Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kbh209

Re: Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by kbh209 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:05 am

the CPAP Review community on Facebook has a few posts stating that people are getting their Dream Station 2s via FedEx from Philips, and a return label inside for DreamStation 1s. Also Philips recently announced the FDA approved that the repairs to old machines. Basically there's no reason or rhyme to what patient get's what. Buckle your seatbelts, it's a bumpy ride for the next year or so.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:36 am

JLROhio wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:36 am
Conrad wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 am
Somewhat related and if this info is already out there I apologize.

When I spoke with the respiratory manager at my DME last week he said that when the recall was first announced, Philips offered DMEs a choice. Either they can have Philips manage the replacement of machines or the DME can manage it. Either Philips will ship the machine directly to the patient and arrange for the return of the recalled machine or the DME will handle the replacement and returns. My DME chose to handle everything. Why did my DME chose the later? According to the manager, "because they care so much"...
This is a data point that I had not read or heard of before....Thank-you for the information.
(Note: While I do occasionally read other websites/YouTube about CPAP stuff - I mainly get most of my info from here)

As to the "they care so much" comment - well, I'll leave that for another topic discussion but maybe you have found that one DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) that actually does actually care about their customers, as well as being a responsible profitable company. So far, it sounds like you're getting great customer service & communication from them.
They are a good company and do actually seem to care. They make it VERY easy to order supplies, I get an email when it's time to replenish and I visit their website to select what I need. The only issue that I've ever really had with them is when one of their reps mistakenly told me that the DreamStation 2 was available in a bipap model.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Conrad wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:36 am
JLROhio wrote:
As to the "they care so much" comment - well, I'll leave that for another topic discussion but maybe you have found that one DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) that actually does actually care about their customers, as well as being a responsible profitable company. So far, it sounds like you're getting great customer service & communication from them.
They are a good company and do actually seem to care. They make it VERY easy to order supplies, I get an email when it's time to replenish
They care about their PROFITS, they care about getting your money.

Proof of that is in their "sending you emails urging you to throw away perfectly good stuff and BUY MORE.

Every one of those things that they tell you "it's time to replenish" are (almost certainly) perfectly good and can be used for much longer than when they can bill insurance/medicare for more stuff and so are prompting you to ORDER MORE!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:41 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:51 pm
Conrad wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:36 am
JLROhio wrote:
They are a good company and do actually seem to care. They make it VERY easy to order supplies, I get an email when it's time to replenish
They care about their PROFITS, they care about getting your money.

Proof of that is in their "sending you emails urging you to throw away perfectly good stuff and BUY MORE.

Every one of those things that they tell you "it's time to replenish" are (almost certainly) perfectly good and can be used for much longer than when they can bill insurance/medicare for more stuff and so are prompting you to ORDER MORE!
Yes, I'm aware of my DME wanting me to replace supplies WAY sooner than they actually need to be replaced. I called them on it a few times over the years and they claim that they are just following the replacement schedule put out by the manufacturer and/or Medicare. I replenish my supplies on my schedule not theirs. I make my supplies last, roughly, twice as long as what the DME would like me to do.

On this subject here's a rant for you. I use the Swift FX nasal pillows and headgear. This product comes to me as a kit, headgear, three sets of pillows (small, medium, and large), and the small tubing that connects the FX to my heated hose. When it's time to reorder supplies the headgear appears as an optional separate aprox $7 item. Even though it comes in the kit. Why would I pay a separate fee for this when it comes in the kit? I don't! I just order the kit and leave the headgear unselected. I asked the DME why they charge separately for the headgear when it comes in the kit? "Because they're allowed to do it". Say what? Exactly.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

CyndiLooWho

Post by CyndiLooWho » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:00 am

JLROhio wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:54 am
palerider wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 pm
Confirmation of what the Cyndiloowho said?
Yes. I'm looking for confirmation (and additional reports) of these new data points that we are reading about.

I believe that in the latest two pages of this 60+ page thread, we have learned some new information that I don't recall reading before...

