OT:::::Airbreak: Airsense S10 firmware hack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Neo2020

Re: OT:::::Airbreak: Airsense S10 firmware hack

Post by Neo2020 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm

MaxPressure wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:01 am
Very interesting Thread.

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AUTOSET, and I was pleased to see that it has Firmware SX567-0401.

Don't worry, I'm not about to rat up my main machine. However, as I have to run mine in CPAP Mode at the 20 cm maximum, I'm interested in getting another S10 and seeing if I can unlock the Firmware to enable VAUTO features, specifically the option to take the Pressure up to 25 cm.

I appreciate that another S10 may not have the same Firmware, so I was thinking I may be able to Extract the Firmware from my own S10, without actually then Flashing it, and then use that copy to then Modify and then Flash to the other S10. I'm not sure if that's feasible from reading the Airbreak web site, but looks like it could be.

I know I need to obtain the ST-LINK/V2 and TC2050-IDC Kit to do this, and I have plenty of Windows machines that I can use as the machine to do the dirty deed with.

My own S10 is, basically, on the limit of what it can do as currently configured with the Stock SX567-0401 Firmware, so there is no Reserve Pressure if I get into a poor sleeping position, or if my ResMed F20 Mask springs a leak. When that happens, I am back into Apnoeas, albeit not usually that bad because the S10 is usually at least still pumping something to help keep things the right side of tears.

My aim in exploring the Airbreak tweak, is to then go back to variable Pressure, say, 15 to 25, and let an Airbreak S10 set to Vauto specs, adjust Pressure in the hope of working out what my Working Pressure might actually be. I suspect it may be 21 cm or thereabouts.

I'm in the UK, and my own S10 is via the NHS. Technically it is now mine to do with as I wish, the Respiratory Consultant said as much last visit because he is not ever expecting it back but, that said, I will keep it standard and will instead aim to fiddle with another S10 machine that I can afford (from a clinical perspective) to Brick if that should happen.

I do use OSCAR, and have a reasonable grasp of the issues, and so am pretty confident that, in an ideal world, I should really have been issued with a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto to give me the Pressure reserve over the key 20 cm that seems to work fine for me. But as I now manage my Sleep Apnoea "incredibly well", and my API is usually now between 0.0 and 2.0 most nights, the chances of me persuading the NHS to let me have a more capable machine is effectively zero.

I had enough trouble just getting the NHS to look at the Sleep Test Data. When they did, someone woke up and said that I had "exceptionally severe Sleep Apnoea" and I was handed an S10 more or less the same day that my Sleep Data was looked at!

So, keeping this to Airbreak, my plan at the moment is to source the above Kit, then find a good, probably pre-used S10, and then see if I can extract the SX567-0401 Firmware from my own NHS S10, and then edit a copy of that, before Flashing it to the Test S10 Unit. Then try to configure that S10 to VAuto Mode, and see what I can then achieve in terms of exploring my own Pressure needs.

If this is of any interest, I will Post my progress to this Thread. It may take a few weeks, as I have yet to source the Kit, let alone locate a well priced Test S10 Unit. However, the Kit should be with me within 7-10 Days, and I have a possible contact who can obtain a low hours pre-used S10 to Test this with.

MaxPressure
Looks like Maxpressure never came back to tell how he went. I can pick up a cheap airsense and wanted to turn it into a vauto for some fun. Can get the interface leads and from what I understand will need a machine with firmware SX567-0401 or higher . Just putting it out there and seeing if someone has tried or may just go ahead. Can always resell machine later lol
Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV spare with nasal mask and F&P Vitera full face mask

HDCowboy

Post by HDCowboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Interesting, almost makes me want to but a Airsense 10 just to test it, but I already have 2 Aircurve 10 V-auto's so I see no reason. Another thing I noticed that looked interesting is the Pin-Outs on the programmer looked the same as those on my Rasberry Pi , I wonder if the is a program to covert the Raspberry Pi into a programmer for the machine. The commands sound awful Linux like, same as the software I have loaded on my Rasberry Pi.
Last edited by HDCowboy on Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed AirCurve 10 V-Auto / ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:28 pm

Chortle, chortle. The mad scientists at work.
Kudos to you all.

Waschbär

Post by Waschbär » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:14 am

MaxPressure wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:01 am
Very interesting Thread.
(...)
MaxPressure
Hi MaxPressure,

I am interested in this topic, too.
What is the status of your project?

Regards
Waschbär

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:46 am

MaxPressure has not been on here since March--not posted since February, 2021.
You can try to PM him . . .

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:13 am

Waschbär wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:14 am
Contrary to claims at airbreak.dev, modding the firmware does not fully enable the modes of higher end machines

Not all the required settings fields are enabled. So it's not usable.

See https://github.com/osresearch/airbreak/issues/42

The project has been abandoned. The last update was back in 2020.

Unless ResMed has decided to case Aircurve 10 VAuto in black, one consequence of this project are counterfeit VAutos.

I found what appears to be AirSense 10 CPAPs flashed with AirCurve 10 VAuto firmware, a badge glued on, and being sold as VAutos.

size.jpeg
size (1).jpeg
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:15 pm

Update:

Per Gideon over at ApneaBoard, VAutos are now in black.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... #pid415595

RE: Counterfeit Aircurve Vautos
information on ResMed
Dear Godeon

Here is the name I received from our ResMed rep:

"The AirCurve 11 units are not out yet. We have no eta on when they are going to come out, and I’ve not seen an image of them.
Some of the recent VAutos were made with a black shell recently. This was due to the lack of raw materials (plastics) to make the unit. However, it’s an AirCurve 10 VAuto all the same."

I hope this helps answer your query!

*******************""**************************
I mentioned this to my sleep doctor who contacted her ResMed rep an the above is the reply
Gideon - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter

ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

GoodNightRestGuy

Re: Airbreak.dev has released instructions on how to jailbreak Airsense 10 CPAP

Post by GoodNightRestGuy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:01 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:22 am
Hexus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 pm
Ok I posted a comment on the thread. I would LOVE to be able to jailbreak my device but am not quite sure how to go about doing it. There is a risk to bricking the device so I would like to see the community get some more information and experience with this firmware.
Hexus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:48 pm
I have a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (APAP). Will I be able to flash the firmware on my device? I am a bit of a noob and the technical language is a bit much as I do not know programming or electronic flashing devices pretty much at all. I am awaiting for the Windows instructions.

What would you say is the toughest part jailbreaking the CPAP device is? How did you contribute? Thanks!
This is not a software only upgrade like "jail breaking" phones.

It requires having a circuit programmer and interface:
ST-Link/V2 programmer
TC2050-IDC Interface
Hi, do you know if I can use Segger J-Link instead of ST-Link/V2 programmer? Or is Airbreak compatible with ST-Link only?