Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
colomom

Re: Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by colomom » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:19 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm
You might be surprised. Early reports said not many are registering for the recall.
My son, mother, and sister in law all have Dreamstations; the only reason any of them are aware of the recall is because I learned about it on this forum and filled them in (neither Phillips, their doctors, or DME’s contacted them). I wonder if the low number of patients registering for the recall is due to the fact the details of the recall has not been communicated to many☹️

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:48 pm

If you watch the Grit channel on TV for all the old western movies the lawyers are on that channel hawking the recall and anything else in your body that has a law suit pending.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:20 am

colomom wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:19 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm
You might be surprised. Early reports said not many are registering for the recall.
My son, mother, and sister in law all have Dreamstations; the only reason any of them are aware of the recall is because I learned about it on this forum and filled them in (neither Phillips, their doctors, or DME’s contacted them). I wonder if the low number of patients registering for the recall is due to the fact the details of the recall has not been communicated to many☹️
I have two Phillips machines, the newer machine is a Dreamstation. Both are involved in the recall. I used the older machine for over 8 years and the newer for just over a year. Both machines were registered with Phillips when they were put into service. I've used the same DME the entire time.

One would think that I would receive some sort of notice about the recall, either from Phillips, my DME, or my doctor, right? Wrong!

How did I find out about the recall? I subscribe to a Class Action Lawsuit newsletter. https://www.classaction.org/ This newsletter talks about different cases around the country. This is how I found out about the Phillips recall.

I called my DME, who I've been getting my stuff from for over 10 years, and asked why I wasn't informed about the recall. After some hemming and hawing, 'we are working our way down the list of patients' for notification. Since June? Must be a crap ton of patients!!! I'm still waiting for their 'official' notification...
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:07 am

Not informing consumers is almost as bad as putting out the
poisonous product in the first place.
But then, why would we expect more from philips-respironics?

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Tonight I decided to look in my spam/junk email folder. the mail application puts certain messages directly to the junk folder without me ever seeing the emails unless I check the folder.

I saw that I received an email from Philips on Aug 21 for the devices I registered -

This is what the email said:

Thank you again for taking the time to register your device, ensuring that your information is in our system.

As a reminder, your confirmation number is: *confirmation number is deleted by me for this post*

Currently, we are processing the device serial number registrations that have been received and are actively working with global competent authorities on the remediation process. Our organization is working diligently to replace or repair devices as soon as possible. Based on current estimates of impacted devices worldwide, we are working towards completing this effort within approximately 12 months.

You will receive updates about what you can expect on a regular basis. In the meantime, please speak to your doctor concerning your therapy options. This is an important step as every patient scenario can vary and we respect the relationship between you and your physician regarding your personalized care.

Please visit Philips.com/src-update for more information and continued updates, including the latest answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs).

Our commitment to patient care is at the heart of everything we do. We sincerely apologize for this disruption and are dedicated to supporting you throughout this process.

Thank you.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:56 am

beautifuldreamer wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 pm
"Our commitment to patient care is at the heart of everything we do. We sincerely apologize for this disruption and are dedicated to supporting you throughout this process. ."
What a blatant lie.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:42 am

I wonder how many know about the recall, but are are not registering
because they are opting for a machine from a less devious company.
---Even if they have to go out of pocket for it.

Priorities: "Without health, you have nothing."

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am

I have not yet read every message in this thread, so I apologize if this was mentioned already:

My doctor told me today that there is an estimated 0.3% of the recalled machines that actually have the issue.
His recommendation was since I have never used an ozone or other cleaning device and have had zero signs of black residue that I continue treatment with the recalled machine until I replace it. In my case, the replacement is very soon, but he said he would make this same recommendation even if I needed to wait months for a different machine.

He also said he was not comfortable using the actual words in his mind to express his level of frustration with the way this recall is being handled.

Machine - ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:57 am

john.michael wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am
His recommendation was since I have never used an ozone or other cleaning device and have had zero signs of black residue that I continue treatment with the recalled machine until I replace it. In my case, the replacement is very soon, but he said he would make this same recommendation even if I needed to wait months for a different machine.
Cool doctor. He understands relative risk. If everyone did, there would not be so many Chicken Littles losing their minds.

ChicagoGranny

Email from Medicare Dated 8/25/2021

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:59 am

Medicare dot gov logo
Recall alert for certain Philips medical devices
Philips recently issued a product recall for specific ventilators and sleep apnea devices.

If you own or rent one of the Philips products that was recalled, talk to your doctor as soon as possible about whether to continue using your recalled equipment.

More Info
If you would like to replace or repair your equipment, the supplier you bought the equipment from is responsible for replacing or repairing rental equipment at no cost to you when the equipment is less than 5 years old. If the equipment is more than 5 years old, Medicare will help pay for a replacement.

Important: Register your recalled equipment with Philips so they know you need a replacement, and can provide information on the next steps for a permanent corrective solution.

To register your equipment:

Visit philips.com/src-update, or
Call 1-877-907-7508

Sincerely,

The Medicare Team

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:05 pm

Here's the official email from Medicare ChicagoGranny is referring to.....

Attachments
medicare recall.jpg
medicare recall.jpg (115.69 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Last edited by Grumpy48 on Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:09 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:05 pm
Here's the office email from Medicare ChicagoGranny is referring to.....
Well, dang, just load the cpaptalk server up with unnecessary graphics.

J/K :lol: :lol:

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:56 pm

don't get excited about that letter from Medicare.

American Med in Stockton, California: Resmed told them they're focused on manufacturing ventilators only for COVID-19. They've cancelled their CPAP/APAP/BiPap orders with American Med.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:08 pm

kbh209 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:56 pm

American Med in Stockton, California: Resmed told them they're focused on manufacturing ventilators only for COVID-19. They've cancelled their CPAP/APAP/BiPap orders with American Med.
So just don't order from American Med.
It appears that other suppliers are not being fed that line.

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:08 pm
kbh209 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:56 pm

So just don't order from American Med.
It appears that other suppliers are not being fed that line.
I'm limited in options due to being on both Medicare and Medicaid. My only other option would be Crapria and I'm not going down that route.
American Med is locally owned DME, not perfect but in the past the customer service has been excellent. Whether what they told me that Resmed is true or poppycock, that's up for discussion. More than likely they are not happy with Medicare stating in the letter that the DMEs are responsible to replace the machine at no cost.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **