Please help interpret data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jyn15

Please help interpret data

Post by jyn15 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm

I'm desperate here, I'm still so exhausted and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been using my machine for almost a year consistently. My AHI was 10.29 for my study and I was titrated at a 6. I wasn't staying consistently under 5 AHI so my doc went up to 8 and then 10. I felt like 10 was definitely too much, I was having pressure in my ears and felt it was harder to exhale. I was also having really bad dry mouth every night likely from the increased pressure but my mouth was also probably open. My AHI also went way up on 10 so it may have been giving me centrals or it was from leakage. My doc isn't very helpful, I told him about the dry mouth and he never mentioned how it could be because my mouth is open, which also negates the therapy anyway. I changed the pressure myself back to 8 and now to 6. My AHIs on 6 and 8 are averaging in the teens.

I finally tried taping my mouth last night and I thought my problem would be solved. My data is from last night, AHI was 16! My doc recommended getting another sleep study to be titrated for BIPAP but I'm not sure if that's necessary. I'm comfortable with the machine and mask and have no problem wearing it or with exhaling on the lower pressures. I also showed no centrals in my original study. What is the next step? Should I try smaller increases in pressure? Would a higher pressure plus taping give me better results? I'm desperate to lower these numbers, it's so frustrating. Hopefully I uploaded the data correctly.
Attachments
screenshot-20210907-141216.png
screenshot-20210907-141216.png (209.02 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

LSAT

Re: Please help interpret data

Post by LSAT » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Increase your minimum pressure to 7 for a few days and then to 8 and see what happens to the AHI. You are not going to bring the AHI down with a min of 6.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:09 pm

Turn off Flex exhale relief.

Get familiar with the videos here and figuring out awake flagged events from asleep flagged events.
Awake/arousal flagged events don't count other than makes us wonder why not sleeping so great.

http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jyn15

Post by jyn15 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Thanks I'll turn off Flex and try 7 tonight, hopefully I can report some improvements soon. Watching the videos now.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:56 pm

If you sleep on your back, those hypopneas won't decrease much - can you stay on your side more often?

jyn15

Post by jyn15 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:47 pm

Julie wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:56 pm
If you sleep on your back, those hypopneas won't decrease much - can you stay on your side more often?
That's a cute kitty! I actually used to be more of a side sleeper before CPAP, I switched to back more because I don't like the mask straps digging into my face. But I'll give it a try.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:28 pm

jyn15 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:47 pm
Julie wrote:
That's a cute kitty! I actually used to be more of a side sleeper before CPAP, I switched to back more because I don't like the mask straps digging into my face. But I'll give it a try.
try padacheek.com for something to wear under the straps to help with that

or if your handy, make something out of old t-shirt fabric.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

jyn15

Post by jyn15 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:19 am

zonker wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:28 pm
jyn15 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:47 pm
Julie wrote:
try padacheek.com for something to wear under the straps to help with that

or if your handy, make something out of old t-shirt fabric.
Wow they have everything, that's great!

jyn15

Post by jyn15 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:26 am

Went down to 12 AHI last night but it also said I had 87% mask leak. I didn't tape last night, but I also feel like sleeping on my side possibly breaks the seal on my nasal pillows sometimes. I do think I heard some air leakage at some point. Taking off the Flex seems to help breathing feel more natural but it may take a couple of days to be fully used to it. I'll stick with these settings for a week or two and see how I do.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:29 am

jyn15 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:26 am
Went down to 12 AHI last night but it also said I had 87% mask leak. I didn't tape last night, but I also feel like sleeping on my side possibly breaks the seal on my nasal pillows sometimes. I do think I heard some air leakage at some point. Taking off the Flex seems to help breathing feel more natural but it may take a couple of days to be fully used to it. I'll stick with these settings for a week or two and see how I do.
do come back and let us know. i have something that may help with the leaks but let's see how you go before i start advising yet another change!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

jyn15

Post by jyn15 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:09 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:29 am
jyn15 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:26 am
do come back and let us know. i have something that may help with the leaks but let's see how you go before i start advising yet another change!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You guys have all the secret tips and tricks, I'm amazed. You should be the ones getting paid, not my sleep doc who has been useless at helping me!

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:27 pm

jyn15 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:09 pm

You guys have all the secret tips and tricks, I'm amazed. You should be the ones getting paid, not my sleep doc who has been useless at helping me!

and you've learned something vital already.

most sleep docs do NOT know how to help their patients. they seem to think that if they have prescribed a cpap machine, then that's the end.

it's really just the beginning.
Last edited by zonker on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:51 pm

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't know, the Philips Dreamstation machines are being recalled due to health problems with the foam inside. There is a lot to read about it on this forum.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

jyn15

Post by jyn15 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:11 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:27 pm
jyn15 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:09 pm

and you've learned something vital already.

most sleep docs do NOT know how to help their patients. they seem to think that if they have prescribed a cpap machine, then that's the end.

it's really just the beginning.
Now I know. I could be feeling a lot better by now and getting better rest. They just leave you to suffer and have to figure things out yourself.

jyn15

Post by jyn15 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Deborah K. wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:51 pm
You probably already know this, but just in case you don't know, the Philips Dreamstation machines are being recalled due to health problems with the foam inside. There is a lot to read about it on this forum.
Fortunately I found out about that right away from the Reddit CPAP sub and registered my machine. I hear some people are randomly getting sent the DreamStation 2 without any notice, so hopefully my replacement comes soon.