Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
n3kf

Re: Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by n3kf » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:58 pm

The Dreamstation 2 is only CPAP isn't it? So people with DS1s on CPAP will probably get a DS2. And those of us with a DS1 BiPAP or ASV system will probably get either a repaired or refurbished DS1?

Is my understanding right? Thanks.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:39 pm

n3kf wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:58 pm
The Dreamstation 2 is only CPAP isn't it? So people with DS1s on CPAP will probably get a DS2. And those of us with a DS1 BiPAP or ASV system will probably get either a repaired or refurbished DS1?

Is my understanding right? Thanks.
i don't think anyone has the straight skinny on this yet.

i type this so that someone can come in and triumphantly correct me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Stephaniedp3

Post by Stephaniedp3 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:15 pm

Sleeping Thunder wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:39 am
July 2017 - My DreamStation 1 was placed into service.
June 17, 2021 - Registered for the recall.
September 9, 2021 - FedEx just delivered a DreamStation 2 from Philips Respironics.
"The enclosed DreamStation 2 machine is provided to you as a replacement for your existing DreamStation machine. To insure proper disposal of your current machine, please return the affected machine following the instructions below."
That’s so good to hear. I submitted mine July 13th and have been using my MIL’s Resmed since then but now she’s asking for it back. Really hope I get it soon. I really don’t want to pay for a new one when I already spent so much on this in December 2019.

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am

I spoke with a Phillips recall agent today. Tavon told me that they advise Dreamstation owners of intent to ship prior to shipping. Is that the case with those who have recieved replacement Dreamstations? Want to be sure I know when something is coming.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:18 pm

My wife got a letter from Philips Respironics this week telling her about the recall. We have both had Air Curve 10 VAUTOs since we first started. :?: :?:

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Buddy0329

Post by Buddy0329 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:30 pm

I purchased DS1 4.5 years ago. Registered for the recall for the DS1 and the DS Go on June 17th. Purchased a Resmed Autoset 10 on June 22nd, and an Airmini soon after.

I received a FedEx tracking # from Philips this morning so I imagine that I have a DS2 on the way. Question is what should I do with it? I suppose I can just stash it in a closet for emergencies, but I also have an AirMini too now .

Buddy0329

Post by Buddy0329 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:32 pm

Aretino wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am
I spoke with a Phillips recall agent today. Tavon told me that they advise Dreamstation owners of intent to ship prior to shipping. Is that the case with those who have recieved replacement Dreamstations? Want to be sure I know when something is coming.

I unexpectedly received a FedEx tracking # from Philips this morning.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:54 pm

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:18 pm
My wife got a letter from Philips Respironics this week telling her about the recall. We have both had Air Curve 10 VAUTOs since we first started. :?: :?:
ka-CHING!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 am

Priceless: Getting started on Resmed, in 2010, even though it was because
the greedy DME could get full MSRP from BCBSNE and my sizable copay.
Lucky, even while getting the shaft.

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 pm

To those who got shipping information from Phillips or FedEx, where's your general location? East Coast?
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

Broadway Bennie

Post by Broadway Bennie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 pm

So here we are on September 13th and I just found out about the recall less than five days ago. I know I am late to this party and no doubt hundreds if not thousands of posts have been gone through. I probably sound like a broken record to many but the only thing a Phillips representative told me was to stop using the machine and call my doctor to explore alternatives, whatever that means. I would like to get some sense of what people are doing. Have people stopped using their CPAP machine to go to sleep? I just started two years ago and love it. I'm not in a hurry to give it up. Am I being stupid? What is the general consensus? I have this feeling that if I wait for Phillips to do something it could be a year - easily. An hour after I got the email stating my unit has been recalled, I received an email from the folks who provide me all my gear letting me know I was do for another three month supply of stuff. Recall? what recall. Thanks for reading, will look forward to reading more about all this.

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:09 pm

Broadway Bennie wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 pm
So here we are on September 13th and I just found out about the recall less than five days ago. I know I am late to this party and no doubt hundreds if not thousands of posts have been gone through. I probably sound like a broken record to many but the only thing a Phillips representative told me was to stop using the machine and call my doctor to explore alternatives, whatever that means. I would like to get some sense of what people are doing. Have people stopped using their CPAP machine to go to sleep? I just started two years ago and love it. I'm not in a hurry to give it up. Am I being stupid? What is the general consensus? I have this feeling that if I wait for Phillips to do something it could be a year - easily. An hour after I got the email stating my unit has been recalled, I received an email from the folks who provide me all my gear letting me know I was do for another three month supply of stuff. Recall? what recall. Thanks for reading, will look forward to reading more about all this.
Talk with your doctor about what's best for you, in regards to continuing therapy with your Philips CPAP machine. There's a report based out of the United Kingdom that ChicagoGranny has posted, that states the VOCs (off gassing) only happens during the initial first night(s) of using said machine. Some people were using the bacteria filter attachment as a possible solution to stop the foam particles, but recently Philips came forward and stated that the bacteria filters are only for ventilators and not CPAP machines.

Personally, I contacted my physician and we talked about my particular case. He guessed it would probably take a year or so to start replacing or repairing the cpap machines due to about 4 million of them being recalled. His suggestion was "if I felt comfortable, to continue therapy." I did but I also did put feelers out for a Resmed Airsense 10 and I was able to get one. The Dream Station 1 is collecting dust right now.

My question for you: Was your machine covered by insurance? If so how long ago? If it's been less than a year, you may return it to your durable medical equipment provider to get a different machine. Have you had your machine for 5+ years? If so, your insurance company could cover a new one.

Or Did you pay for your machine with cash?
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

Sleeping Thunder

Post by Sleeping Thunder » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:14 am

kbh209 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 pm
To those who got shipping information from Phillips or FedEx, where's your general location? East Coast?
Houston, Texas