Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Deborah K.

Re: Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:44 pm

smurfyabs wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:34 pm
I filled out the recall online a month or so ago, whenever it was that it was finally up. Today, my husband and I both received brand new DS2 machines with humidifiers. Our DS1 were still being paid on by insurance and our DME didn't want anything to do with the recall. The new machines included labels to send the old ones back for disposal. I will call my DME tomorrow just to make sure there won't be any issue with that since the old ones weren't paid off yet. Hopefully the DS2 doesn't end up with any similar issues. They're smaller and quieter. Nice upgrade. I am bummed that the filters aren't the same size though because I had a ton of those.
WOW! I'm so happy for you! How old were your prior machines? I'm trying to figure whether they are replacing newer or older machines first.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Petrodon

Post by Petrodon » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Just got my letter today, turns out my PR System One is an affected model. I'm concerned that their solution will be to have me send in my machine, and this seems like a lipstick on a pig type solution, plus I need to get a new machine. They really dropped the ball on this. My machine is from 2014. I wonder what they will do?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:35 pm

Conrad wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:16 am
There has to be another way to abate the sound without foam being in the breathing path.
What do you suggest? more hard plastic?

If that worked, they wouldn't spend the extra penny for the foam.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:36 pm

Petrodon wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Just got my letter today, turns out my PR System One is an affected model.
*ALL* of the System One units are affected.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:33 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:17 am
Conrad wrote:
So instead of the lovely black foam in our machines we'll have white foam instead.
The problem isn't the colour of the foam, the problem is the previous DS foam measured levels of VOC beyond what was considered safe and was prone to degrading. The new foam does not have those same properties.

Try to keep up.
Thanks SO much for the info. Do you really believe that I think that the color of the foam is the only consideration here? Have you seen the online vids of how easy the new WHITE foam pulls apart as compared to the BLACK foam?

Try to keep up.

"The new foam does not have those same properties."

Says Philips and, apparently, so does the FDA. But wait, who was it that oked the use of the old foam formulation?

You can feel free to trust and use Philips machines if you like, since you seem to be trusting of the new foam formulation. I've lost all trust in Philips and their respiratory equipment. They make a great toothbrush though!
Last edited by Conrad on Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:42 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:35 pm
Conrad wrote:
There has to be another way to abate the sound without foam being in the breathing path.
What do you suggest? more hard plastic?

If that worked, they wouldn't spend the extra penny for the foam.
What do I suggest? If I was an acoustic engineer I'm sure that I would have some real world suggestions. Alas, I'm not an acoustic engineer but a retired electrical engineer instead.

Off the top of my untrained head I'd say what about tuned resonance chambers to reduce the sound? What about the tech that's used in electronic noise cancellation, such as what's used in noise cancelling headphone? Yes, I understand this would increase the price of these machines but I'd rather pay more than breathe in VOCs and bits of foam, no matter the color.

How do other companies reduce the sound of their machines without placing foam in the air path?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:47 am

Conrad wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:33 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Conrad wrote:
So instead of the lovely black foam in our machines we'll have white foam instead.
The problem isn't the colour of the foam, the problem is the previous DS foam measured levels of VOC beyond what was considered safe and was prone to degrading. The new foam does not have those same properties.

Try to keep up.
Thanks SO much for the info. Do you really believe that I think that the color of the foam is the only consideration here? Have you seen the online vids of how easy the new WHITE foam pulls apart as compared to the BLACK foam? Try to keep up.

Says Philips and, apparently, so does the FDA. But wait, who was it that oked the use of the old foam formulation?

You can feel free to trust and use Philips machines if you like, since you seem to be trusting of the new foam formulation. I've lost all trust in Philips and their respiratory equipment. They make a great toothbrush though!
How easily one can can tear apart foam has nothing to do with it's VOCs or how it breaks down through typical use.

And no, I don't have any idea whether you think the *ONLY* difference is the colour, but I do know that the alarmist and idiotic comment you made suggesting the only real difference is the colour is pretty compelling evidence you don't have a clue what your talking about.

Right now, there is a huge flashlight being shone on Philips and all CPAP manufacturers and their foam. You can be damned sure that none of them are going to be forging results and materials.

Take your addle minded crap over to conspiracy sites, it's not welcome here.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:55 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:47 am
Conrad wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:33 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Conrad wrote:

Try to keep up.
Thanks SO much for the info. Do you really believe that I think that the color of the foam is the only consideration here? Have you seen the online vids of how easy the new WHITE foam pulls apart as compared to the BLACK foam? Try to keep up.

How easily one can can tear apart foam has nothing to do with it's VOCs or how it breaks down through typical use.

