Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JLROhio

Re: Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by JLROhio » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:54 pm

CyndiLooWho wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:32 am

****UPDATE****
I talked to my DME and they tell me that the new machine has my settings preloaded on it. I'm to plug it in and wait 4-10 minutes for it to update and then compare to make sure my settings come through. Ramp will be set to 2.0 initially. I won't do that until after the work day is done.
That's very interesting to hear that your prescription settings were pre-loaded on the new machine you rcvd.

But I'm still a bit confused (don't worry - my wife says it's easy to do :lol: )...

You registered with Philips - had never heard from your DME prior to today - and then a new replacement machine shows up.

After speaking with your DME...they tell you that your prescription settings are already pre-loaded into the machine.

Question: Who sent you the machine with the preloaded info in it? Philips or your DME?

It almost sounds like your DME sent it to you, preloaded...this is where I'm confused on understanding who is shipping these.
...which will then lead to my next question (in my mind) as to what is the priority of their replacing machines.

I read here, and on some other website that airline pilot's were getting replaced first...but that doesn't really make sense, since they (Philips) never asked if anyone was a pilot (granted, I hope any pilots who fly any planes I'm on have a ResMed instead! :roll: ) on the registration website (that I know of anyway).

BTW, was your machine new...or did it look refurbished in any way?
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Great questions in the previous post.

Did the shipper reach out to the recipients prior to shipping to confirm the recipients address?

Airline Pilots a priority? That sounds like discrimination.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:40 pm

Aretino wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:48 pm
Except when you're the passenger! :P
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.

--

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Aretino wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:48 pm

seriously? discrimination to have someone who guides hundreds of passengers through the air gets to the head of the line?

where would YOU put them?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:12 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:54 pm
After speaking with your DME...they tell you that your prescription settings are already pre-loaded into the machine.
No, they said to plug in the machine and wait a bit.
CyndiLooWho wrote:
I'm to plug it in and wait 4-10 minutes for it to update and then compare to make sure my settings come through.
Remote setting changes have been a thing for years.

Philips knew what the previous prescription was, through their whatsis online app.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:26 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:12 pm
JLROhio wrote:
CyndiLooWho wrote:
I'm to plug it in and wait 4-10 minutes for it to update and then compare to make sure my settings come through.

Philips knew what the previous prescription was, through their whatsis online app.
I'd like to get confirmation of the above...as I had never read anywhere that, that is what they were going to do.

If so, that's great news for those getting replacement machines that they'll come pre-configured, based upon the machine serial number that was registered and the machine settings the user had.
Last edited by JLROhio on Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:33 pm

palerider wrote:
You bring up an interesting point that would be (or maybe it already has been) a great O/T discussion about the remote accessing/hacking of all of these "connected CPAP's" that have been put out on the market for the past few years.

There is quite a few different areas of concern that I could come up with from screwing with someone's settings, malware that could brick a machine, gathering of all data & storing it (think China - cuz they probably already have it) for some later purpose, botnet, etc...

All right - I'll stop thinking for now of the evil side of all of this...back on topic before Pugsy has to remind us! :)

--

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:26 pm
palerider wrote:
JLROhio wrote:
CyndiLooWho wrote:

I'd like to get confirmation of the above...as I had never read anywhere that, that is what they were going to do.
Confirmation of what the Cyndiloowho said?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 am

JLROhio wrote:
CyndiLooWho wrote:

****UPDATE****
I talked to my DME and they tell me that the new machine has my settings preloaded on it. I'm to plug it in and wait 4-10 minutes for it to update and then compare to make sure my settings come through. Ramp will be set to 2.0 initially. I won't do that until after the work day is done.
That's very interesting to hear that your prescription settings were pre-loaded on the new machine you rcvd.

But I'm still a bit confused (don't worry - my wife says it's easy to do :lol: )...

You registered with Philips - had never heard from your DME prior to today - and then a new replacement machine shows up.

Question: Who sent you the machine with the preloaded info in it? Philips or your DME?

It almost sounds like your DME sent it to you, preloaded...this is where I'm confused on understanding who is shipping these.
...which will then lead to my next question (in my mind) as to what is the priority of their replacing machines.

I read here, and on some other website that airline pilot's were getting replaced first...but that doesn't really make sense, since they (Philips) never asked if anyone was a pilot (granted, I hope any pilots who fly any planes I'm on have a ResMed instead! :roll: ) on the registration website (that I know of anyway).

BTW, was your machine new...or did it look refurbished in any way?
Somewhat related and if this info is already out there I apologize.

When I spoke with the respiratory manager at my DME last week he said that when the recall was first announced, Philips offered DMEs a choice. Either they can have Philips manage the replacement of machines or the DME can manage it. Either Philips will ship the machine directly to the patient and arrange for the return of the recalled machine or the DME will handle the replacement and returns. My DME chose to handle everything. Why did my DME chose the later? According to the manager, "because they care so much"...
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:39 am

Deffinition of a DME please.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:42 am

Conrad wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 am
. . .
"because they care so much"...
:lol:

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:53 am

Aretino wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:39 am
Deffinition of a DME please.
Durable Medical Equipment supplier.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:32 am

I purchased my Dreamstation from CPAP.com direct in May of 2020. CPAP.com communictaes with me via email with general recall data. Has anyone who uses or has used CPAP.com been given user specific information on replacement Dreamstation machines?

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:36 am

Conrad wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 am
Somewhat related and if this info is already out there I apologize.

When I spoke with the respiratory manager at my DME last week he said that when the recall was first announced, Philips offered DMEs a choice. Either they can have Philips manage the replacement of machines or the DME can manage it. Either Philips will ship the machine directly to the patient and arrange for the return of the recalled machine or the DME will handle the replacement and returns. My DME chose to handle everything. Why did my DME chose the later? According to the manager, "because they care so much"...
This is a data point that I had not read or heard of before....Thank-you for the information.
(Note: While I do occasionally read other websites/YouTube about CPAP stuff - I mainly get most of my info from here)

As to the "they care so much" comment - well, I'll leave that for another topic discussion but maybe you have found that one DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) that actually does actually care about their customers, as well as being a responsible profitable company. So far, it sounds like you're getting great customer service & communication from them.

--

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:54 am

palerider wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 pm
Confirmation of what the Cyndiloowho said?
Yes. I'm looking for confirmation (and additional reports) of these new data points that we are reading about.

I believe that in the latest two pages of this 60+ page thread, we have learned some new information that I don't recall reading before...

#1 - Replacement Philips machines are NOW being shipped directly to patients homes.

#2 - Replacement Philips machines are either pre-configured with the patients Rx (or current settings) that Philips is able to pull remotely from the machine or Philips is pushing out the Rx settings to machines once plugged in and connected back to Philips.

#3 - DME's are being offered the choice of either handling the changeout themselves or having Philips handle everything. I'm sure with this option, the DME is thinking from the financial standpoint of how much it's going to cost them, vs if there is any profit in it themselves to be involved in the process.

To finish up - I'm happy to hear that machines are being shipped and that folks are getting replacements.

If the few reports we have read about here are going to be repeated over and over going forward...than it sounds like Philips has gotten the logistics and distribution plan working well (so far).
I'm sure there will be hiccups along the way but since communications has been sparse from Philips thus far, these data points sound promising for our fellow Philips CPAP users.

--