Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:49 pm

poppi2 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:44 pm
I plan to pay my barber extra for me missing the year.
+1

Gramps is getting wooly. After we feel fairly safe by being vaccinated, he's going to take an envelope to his barber appointment with some bills in it for a Christmas gift and some more for the time he skipped.

khauser

Post by khauser » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Here i can sign up for 1b, but that doesn't begin until Friday (the sign up part). Governor already says we will run out of vaccine before unless more arrives. So.... not holding my breath.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:14 pm

khauser wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:04 pm
Here i can sign up for 1b, but that doesn't begin until Friday (the sign up part). Governor already says we will run out of vaccine before unless more arrives. So.... not holding my breath.
this is exactly what worries me.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

lordvader

Post by lordvader » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:04 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 am
Gramps and I have confirmed appointments for January 21.
I had my 1st dose of Moderna. I go back on 2/5 for my 2nd dose.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Zest Q

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 pm

Here's what to expect (I've had both of my Pfizer vaccines, luckily I didn't get it from my wife and daughter who got COVID about 10 days after my first vaccine). At the 13 day mark, I had trace antibodies by a Healgen rapid antibody test. By 21 days, it was markedly positive. Despite ten Abbot BinaxNOW rapid antigen tests, I was never positive for COVID despite my wife and daughter having it. Proof that the vaccine works unless there is a very random chance that all my rapid antigen tests were falsely negative.

#1: I felt immediately dizzy/woozy and felt that way for a few hours. My arm was sore at about the 6 hour mark and continued for 24 hours. About the same as a flu shot.

#2: Felt great first 8 hours or so then arm soreness started setting in. At the 12 hour mark, my arm was so sore I had trouble moving it. I actually joked that I may have to have anesthesia intubate any of my patients the following day because my arm was so sore. At the 18 hour mark, I awakened with severe rigors (didn't actually mount a temp), severe nausea, and body aches. I could barely sleep that night. Had to be at work at 6 am that day and felt like crap the entire day. I felt like the flu on massive steroids -- definitely the worst I've ever felt before. Not even falciparum malaria when I was in Zambia felt this bad. Unfortunately, I couldn't find coverage and had to show up to work. I had the worst fatigue I've ever felt in my life, nausea that wasn't helped with Zofran, and bad body aches. I took Tylenol and Motrin at work for body aches and must have had a slight fever because I became pretty sweaty afterwards. I came home, went to bed at 4:30 pm, awakened at 9 pm and got some chicken noodle soup from Chick-fil-A, and then went back to bed. I awakened at 4:30 am for my Sunday shift (also couldn't find coverage) and felt absolutely perfectly fine when I awakened.

For the vast majority of people, they have not experienced such bad side effects. Around 25-30% experience flu-like symptoms. The rest only have a sore arm. Maybe half the people who have flu-like symptoms develop moderate to severe symptoms. One of our nurses had a temp of 105.

There are reports out of Norway about nursing home patients dying after receiving the vaccine. It's cause for concern for those >80 years of age to consider. 23 deaths seems a lot to be coincidence. https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149

For the vast majority of people, the COVID vaccine's side effects are minimal and still recommended people get it. I would much prefer to have 24 hours of COVID-like symptoms than have COVID itself with my OSA, hypertension, diabetes, etc. I've spent way more time than I would like watching people of all ages struggle to breathe, some of whom never make it alive out of the hospital despite very heroic efforts (including ECMO). Even if COVID doesn't kill you, the morbidity associated with it is something you cannot describe unless you experience it first hand. Unfortunately, I see it every single shift I work in the ER (5-10 patients/day with COVID). We currently have >220 people hospitalized with COVID, which represents almost 30% of all admissions in the hospital where I work.

Get your vaccines people. If they're offered to you, you should take one. COVID isn't going away until we get 70-80% herd immunity whether from infection or from vaccination.

Last edited by southerndoc on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truffles

Post by Truffles » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:13 pm

I work in healthcare and am scheduled for my second dose on Tuesday. My arm hurt a little on day two and three, otherwise no adverse effects. In addition to myself I've been able to set up vaccinations for two of my family members. In all cases, I received an email about an opportunity with very little advance noticed and dropped everything to sign up. I keep hearing about situations where there are leftover thawed vaccines looking for arms, so I think it is possible to chase them down if you are tenacious. Otherwise, waiting in line for your official turn is the option, and make sure your county/state health dept can get a hold of you easily.

I also have a hair appointment scheduled for 10 days past my second vaccination. Ive been grooming my dogs at home for a few years, so in the past year I've been cutting hair for my husband and two of my kids with the dog supplies. I tried once to cut my own hair, but that's hard to do so I'm just waiting.

