Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:33 pm

Of course, Respironics will be responsible for reimbursement to the DME,
---eventually . . . --regardless of who makes the replacement machine.
It will sting both parties--but karma kicks dirty butt.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 am

john.michael wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am
I have not yet read every message in this thread, so I apologize if this was mentioned already:

My doctor told me today that there is an estimated 0.3% of the recalled machines that actually have the issue.
His recommendation was since I have never used an ozone or other cleaning device and have had zero signs of black residue that I continue treatment with the recalled machine until I replace it. In my case, the replacement is very soon, but he said he would make this same recommendation even if I needed to wait months for a different machine.

He also said he was not comfortable using the actual words in his mind to express his level of frustration with the way this recall is being handled.
From my understanding the 0.3% is the reported number of folks having issues because of the problems with the machines. The REPORTED number. How many are having issues that go unreported? Or people having issues and they have no idea that their CPAPs are causing their issues?

Last week I visited my sleep doc to discuss the recall. His recommendation was to discontinue the use of my machine until more is known.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

MaskingtheNightAway

Post by MaskingtheNightAway » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:00 pm

I began using a system One Machine in 2012. That machine got noisy, so I replaced it with another one in 2015. In 2019, I had swelling and puffiness in my left jaw. Turned out to be Salivary Gland Cancer. I found many research articles investigating links between CPAP use and Salivary Gland Cancer. Now it seems possible that there are contamination, chemicals, and off-gassing issues besides just normal use of the machines.

Been dealing with the cancer for over 2 years now, but this puts a whole new spin on the situation.

I only checked the SERIAL NUMBER because we got a notice from Medicare with the link for checking. I got a new CPAP in 2020 and have not used the System One since then. But all in all, I used one of those machines for over 7 years. This is very troubling for me!

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:08 am

MaskingtheNightAway wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:00 pm
I found many research articles investigating links between CPAP use and Salivary Gland Cancer.
I'm sorry for you if you really have cancer, but there is no link established between CPAP and salivary gland cancer.

Provide the links to those "many research articles"!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:00 am

Hang Fire wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:08 am
MaskingtheNightAway wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:00 pm
I found many research articles investigating links between CPAP use and Salivary Gland Cancer.
I'm sorry for you if you really have cancer, but there is no link established between CPAP and salivary gland cancer.

Provide the links to those "many research articles"!
With enough searching on the internet, you can prove any crackpot theory.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:48 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/CPAP/comments/ ... et_a_cpap/

Reports of those who registered early with high risk jobs (pilots) are now receiving DS2s as replacement units.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:12 am

GrumpyHere wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:48 am
https://www.reddit.com/r/CPAP/comments/ ... et_a_cpap/

Reports of those who registered early with high risk jobs (pilots) are now receiving DS2s as replacement units.
I registered as soon as I found out about the recall, early July.

Being retired I certainly do not have a high risk job nor was the job that I retired from high risk. Yet I received a notice from my DME that they received "a handful" of DS2s from Philips and would replace my Dreamstation with one of these if I wanted it. Since I need a bipap and after speaking with my sleep doc, I declined the offer.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:32 am

Just a small part of the bigger picture, but it will be interesting who will bear the responsibility and cost for recycling/disposal of many CPAP's that will get replaced. My own preference if I don't switch over to a Resmed would be to have the blower housing replaced in my DS1 rather than to replace it with a DS2. Not too keen on the DS2 design with the hose straight out the front of the machine.

smurfyabs

Post by smurfyabs » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:34 pm

I filled out the recall online a month or so ago, whenever it was that it was finally up. Today, my husband and I both received brand new DS2 machines with humidifiers. Our DS1 were still being paid on by insurance and our DME didn't want anything to do with the recall. The new machines included labels to send the old ones back for disposal. I will call my DME tomorrow just to make sure there won't be any issue with that since the old ones weren't paid off yet. Hopefully the DS2 doesn't end up with any similar issues. They're smaller and quieter. Nice upgrade. I am bummed that the filters aren't the same size though because I had a ton of those.

amenite

Post by amenite » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:54 pm

smurfyabs wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:34 pm
I filled out the recall online a month or so ago, whenever it was that it was finally up. Today, my husband and I both received brand new DS2 machines with humidifiers. Our DS1 were still being paid on by insurance and our DME didn't want anything to do with the recall. The new machines included labels to send the old ones back for disposal. I will call my DME tomorrow just to make sure there won't be any issue with that since the old ones weren't paid off yet.
Get it in writing whatever their policy is. I would not even waste time calling them. Certified mail.

amenite

Post by amenite » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:32 am
Just a small part of the bigger picture, but it will be interesting who will bear the responsibility and cost for recycling/disposal of many CPAP's that will get replaced.
The few reports to date of replacements also report prepaid shipping label is provided for the recalled unit. I think we already have our answer.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:00 pm

smurfyabs wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:34 pm
I filled out the recall online a month or so ago, whenever it was that it was finally up. Today, my husband and I both received brand new DS2 machines with humidifiers. Our DS1 were still being paid on by insurance and our DME didn't want anything to do with the recall. The new machines included labels to send the old ones back for disposal. I will call my DME tomorrow just to make sure there won't be any issue with that since the old ones weren't paid off yet. Hopefully the DS2 doesn't end up with any similar issues. They're smaller and quieter. Nice upgrade. I am bummed that the filters aren't the same size though because I had a ton of those.
I think someone else asked...

But how is Philips ensuring that you know how to set up your new machine, using the same settings that was on your original prescription or original DS1 machine?
Did they provide instructions on how to do this?

If so, could you please provide a pic of the instructions they may have sent you?

EDIT:
I'm wondering, since Philips has the SN of the machine, can they tap into their own network and pull settings, apply them to a new machine and then ship them out all set up?? ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

SleepyCPAP

Post by SleepyCPAP » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:06 am

I woke up and just saw the news that Philips is starting the recall/repair process this month, since FDA has approved:
https://www.reuters.com/article/philips ... SL1N2Q30DS

-- SleepyCPAP
Sleep study in 2010 (11cm CPAP). Pillows (Swift FX>TAP PAP >Bleep). PRS1 “Pro” 450/460 until recall, now Aircurve 10 VAuto. Tape mouth. Palatal Prolapse solved by AlaxoStent & VAuto EPAP 4cm, PS 3.6cm = 0.0 AHI

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:16 am

SleepyCPAP wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:06 am
I woke up and just saw the news that Philips is starting the recall/repair process this month, since FDA has approved:
https://www.reuters.com/article/philips ... SL1N2Q30DS
Philips may be replacing cpaps with the DS2 but what about us folks who need a bipap? From my research Philips isn't even working on a bipap model yet (this is according to a Philips rep) so it make be a LONG time before we get some satisfaction.

In speaking with the manager of my DME he seemed to think that Philips will use the DS2 as a replacement for people who use a cpap and will be repairing the machines of people who use a bipap. So instead of the lovely black foam in our machines we'll have white foam instead.

The foam is STILL in the path of the air that we breathe!!! There has to be another way to abate the sound without foam being in the breathing path.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:17 am

Conrad wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:16 am
So instead of the lovely black foam in our machines we'll have white foam instead.
The problem isn't the colour of the foam, the problem is the previous DS foam measured levels of VOC beyond what was considered safe and was prone to degrading. The new foam does not have those same properties.

Try to keep up.