How to run a ResMed AirMini on a USB power bank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Holocron

Re: How to run a ResMed AirMini on a USB power bank

Post by Holocron » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:55 am

phli wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:04 pm
If you google "AirMini 24V Power Converter Output Cable", there are quite a few sources selling only the cable.
I got it from "CPAP battery shop" web site. Here is the direct link
https://www.cpapbatteryshop.com/store/p ... Cable.html

You can also get it from here
https://caremedicalsource.com/battery-p ... put-cable/

or here
https://www.sleeprestfully.com/AirMini- ... Cable-Only

If you want even cheaper one, this website (https://lofta.com/products/airmini-pilo ... 1633341487) selling for only $19. It is actually the same cable come with P__T 24 ( black color). But they are temporary out of stock. Both black and white cables should work fine with Omni Mobile based on psteckler's feedback
Thanks for the links. I eventually found those with my Google-Fu after posting. I have a Omni Charge 20 (2018) on the way. But I might exchange it for the Omni Mobile. Likewise will return the 12-24v adapter and order a cable only.

BTW, how much run time did you get out of the Omni Mobile?

Additional Comments: Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier for daily use. (Not listed above) Airmini for travel.
Daily Driver (normally sans recall): Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier / DreamWear Nasal Cushion
Travel Unit (now currently daily driver during recall): ResMed Airmini / AirFit P10

phli

Post by phli » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Holocron wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:55 am
phli wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:04 pm
If you google "AirMini 24V Power Converter Output Cable", there are quite a few sources selling only the cable.
I got it from "CPAP battery shop" web site. Here is the direct link
https://www.cpapbatteryshop.com/store/p ... Cable.html

You can also get it from here
https://caremedicalsource.com/battery-p ... put-cable/

or here
https://www.sleeprestfully.com/AirMini- ... Cable-Only

If you want even cheaper one, this website (https://lofta.com/products/airmini-pilo ... 1633341487) selling for only $19. It is actually the same cable come with P__T 24 ( black color). But they are temporary out of stock. Both black and white cables should work fine with Omni Mobile based on psteckler's feedback
Thanks for the links. I eventually found those with my Google-Fu after posting. I have a Omni Charge 20 (2018) on the way. But I might exchange it for the Omni Mobile. Likewise will return the 12-24v adapter and order a cable only.

BTW, how much run time did you get out of the Omni Mobile?
I don't want to deplete the power so I can't answer your question. But it works for at least 7 hours on AirMini and still have 2 LED on.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm

phli wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm
I don't want to deplete the power so I can't answer your question. But it works for at least 7 hours on AirMini and still have 2 LED on.
Bummer. I was hoping to get a couple nights out of it.

Thanks for the info.

Additional Comments: Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier for daily use. (Not listed above) Airmini for travel.
Daily Driver (normally sans recall): Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier / DreamWear Nasal Cushion
Travel Unit (now currently daily driver during recall): ResMed Airmini / AirFit P10

phli

Post by phli » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 pm

Holocron wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm
phli wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm
Bummer. I was hoping to get a couple nights out of it.

Thanks for the info.
There are 4 LEDs on when fully charged. The total run time also depends on AirMini setting. I think you should be able to get a couple nights from it. As I only use it on airplane, 7 -8 hours run time is sufficient for me. BTW, you may be able to pass through another power bank to Omni Mobile to extend the run time. In this configuration, Omni Mobile is simply a 3.7V converts to 24V DC adapter with build in + extended power bank.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:05 am

phli wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 pm
There are 4 LEDs on when fully charged. The total run time also depends on AirMini setting. I think you should be able to get a couple nights from it. As I only use it on airplane, 7 -8 hours run time is sufficient for me. BTW, you may be able to pass through another power bank to Omni Mobile to extend the run time. In this configuration, Omni Mobile is simply a 3.7V converts to 24V DC adapter with build in + extended power bank.
Well, we'll see how it goes. The Omni 20 (2018) I ordered is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Though, their shipping email was a little confusing and I'm concerned I'm only getting the solar charger--might need to do a last minute order from Amazon since I'm traveling "off grid" on Sunday.

My AirMini just arrived yesterday...just in time for a business trip tomorrow. While I haven't used it yet, just the sight of that compared to traveling with my RemStar is exciting.

phli

Post by phli » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:43 pm

Holocron wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:05 am
phli wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 pm
Well, we'll see how it goes. The Omni 20 (2018) I ordered is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Though, their shipping email was a little confusing and I'm concerned I'm only getting the solar charger--might need to do a last minute order from Amazon since I'm traveling "off grid" on Sunday.

My AirMini just arrived yesterday...just in time for a business trip tomorrow. While I haven't used it yet, just the sight of that compared to traveling with my RemStar is exciting.
Welcome to the AirMini Club. Please take time to watch this clip (specially starting from 12:50). It may answer some of the questions you may have when using the machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRy4_HVGl58

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:36 am

For those interested in this topic, this was my setup:

ResMed Airmini; P10 Mask; Omnicharge Omni 20 (2018); direct 24v power cable

The Omni 20 has about 20,000 mAH compared to the Omnicharge 25,000mAH (approximate values) discussed above.

I did 2 nights of backcountry hiking with this set-up and logged about 16hrs of run time. I have a solar charger for the Omni 20, but did not use it. Everything ran great. I ran into condensation issues on the first night. Water was forming in the short run between the mask and the humidX cartridge. The second night I ran almost all the hose inside the sleeping back and, despite being colder in the mid to upper 30's, no issues with condensation.

phli

Post by phli » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:42 pm

I like your travel pouch. Where can I get it (online)?