ResMed nasal mask N20 and Bleep (not at the same time)

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 am

Work in healthcare, and had first Moderna shot a week ago. slightly sore arm for a day, maybe a bit tired, but otherwise fine. Can't wait to be protected 2 weeks after second shot.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:57 am

southerndoc wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 pm
There are reports out of Norway about nursing home patients dying after receiving the vaccine. It's cause for concern for those >80 years of age to consider. 23 deaths seems a lot to be coincidence. https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149
My God, the Norwegians are vaccinating terminally ill patients. I wonder if this is being done in the US?
Norwegian authorities have prioritised the immunisation of residents in nursing homes, most of whom are very elderly with underlying medical conditions and some of whom are terminally ill. NOMA confirm the number of incidents so far is not alarming, and in line with expectations,

klm49

Post by klm49 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:21 am

Got my 1st. shot 2/3, was lucky enough to see state's announcement early and got on the list at local pharmacy. Took a total of about 30 mins. with a 10 min. wait time after shot to see if reaction. They initially got only 300 shots. Took my Sister 2 calls and an in person trip to get on the list. There are state run Vac. centers now but who want s to drive 50 miles and wait in line for hours. You have to be persistent and proactive to get a shot.

Last edited by klm49 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

joeack1

Post by joeack1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm

I work in a hospital so was lucky to get the Pfizer vaccine once we got it. Have received both doses.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:24 pm

I can't possible make a 2 hour drive, one way, with my 88 year old mother to "maybe" get the vaccine. She's wheelchair bound and a struggle to make it 45 minutes to a doctor's appt as it is.
Where I live...no one but hospital workers or nursing home residents (or workers) is able to get the vaccine.
It is what it is and while bitching on a blog is unlikely to make a difference...sometimes that is our only option.
Not everyone can drive long distances to maybe get the shot.
Missouri is simply not even getting the vaccines out well enough yet to the first tier who want it.
Except maybe in KC or St Louis and I am about as far away from those cities as it is possible to be.

I put my mom on the list through our local hospital...and myself...but she gets it first...eventually it will be available through the hospital/doctor network or our local WalMart.
In the meantime we continuing doing what we are doing.

So klm49...thank you so much for your very unhelpful remarks. Your empathy level must be in the negative numbers.
Have a nice day.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:24 pm
I can't possible make a 2 hour drive, one way, with my 88 year old mother to "maybe" get the vaccine. She's wheelchair bound and a struggle to make it 45 minutes to a doctor's appt as it is.
Where I live...no one but hospital workers or nursing home residents (or workers) is able to get the vaccine.
It is what it is and while bitching on a blog is unlikely to make a difference...sometimes that is our only option.
Not everyone can drive long distances to maybe get the shot.
Missouri is simply not even getting the vaccines out well enough yet to the first tier who want it.
Except maybe in KC or St Louis and I am about as far away from those cities as it is possible to be.

I put my mom on the list through our local hospital...and myself...but she gets it first...eventually it will be available through the hospital/doctor network or our local WalMart.
In the meantime we continuing doing what we are doing.

So klm49...thank you so much for your very unhelpful remarks. Your empathy level must be in the negative numbers.
Have a nice day.

Didn't mean to offend anyone and especially you. I just see so many people elsewhere who obviously are just expecting tyhat they should be able to get a drive thru vaccine at McDonalds at will. It's gonna take time to get to rural areas, I was surprised when mine got some at our local food chain pharmacies.
Sorry to rub you, the wrong way. my comments were not aimed as you or anyone here specifically!

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:56 pm

Well...it was nice knowing y'all!

Based upon my age, priorities that the vaccine is being given out, and states not doing a great job in managing distribution after receiving it from the Fed. Govt, etc...I estimate I'll get the vaccine by next Christmas! :shock:

So, I'll either be dead from COVID by then, or have gotten COVID and survived, or everyone else will have either got COVID or vaccinated and herd immunity will prevent me from getting it! :roll: :roll:

...better go get me some Vitamin D :wink: :wink:
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:32 am

JLROhio wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:56 pm
Well...it was nice knowing y'all!

Based upon my age, priorities that the vaccine is being given out, and states not doing a great job in managing distribution after receiving it from the Fed. Govt, etc...I estimate I'll get the vaccine by next Christmas! :shock:

So, I'll either be dead from COVID by then, or have gotten COVID and survived, or everyone else will have either got COVID or vaccinated and herd immunity will prevent me from getting it! :roll: :roll:

...better go get me some Vitamin D :wink: :wink:
I've seen enough studies, I take a bunch of VitD3, (did that before covid, just continuing what I was doing, recommendation is 35iu/lb body weight), my labs come back good when it's measured. I've said it before, I'll say it again, 1.2 million IU at Costco for 9.99, (600 2000iu capsules).

Will it make a difference if I get exposed to SARS-COV-2? I don't know... have I *BEEN* exposed and never had anything other than a low fever for a couple days? maybe, I don't know, haven't had a test. (have had a mild fever for a couple days a couple times this last year... so, I dunno. Am I going to keep taking the VitD3 anyway? yes. :)

Best of luck to you all.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:32 am
Will it make a difference if I get exposed to SARS-COV-2?
When are you getting vaccinated?