#1 - Replacement Philips machines are NOW being shipped directly to patients homes.

#2 - Replacement Philips machines are either pre-configured with the patients Rx (or current settings) that Philips is able to pull remotely from the machine or Philips is pushing out the Rx settings to machines once plugged in and connected back to Philips.

#3 - DME's are being offered the choice of either handling the changeout themselves or having Philips handle everything. I'm sure with this option, the DME is thinking from the financial standpoint of how much it's going to cost them, vs if there is any profit in it themselves to be involved in the process.

To finish up - I'm happy to hear that machines are being shipped and that folks are getting replacements.

If the few reports we have read about here are going to be repeated over and over going forward...than it sounds like Philips has gotten the logistics and distribution plan working well (so far).
I'm sure there will be hiccups along the way but since communications has been sparse from Philips thus far, these data points sound promising for our fellow Philips CPAP users.
CyndiLooWho here. I did not actually set up my machine until Sunday (moving a kid...). It was simple, almost too simple. Once I plugged the new machine it, it was good to go. All my settings were there, and it had even switched my primary machine on the Philips App. So mostly seamless. The only settings I could change were ramp time and humidification.

Mini review: I mostly like the machine itself so far. I did have to rearrange my nightstand to make it work best for me. It's going to be a little awkward to deal with the integrated tank, but it's not a deal breaker. The auto ramp is a mixed blessing - no extra button to push at bedtime, but I tend the shut my machine down when I wake up for calls of nature. The hissing of the mask / hose when I'm gone bothers my partner. Dang auto ramp goes right back to work when I come back to bed < 5min later. Bummer. I have only used it one night, and I do not use OSCAR, so that issue is not an issue for me currently.
CPAP since Jan 2021
Respironics Dream Station w/ humidifier
Dreamwear nasal pillows mask
Central KY

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:45 am

Conrad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:41 am
Yes, I'm aware of my DME wanting me to replace supplies WAY sooner than they actually need to be replaced. I called them on it a few times over the years and they claim that they are just following the replacement schedule put out by the manufacturer and/or Medicare.
That is a bold faced lie.
Medicare has no "replacement schedule", Medicare has a minimum replacement frequency, meaning "we won't pay for x any more often than y', greedy DMEs have seized on this and schemed that if they tell people to throw things away as soon as Medicare (and most insurances follow Medicare) then they'll MAKE MORE MONEY. There is no Medicare "replacement schedule".
Conrad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:41 am
On this subject here's a rant for you. I use the Swift FX nasal pillows and headgear. This product comes to me as a kit, headgear, three sets of pillows (small, medium, and large), and the small tubing that connects the FX to my heated hose. When it's time to reorder supplies the headgear appears as an optional separate aprox $7 item. Even though it comes in the kit. Why would I pay a separate fee for this when it comes in the kit? I don't! I just order the kit and leave the headgear unselected. I asked the DME why they charge separately for the headgear when it comes in the kit? "Because they're allowed to do it". Say what? Exactly.
That's why I get all my stuff from Amazon or eBay, because I can get just the bits I need.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:28 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:45 am

That is a bold faced lie.
Medicare has no "replacement schedule", Medicare has a minimum replacement frequency, meaning "we won't pay for x any more often than y', greedy DMEs have seized on this and schemed that if they tell people to throw things away as soon as Medicare (and most insurances follow Medicare) then they'll MAKE MORE MONEY. There is no Medicare "replacement schedule".
It seems the PDF document linked below from HHS refers to it as a 'Replacement Schedule' for Medicare CPAP supplies (Reasonable and Necessary Replacement of CPAP Supplies) which Medicare adheres to and most DME's follow give or take a few items they throw in whether you want them or not.
https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-07-12-00250.pdf

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Please....get back on topic.
Thank you.
I still have my mouse and the delete button or lock button.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

See-Papa

Post by See-Papa » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:03 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:30 pm
See-Papa wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:56 pm
I use Dreamstation. Recently, my motor wore out so I got a refurbished unit. Still a recall unit, but it has new foam at least. This makes sense to me for those of us that need our therapy. Get a refurbished unit to hold you over until you get a replacement and keep it clean properly. My supplier says they have lots of refurbished units.
How did you verify that refurbs have approved foam?

