar at amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/Coreline-Cervica ... 113&sr=8-5

scunci method as described by forum member jay-

https://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... s#p1086296

again, not keeping my mouth shut on my own. just typing this in case you are interested.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Please note: Every nasal pillow mask is different from every other.
Every nose is different.
Size, shape, and angle will determine which one will work for you.
I have tried several. Only one was THE ONE.
When congestion happens, I use a decongestant spray and a breathe right strip.

ALYM7C

Post by ALYM7C » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm

"instead of chinstrap and taping, i use a firm foam cervical collar and scuncis."

These are great suggestions! I will definitely try them out :)

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:59 am

ALYM7C wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm
"instead of chinstrap and taping, i use a firm foam cervical collar and scuncis."

These are great suggestions! I will definitely try them out :)

please let me know how it goes.

i had to modify the rig somewhat as apparently my dome and jay's are quite a bit different!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

but i swear that using these together helped me to lower my ahi by a full point.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:33 pm

Q: How do I get to Carnegie Hall?
A: Practice, practice, practice

Same for going from a mouth breather with full-face mask to a nasal breather with pillows.

I tried for months to use nasal pillows but kept opening my yap when deep asleep, which would wake me up. I followed Zonker’s advice about the cervical collar and ended up using a soft collar as it was sufficient to keep my mouth closed and also much more comfortable to me. I personally use the Caldera Releaf neck rest. I rarely get any leaks but do occasionally get a brief large leak, but it does not wake me up. On the nights when my allergies are flaring I will use a full-face mask rather than fight against nature.

Two things that have helped me with allergy and deviated septum related stuffy nose is actually taking my bloody allergy meds and sprays as prescribed and to also use a nasal saline rinse (neti pot actually) when things are really bad. YMMV of course, but it works for me.

Listen to the smart kids on the forum. They have trail-blazed so folks like you and me can learn from them.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

Chikorita

Post by Chikorita » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 pm

I have no memory of how I did it but I used a chin strap to train myself to keep my mouth closed and eventually I weaned myself off the chin strap and only ocassionally have problems now. I say this coz there is hope for you.

________
Chikorita in Australia :: APAP since 3/8/2012
1 God, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 8 chooks, 5 ducks, 3 budgies and a bee hive
Equipment - ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset :: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow :: Pressure range 7-12cm :: OSCAR

photonic

Post by photonic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:11 pm

Ooo sorry to be late to the party but I have just gotten back on the board due to needing advice fon a change of machine.

I too am a mouth breather all my life and have always thought that if somebody taped my mouth, I would die (nightmare material!)

I tried a few full face masks but found them really restrictive and being a side sleeper, they didn't seem to stay put.

Then I tried the Oracle mouth mask and the included large-size nose plugs. Hazah!!! perfect. Since I was already a scuba diver in my youth, this just felt like having a regulator in my mouth. There was nothing else on my face. The nose plugs were comfortable and usually stayed in place. My mouth was dry in the morning but completely tolerable. I also use the Hozer tube management device and so the whole apparatus is almost "not there". This solved the whole mask puzzle for me and I have been using it for 7 years. Please ask me any questions because very few people know about or have tried this mask. I would be glad to help. It may just solve all your problems.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software