Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
restoresleep

Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by restoresleep » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:37 pm

I previously posted about two noise issues but am creating a new thread as I wanted to focus just on what would be viewed as normal noise from a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet machine.

I began APAP in January and it has been life changing. However, I feel plagued by noise issues from these machines and have summarised this experience below. Each of these machines was brand new when I got them directly from ResMed and the recordings sound most accurate when listened to on a mobile phone (PC speakers seem to dampen the noise): The noise from Machine #5 really travels up the tube and into the mask and makes it hard to get to sleep or stay asleep even when I wear ear plugs.

The first 500 hours of Machine #1 was an absolute delight as that machine was virtually silent and my wife could sleep without ear plugs. However she is getting really frustrated with her sleep being disrupted by these noises so we visited ResMed together and met the most helpful and patient nurse you could meet. She let me try four or five new machines and each one either had a whistling noise on the in-breath or sounded like Darth Vader. We ended up going with an older reconditioned machine (Machine #5), however after just 5 days of using that machine the whistling and whirring-type noise started.

I'm getting really dejected by these noises; they occur with and without the humidifier attached and no matter how many times I check to make sure the hose is properly seated. I keep reading how people say these machines should be virtually silent, but I'd love to know what virtually silent actually sounds like from others who have these machines. Could anyone who has one of these machines and feels theirs is virtually silent record the sound theirs makes and post it up for comparison?

I'm conscious that different devices may record sounds differently. I recorded each of my sounds using an iPhone at a distance of at least 6 inches from the left side (air intake / filter side) of the machine if it helps at all with maybe holding your device in roughly the same position.

palerider

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:20 pm

Mine makes no noise that can be heard in a quiet room by someone of above average (recently tested) hearing.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Re: Getting really frustrated by noise issues: What does your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet Sound Like

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 pm

My machine is so silent that my husband can't even hear it at all. In fact he tells me he wakes often during the night and wonders if I even have it on because things are so silent.

Currently using the VAuto which even has a more dramatic change betweeen inhale and exhale.
The AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her model that I was using prior to the VAuto...silent as well.
I only changed because I wanted more PS...the for her autoset is my back up machine.

I hear nothing from the machine at all. Hubby hears nothing...
Sometimes I might hear some breathing sounds but that is rare and related to usually my respiration. Once I slow it down a bit the breathing sounds fade away.

BTW I need to check the run hours on my current machine but last I looked it was pushing 3,000 I think it was.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

restoresleep

Post by restoresleep » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:01 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:20 pm
Mine makes no noise that can be heard in a quiet room by someone of above average (recently tested) hearing.
Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 pm
The AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her model that I was using prior to the VAuto...silent as well.
Thanks for the replies.

So just to check that even when you breath in and out the machine makes no whooshing noises? So no noise even resembling the noise that machine #5 is making from my recording?

I'm really just trying to feel that I'm right to keep going back to ResMed about these noises - probably because my sleep is getting disrupted by the noises I'm feeling a little tired from contacting them repeatedly about the noises so am doubting myself.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:14 am

restoresleep wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:01 am
So just to check that even when you breath in and out the machine makes no whooshing noises? So no noise even resembling the noise that machine #5 is making from my recording?
I can't hear your machine but my machine doesn't make any noise with my breathing. The machine motor working is silent.

Nothing can be heard except for sometimes I hear my own breathing...that Darth Vadar sound...and that is NOT machine motor related at all. It's a conducted noise.

You need to figure out for sure if the noise you are hearing is conducted breathing noise or actual machine motor noise.
Read this
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... rough.html

Stick your fingers in your ears...is the noise louder, diminished or the same?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

restoresleep

Post by restoresleep » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:14 am
I can't hear your machine but my machine doesn't make any noise with my breathing. The machine motor working is silent.
Oh sorry - should I upload to an alternative site so it might be playable?
Pugsy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:14 am
Nothing can be heard except for sometimes I hear my own breathing...that Darth Vadar sound...and that is NOT machine motor related at all. It's a conducted noise.

You need to figure out for sure if the noise you are hearing is conducted breathing noise or actual machine motor noise.
Read this
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blog ... rough.html

Stick your fingers in your ears...is the noise louder, diminished or the same?
The noise is diminished significantly when I use my own earplugs and my wife can clearly hear the noise from the opposite side of the bed - she describes the non-whistling noises as if the machine has turned into a vacuum cleaner. The machine itself sits on a soft folded towel on the floor beside (but not touching) the bed. All of the noises I've found problematic have been most audible from the air intake area of the machine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:51 am

restoresleep wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 am
Oh sorry - should I upload to an alternative site so it might be playable?
I doubt it. I think the problem is the audio on my own computer.
Let me try a different computer in a bit and see if I can hear anything.
In the past when people post machine noises....I simply can't hear what they are hearing. Doesn't mean it isn't there ..just means I can't hear it on my end. The audio on this laptop just plain sucks. I am getting a newer laptop next week...supposedly with better speakers.

The fact that the spouse hears it though...I know of no situation where spouses hear conducted noise. I know my own hubby doesn't because I have asked him. Noises that bother the spouse aren't usually conducted noise because conducted noise is usually in our own heads. Very real in our own heads but not something someone else can hear.

I have no explanation as to why you have had such bad luck with machines and machine noise. ResMed makes the best machine IMHO and while no one is perfect...we sure wouldn't expect one person to get so many lemons.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:39 am

Being intrigued, I took out my sound level testing rig and made some measurements on my ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with P10 nasal pillow mask. All numbers are averages taken over a 10 second sample and with a full humidifier tank.