And no, I don't have any idea whether you think the *ONLY* difference is the colour, but I do know that the alarmist and idiotic comment you made suggesting the only real difference is the colour is pretty compelling evidence you don't have a clue what your talking about.

Right now, there is a huge flashlight being shone on Philips and all CPAP manufacturers and their foam. You can be damned sure that none of them are going to be forging results and materials.

Take your addle minded crap over to conspiracy sites, it's not welcome here.
Since I don't have a clue what I'm taking about I'm SO VERY thankful that I have someone like you to help set me straight. Thank you so much for that!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:04 am

Sigh....

ask yourself if the bickering and pissing contests are really helpful or not.

Once again....please get back on topic and take the personal shit throwing private if you just have to throw it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CyndiLooWho

Post by CyndiLooWho » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Just wanted to add that I also received a new DreamStation 2 today as a recall replacement for my 6 month old DreamStation. I was SHOCKED, esp since I saw my pulmonologist last week and he said he was hearing 2 months to get a CPAP for newly prescribed patients. I was expecting maybe early 2022 based on everything I've read.

Will have to call my provider tomorrow, as my current machine is still being paid by insurance, and see how to transfer the new machine before I send the old one back.

I have to say, I am super pleased at the size of the new machine. Had been planning to put part of my year end bonus towards a travel CPAP; now I don't think I'll have to do that.
CPAP since Jan 2021
Respironics Dream Station w/ humidifier
Dreamwear nasal pillows mask
Central KY

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:11 pm

CyndiLooWho wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Just wanted to add that I also received a new DreamStation 2 today as a recall replacement for my 6 month old DreamStation. I was SHOCKED, esp since I saw my pulmonologist last week and he said he was hearing 2 months to get a CPAP for newly prescribed patients. I was expecting maybe early 2022 based on everything I've read.

Will have to call my provider tomorrow, as my current machine is still being paid by insurance, and see how to transfer the new machine before I send the old one back.

I have to say, I am super pleased at the size of the new machine. Had been planning to put part of my year end bonus towards a travel CPAP; now I don't think I'll have to do that.

I asked this of someone else who rcvd a new machine...and rcvd no response...so I'll try again:

...how is Philips ensuring that you know how to set up your new machine, using the same settings that was on your original prescription or original DS1 machine?
Did they provide instructions on how to do this?

If so, could you please provide a pic of the instructions they may have sent you?
Inquiring Minds would like to know.
Attachments
Inquiring Minds.jpg
Inquiring Minds.jpg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

CyndiLooWho

Post by CyndiLooWho » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:32 am

JLROhio wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:11 pm
CyndiLooWho wrote:

I asked this of someone else who rcvd a new machine...and rcvd no response...so I'll try again:

...how is Philips ensuring that you know how to set up your new machine, using the same settings that was on your original prescription or original DS1 machine?
Did they provide instructions on how to do this?

If so, could you please provide a pic of the instructions they may have sent you?
Inquiring Minds would like to know.
I have not read through anything that came with the new machine - will have my DME do the setup since mine is still being paid for by insurance. That's going to be an interesting call; the DME has still not reached out to let me know it was recalled in the first place. I filled out the Philips forms online for myself. I am sure they will be upset with me going around whatever procedure they have not yet communicated to me.

****UPDATE****
I talked to my DME and they tell me that the new machine has my settings preloaded on it. I'm to plug it in and wait 4-10 minutes for it to update and then compare to make sure my settings come through. Ramp will be set to 2.0 initially. I won't do that until after the work day is done.
CPAP since Jan 2021
Respironics Dream Station w/ humidifier
Dreamwear nasal pillows mask
Central KY

See-Papa

Post by See-Papa » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:56 pm

I use Dreamstation. Recently, my motor wore out so I got a refurbished unit. Still a recall unit, but it has new foam at least. This makes sense to me for those of us that need our therapy. Get a refurbished unit to hold you over until you get a replacement and keep it clean properly. My supplier says they have lots of refurbished units.

Additional Comments: AirFit F-10 also when I have a cold. Pressure 10 CPAP

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:30 pm

See-Papa wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:56 pm
I use Dreamstation. Recently, my motor wore out so I got a refurbished unit. Still a recall unit, but it has new foam at least. This makes sense to me for those of us that need our therapy. Get a refurbished unit to hold you over until you get a replacement and keep it clean properly. My supplier says they have lots of refurbished units.
How did you verify that refurbs have approved foam?

The FDA didn't approve the fix until just a few days ago.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:34 pm

CyndiLooWho wrote:

Yay! It's great to see that at least some folks are getting their replacement machines already. :D
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system