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:38 am

phli wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:42 pm
I like your travel pouch. Where can I get it (online)?
Unfortunately, I don't think it can be found anywhere. It's something I inherited from a family member who used to work at an outdoor retailer and this was a staff gift. I've been using it as the intended toiletry bag for years, but repurposed it for my travel cpap. The Airmini, hose, power adapter, and mask fit in it perfectly. The humidX packs live in the small pouch on the left. For hiking, I omit the power adapter and put the battery in the pouch on the right. Again, perfect fit.

I'll continue to use it for travel, but it weighs to much for hiking.

I haven't done any fit testing, but these two option look promising:
https://www.rei.com/product/104447/sp-g ... amera-case
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8HC4V8/re ... ODbVCJ4AS0

threehappypenguins

Post by threehappypenguins » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Holocron wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:36 am
For those interested in this topic, this was my setup:

ResMed Airmini; P10 Mask; Omnicharge Omni 20 (2018); direct 24v power cable

The Omni 20 has about 20,000 mAH compared to the Omnicharge 25,000mAH (approximate values) discussed above.
Do you think something like this would work if I had a DC to DC converter for the Resmed Airsense 10? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07K4S ... 9BIV&psc=1

Patagoniacpap

Post by Patagoniacpap » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:23 pm

I had my brother help build this for a 2 week trip in Torres Del Paine, Chile. I used it for 11 of the 14 days alternating 2 lithium batteries that I could recharge at the refugios. Next rev will have a heat sink since the little converter box got pretty warm. I never dropped below 2 lights on the batteries.

kidvid

Post by kidvid » Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 am

phli wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:32 pm
I don't have a solution for power-up AirMini with a USB port power bank. But I do have a similar need - How to power-up AirMini on a power bank? I bought RedMed AirMini CPAP a year ago for my business travel. Since then, It has been a "must" gear when I go to Asia. The only problem is I can't use it for a long flight. I started looking for a solution online. The most of battery pack designed for CPAP are all above $300. On the other hand, It is hard to find regular battery pack offers DC output up to 24V with decent power rate. The second best option is those products with AC output. But that also means I have to carry an AC adapter onboard airplane. Moreover, the AC adapter also takes some juice off when doing power conversion. When traveling, I want to pack as light as possible therefore bringing an extra AC adaptor just for the battery pack is also out of question. Until I found the Omni Mobile 25600mAh. It comes with DC 5.5x2.1 power jacket. All I need to do is to buy a DC jacket adapter power cable ( $29.95) for AirMini. Now I have a perfect solution – I spend less than $180 (with tax and shipping) to turn on AirMini in the airplane without carrying AC adaptor. This unit offers almost the same power capacity ( 92Wh vs. 95Wh) at the exact same weight but $160 less comparing to P_t 24. I made a mockup of P_t 24 to compare the size between two products. You can judge by yourself. Best of all, it can be recharged with any standard USB AC charger with USB-A to USB-C cable (come with the unit). I actually charge it with my Lenovo ThinkPad P52s AC adaptor which comes with USB-C PD port. Not to mention all other features as a battery pack should have ( USB-A QC-3 port x2, USB-C, and wireless charger). Even within all OmniCharge products, I think Omni Mobile 25600mAh is the best product that balances the power capacity and features for CPAP application and the cost. With its DC output, there is no reason it can't work with other CPAP models running at either 12V DC or 24V DC. All you need to do is to find the proper DC power adapter cable ( from 5.5 x2.1 DC male) to your machine's power receptacle. I bought my Omni Mobile from their Amazon store and received it the very second day with Prime shipping service. I hope this info helps people who are also looking for CPAP battery solution
Does anyone or Phil know if this battery pack would work too? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RHJMNHD/ I don't mind it being smaller and having to charge once a day.

Thanks!

jsnider

Post by jsnider » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 pm

I went a bit more hillbilly EE and added a low voltage cutoff to protect the battery and a slide on adapter to be able to use the many Dewalt 20v max lithium batteries I have for my power tools. Really only did this for camping, driving travel, and power outages at home. I expect I'd get tackled by TSA if they saw this setup in my carry-on. I'll get it into a nice 3d printed box someday.

Low voltage cutoff (I set mine to 17v)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07929Y5SZ/

And the battery adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J7XWVKY/

Connected to the LVC I used the same boost converter and cable as the original poster. Works like a charm. I'll do some run-time tests and follow up for anybody else who wants to hot-wire their cpap too.

whistlerdan

Post by whistlerdan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:20 am

jsnider wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 pm
Connected to the LVC I used the same boost converter and cable as the original poster. Works like a charm. I'll do some run-time tests and follow up for anybody else who wants to hot-wire their cpap too.
Please do follow up. A photo with your setup would be very useful.

Where did you find the cable for the AirMini? All of the OP's original links are dead. It seems impossible to find those cables online anymore.

I'm also curious as to why you and OP are talking about 20v batteries. Doesn't the AirMIni require a 24v input?

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09 pm

whistlerdan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:20 am
Where did you find the cable for the AirMini? All of the OP's original links are dead. It seems impossible to find those cables online anymore.

I'm also curious as to why you and OP are talking about 20v batteries. Doesn't the AirMIni require a 24v input?
Here's a current vendor for the cable: https://cpapsupplies.com/bps-airmini-output-cable-only

The voltage booster described in the original post takes a lower voltage from a battery and puts out 24VDC.