The FDA didn't approve the fix until just a few days ago.
It's still the recalled type of foam. But at least it's new foam. The refurbished unit is still subject to recall. But at least the foam is new. My understanding is that it takes a while for the foam to potentially start to disintegrate. So new foam seems like a good hold over. The refurbished unit works great.

Additional Comments: AirFit F-10 also when I have a cold. Pressure 10 CPAP

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:40 pm

colomom wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:19 pm

My son, mother, and sister in law all have Dreamstations; the only reason any of them are aware of the recall is because I learned about it on this forum and filled them in (neither Phillips, their doctors, or DME’s contacted them). I wonder if the low number of patients registering for the recall is due to the fact the details of the recall has not been communicated to many☹️

I think you're probably right. My husband happened to run into an article about it today. Before this we had no idea. (Of course If I came here more often than I do, we would have found out right when it occurred.) Both of our main machines and our two backups are affected. Registered all of them, and now it's the waiting game. We have no choice but to keep using the affected ones as we can't afford new.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:54 am

See-Papa wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:03 pm
It's still the recalled type of foam. But at least it's new foam. The refurbished unit is still subject to recall. But at least the foam is new. My understanding is that it takes a while for the foam to potentially start to disintegrate. So new foam seems like a good hold over.
----------------------->
Release of volatile organic compounds (VOC) including Dimethyl diazene and Phenol. Evidence suggests these gases dissipate after 24 hours from first ‘out of box’ use.

https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-alerts/n ... slash-mhra

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 am

CPAP.com or Phillips Respironics?????

I purchased my Dreamstation about 15 months ago from CPAP.com. My question is who is handling the shipment of replacement machines under the recall, CPAP.com or Phillips? The reason I ask is Im away from my home attending to family business and unable to know if a replacement machine gets delivered in my absence. Can I expect to be notified of an inbound shipment from the Vendor or Manufacturer?

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:23 am

Aretino wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 am
CPAP.com or Phillips Respironics?????

I purchased my Dreamstation about 15 months ago from CPAP.com. My question is who is handling the shipment of replacement machines under the recall, CPAP.com or Phillips? The reason I ask is Im away from my home attending to family business and unable to know if a replacement machine gets delivered in my absence. Can I expect to be notified of an inbound shipment from the Vendor or Manufacturer?
I can't definitively answer who does the shipping (although I think it's Philips). But I have read of many instances where the new machines just showed up at people's houses without any prior communication about it at all. (Inside the packaging there have been instructions on how to return the affected machine.)

speechless1

Post by speechless1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:56 am

I have a Dreamstation APAP bough 3.5 years ago. I bought from one DME, but ended up switching to another about a year later, because the first company was so very hard to get a hold of when needed. My new DME has never sold me a machine, so I imagine they have no care about my machine at all. The old DME has made no contact in years.

I am really hoping this replacement comes directly from phillips.

On another note, I talked to my insurance today about my options (BCBS TN), and they actually said they would pay for a rental machine until the replacement/ repair happens ! I was told that it would be approved on an override basis (yahoo!) and that they were familiar with the situation. So of course I called my DME to inquire about a rental. The lady actually laughed. Laughed! I don't think she was trying to be rude, but she went on to explain that every available machine they got was immediately given to a purchaser, and they were not processing ANY rentals due to low supplies.

ARGHHH

Sleeping Thunder

Post by Sleeping Thunder » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:39 am

July 2017 - My DreamStation 1 was placed into service.
June 17, 2021 - Registered for the recall.
September 9, 2021 - FedEx just delivered a DreamStation 2 from Philips Respironics.
"The enclosed DreamStation 2 machine is provided to you as a replacement for your existing DreamStation machine. To insure proper disposal of your current machine, please return the affected machine following the instructions below."