Ambient room noise: 35db
Resmed level at 8 cmH2O next to machine: 42dB
Resmed level at 8 cmH2O 3' to machine: 38dB
Resmed level at 18 cmH2O next to machine: 61dB
Resmed level at 18 cmH2O 3' to machine: 54dB
P10 level at 8 cmH2O next to mask 3' from machine: 43dB
P10 level at 18 cmH2O next to mask 3' from machine: 53dB
At an EPR of 3 the decibel level at the machine at inhale is 6 dB at 8 cmH2O to 12 dB at 18 cmH2O louder than exhale

Comparatively speaking:
30 dB is a quiet country road
40 dB is a quiet suburb
50 dB is conversation at home
60 dB is conversation in a restaurant
70 dB is typical vacuum cleaner

For fun I'll see if I can get some longer term measurements and run it through my waveform analyzer. It is likely white noise, but I need to analyze it to be sure.

The OP could consider downloading a white noise generator app to their phone and trying that to see if it offsets what they are hearing. If they do download it the white noise generator should be placed about 6' from the CPAP machine on the opposite side of the bed to help cancel the noise of the machine.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:49 am

Sorry for top posting, but too lazy to snip...

I listened to the recordings and it is hard to hear what you are based on the quality of the sound files, not saying you are not hearing it just that it is not on the recordings. To my ear most sound like normal noise levels and typical sounds. Phones are not good recording devices as they do not have very good microphones. I have not run the recordings through my waveform analyzer, but will see if I can do that.
restoresleep wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:37 pm
I previously posted about two noise issues but am creating a new thread as I wanted to focus just on what would be viewed as normal noise from a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet machine.

I began APAP in January and it has been life changing. However, I feel plagued by noise issues from these machines and have summarised this experience below. Each of these machines was brand new when I got them directly from ResMed and the recordings sound most accurate when listened to on a mobile phone (PC speakers seem to dampen the noise): The noise from Machine #5 really travels up the tube and into the mask and makes it hard to get to sleep or stay asleep even when I wear ear plugs.

The first 500 hours of Machine #1 was an absolute delight as that machine was virtually silent and my wife could sleep without ear plugs. However she is getting really frustrated with her sleep being disrupted by these noises so we visited ResMed together and met the most helpful and patient nurse you could meet. She let me try four or five new machines and each one either had a whistling noise on the in-breath or sounded like Darth Vader. We ended up going with an older reconditioned machine (Machine #5), however after just 5 days of using that machine the whistling and whirring-type noise started.

I'm getting really dejected by these noises; they occur with and without the humidifier attached and no matter how many times I check to make sure the hose is properly seated. I keep reading how people say these machines should be virtually silent, but I'd love to know what virtually silent actually sounds like from others who have these machines. Could anyone who has one of these machines and feels theirs is virtually silent record the sound theirs makes and post it up for comparison?

I'm conscious that different devices may record sounds differently. I recorded each of my sounds using an iPhone at a distance of at least 6 inches from the left side (air intake / filter side) of the machine if it helps at all with maybe holding your device in roughly the same position.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:03 am

Mine started making a little higher pitched noise after it passed around 5,000 hours of usage. However, it's not any louder than the fan we run for white noise.

The Air Mini, however, is a little noisier.

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:20 am

Are the recordings only the machine and not any mask sounds? It kind of sounds like when the pressure gets high and the mask is leaking, like air wooshing. I do hear the high pitched sound in the background on some of them.

I have good hearing and machine/mask noises bother me a lot when I'm trying to sleep. My AirSense 10 is practically silent (but it's still new). It seems very strange that you would get one bad machine after another. Have you tried placing it on different surfaces to see if it changes the sound? I once had my old machine setting on a surface (a small table) that for some reason acted as a sound board and magnified every sound it made.

Does changing the filter make any difference at all?
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:29 am

Any hard surface has the ability to transfer sound.
Even the hose touching the headboard can be noisy.
Check for any part of the cpap touching any solid object.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:58 pm

I'd be incredibly frustrated too. One possibility that hasn't come up in this thread: have you checked that you have the right setting for the size of the hose you're using?

My ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset made a whining/wheezing noise as I inhaled that drove me nuts. As per CF's advice, I put a heavy book inside the little table the machine sat on, put a thin rubber mat under the machine, and a folded hand towel under the mat. This quieted the noise down some, and with a white-noise machine I got so I could tolerate it. But only when I got my VAuto did I realize how quiet the first machine ought to have been. With the white-noise machine on, I can't hear the VAuto at all, though I hear a little bit of noise in the short hose when I inhale. For whatever reason, that doesn't bother me.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:10 pm

My first machine made a noise similar to the first two that you have posted. I let the company that I purchased it from listen on the phone and they sent me a new machine. I hear a similar noise in my new machine, but it's not a loud. I turned my machine so the vent that it pulls the air from isn't facing the bed. My machine sits on a dresser that is right next to my head. Now I can't hear it at all. You can see the pressure increase when it's turned on. It seems on mine that the noise starts when it gets to a higher pressure. My minimum pressure is 15. Some things that the DME told me, make sure the humidifier chamber is in all the way and that the rubber/silicone material on the humidifier chamber isn't bunched up. Also make sure the filter is in correctly and that you have the correct filter type (not an antimicrobial filter).

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:58 pm

restoresleep wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:01 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:20 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 pm
Thanks for the replies.

So just to check that even when you breath in and out the machine makes no whooshing noises? So no noise even resembling the noise that machine #5 is making from my recording?\
I'm also using an air10VAuto, and it's silent, I can hear air sounds when I breathe, these are always amplified with a mask. Originally the machine had the blanking plate, and it reflected motor whine into the tube, which was enough to annoy me, I swapped in a regular tank, and that whine went away.

I've heard multiple reports of people getting noise when the humidifier tank isn't properly seated, some have put a little bit of water soluble lube on the silicone in the machine. where the tank connects.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.