Using a CPAP before it's calibrated

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
baycpap

Using a CPAP before it's calibrated

Post by baycpap » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:13 pm

I received a Resmed CPAP machine and it hasn't been calibrated yet. I'll have to wait until the holiday weekend is over before I can get that done somewhere. Does anyone know if there would be any negatives about using the machine without it being calibrated yet? Would it cause damage to the machine, etc, or would it just simply not have the correct pressure?

Dog Slobber

Re: Using a CPAP before it's calibrated

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:16 pm

Modern CPAP machines do not need to be calibrated.

Party lines aren't a thing anymore, either. :)

baycpap

Post by baycpap » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 pm

Those were the distributer's words. I think maybe they meant the pressure settings need to be set correctly. But if they are not, I'm assuming that there would be no harm done to the machine and that the only issue would me not having the proper pressure.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:12 pm

What model machine do you have?
Do you know you can get the "real" manual free, now, from apneaboard.
There is no law against the patient setting his/her own machine.
Especially if it arrives set to factory defaults.

baycpap

Post by baycpap » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:15 pm

Thanks you that info chunkyfrog, I did not know that. I received a ResMed Airsense 10. I'll find the manual online. I'm just overly cautious because I had to send my original machine back to get fixed because I ran the humidifier without water and caused damage and the wait time is very long for the return and or to purchase a new one. I bought a machine from Lofta but its a 6 week wait. I was fortunate enough to buy this machine quickly from a charitable organization. I've been without my machine for only a month and I'm already experiencing extreme fatigue, anxiety and depression. It's been horrible.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:27 pm

baycpap wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:13 pm
I received a Resmed CPAP machine and it hasn't been calibrated yet.
First there are several Resmed models and they all look the same. The model name should be printed on the lower front RH side. Please let us know what that is.
baycpap wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 pm
Those were the distributer's words. I think maybe they meant the pressure settings need to be set correctly.
Normally, the pressures are set by the DME - that is the equipment provider - before the cpap is sent out. So this just seems odd. Who is this DME?

If it were me, I would read the info that comes with it and be eager to try it out. The default pressure setting for these things is 4-20cm. While it won't hurt or kill you it is not ideal for everyone. But as mentioned you can easily adjust to suit your needs. Just be sure to write down all your settings BEFORE making any changes to even one.
Then come back to this thread to post your questions.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:09 am

Is your machine an Airsense 10 Autoset? And do you know what your pressure settings were on your defunct machine?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

baycpap

Post by baycpap » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the useful replies. I found the settings to adjust the pressure, etc. For whatever reason, the supplier made it seem like only a doctor would have access to those settings. Which of course isn't the case as I've found out.

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:46 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:16 pm
Modern CPAP machines do not need to be calibrated.

Party lines aren't a thing anymore, either. :)
Party lines, or Panty lines?? Asking for a friend.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:55 am

baycpap wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:04 pm
For whatever reason, the supplier made it seem like only a doctor would have access to those settings. Which of course isn't the case as I've found out.
They always like to make it sound so mysterious.

In fact, Drs seldom know how to change the pressure or will bother with it.
The Dr creates the "Order" for the DME (supplier) to make the changes in the order. The DME is not supposed to make changes without "Orders" from the doc. That part does not affect YOU - the patient/customer - as you now know.

Take charge of your healthcare - be sure to get a copy of your sleep study results from the lab and a copy of the equipment order from your doc. They will give you important info and when you need them you won't need to stress any delays.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?