COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:19 am

southerndoc wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:10 am
by southerndoc » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:10 am
Many thanks for the comments.
southerndoc wrote:
I certainly wouldn't go get an MMR booster.
What about people like Cpapian, Gramps and me? We had the viruses and were never vaccinated. In any case, Gramps and I believe we can continue to avoid COVID-19 for a month or two at which time we hope to get one of the mRNA vaccines.
southerndoc wrote:
Some of this information is wrong. 50% of people who test positive for COVID-19 are not asymptomatic. The number is around 20%.
The current best planning estimate from the CDC is 40% of the population (not just those tested) are asymptomatic with estimates ranging from 10% to 70% (Table 1: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... arios.html).
southerndoc wrote:
The 1% fatality rate is from COVID-19 itself and not from subsequent outcomes (i.e., it induces a hypercoagulable state; I've seen 20 year olds have devastating strokes while recovering from a recent COVID-19 infection).
Yep, this has hit close to home. We have a 71-year old female friend who seemed to have recovered from COVID, but had a stroke two weeks later. Also, the young college basketball player Johnson who recently collapsed on the basketball court after "recovering completely" from COVID in August. :(
southerndoc wrote:
I haven't had any side effects of the COVID-19 vaccine other than dizziness for a few hours.
Do you think that was a true side effect or just the effect of a normal antibody-building process?

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:15 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:19 am

What about people like Cpapian, Gramps and me? We had the viruses and were never vaccinated. In any case, Gramps and I believe we can continue to avoid COVID-19 for a month or two at which time we hope to get one of the mRNA vaccines.
Hard to say. Think there is limited data available for it.
ChicagoGranny wrote: Yep, this has hit close to home. We have a 71-year old female friend who seemed to have recovered from COVID, but had a stroke two weeks later. Also, the young college basketball player Johnson who recently collapsed on the basketball court after "recovering completely" from COVID in August. :(
I've seen some very weird sequelae from COVID-19. Had a young guy who have a thrombus (clot) in his left ventricle that showered to his spleen and right leg. I couldn't put it all together when I saw him complaining of shortness of breath, left flank pain and right leg pain with an exam showing a pulseless foot. He never told me he had COVID-19 because he didn't know. We only knew when his COVID test came up positive after we talked to him about his CTA chest showing COVIDy looking lungs (lots of groundglass opacities). That's when we found the clot in his left ventricle and multiple clots in his right lower extremity.
ChicagoGranny wrote:Do you think that was a true side effect or just the effect of a normal antibody-building process?
Wasn't the normal antibody-building process because it happened immediately after I got the vaccine (like within minutes). Lasted for about 3-4 hours. At first I thought it was just me, but several other docs reported similar symptoms. One reported that he had ringing in his ears for several hours after the vaccine. After my initial dizziness, I haven't had any symptoms at all. No fatigue, body aches, fever, etc.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:35 pm
Thanks. I watched the first podcast you linked to, and actually really enjoyed it, but am wondering why Amy has concluded the SA variant has died out, she seems very sure of her position but she doesn't provide the evidence for why she has stated this. I would love to know why she has says this.

The number of cases continues to rise in SA and so I am curious as to which variant is now dominant there.

Here is a link to the official latest update re numbers in SA.

https://www.nicd.ac.za/latest-confirmed ... -dec-2020/
Arlene, on TWiV Episode 700 (12/30), Vincent admits the SA variant did not disappear. He brushed off his mistake by saying we didn't have the evidence.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:13 pm

Sleep Apnea can't die out, what would people blame all the things they have going wrong healthwise on. :roll: Jim Sleep Apnea causes all things bad.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:57 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm

Arlene, on TWiV Episode 700 (12/30), Vincent admits the SA variant did not disappear. He brushed off his mistake by saying we didn't have the evidence.
Thanks CG. I watched the full episode last night, I have to admit I really enjoy this podcast a lot. I could never have imagined myself last year this time being so intrigued by virology that I would spend New Year's Eve watching a podcast on variant Covid 19. :D

In a personal update my 86 year old Dad is recovering well now from Covid19 and has started half hour daily walks and is even beginning to incorporate short "sprints" into these walks. He was running 5km 3 times a week prior to Covid 19 .

There is hope here to be found and we are a family of optimists.

My sister is 90% recovered now and is also walking/jogging. My 30 year old nephew is completely recovered.

My 83 year old Uncle I mentioned in an earlier post is unfortunately in hospital with Covid19 pneumonia but is responding well to meds. His wife is almost completely recovered from Covid19, she seemed to have only a very mild case from the start. This virus is so very interesting!

We are all missing my mom terribly but want to remember the best of her and a life that was long, happy and very blessed in so many ways.

Happy new year, CG and Gramps.

Also thanks to Cpapian for your kind words. Very much appreciated.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:13 pm

zonker wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:41 pm
dammit, looks like the variant is in the united states-

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronav ... k/2811244/
From what I understand, there is yet to be evidence that this variant spreads faster. Just evidence that it is being spread faster.

Cpapian

Post by Cpapian » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:59 pm

I read that this new variant has a higher viral load and that is why it spreads faster.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:15 am

Sadly my Uncle passed away from Covid 19 pneumonia in South Africa this morning. It is almost unbelievable that he died exactly 28 days after my mom (his sister). He stated quite clearly he never wanted to be put on a ventilator and so there were no more options as his condition deteriorated over the past week despite an initial improvement. Up until getting this virus he was an active man, and quite healthy and sharp. At the small funeral for my mom on the 21 Dec he gave a beautiful eulogy that my nephew sent me to watch.

Also, a close friend of my nephew who is the same age as him (30 years old) passed away on Sunday from Covid 19 complications. He was in ICU for about a week. It is not at all common for someone so young to die, so it has been a shocker of a week. Frankly we are reeling. This virus is just going crazy still in the Eastern Cape. To think that 3 months ago my family there didn't know a single person who had Covid19, it is almost unbelievable to see what has happened in the community. Everyone knows someone who has it or has died.

It just goes to show how easily this virus can get out of hand.

I am so grateful we are in deep lockdown here in Ontario and so hope that we can contain this in our province before one of these nasty variants becomes dominant.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm

I am so sorry to hear that, Arlene! I cannot imagine how tough it must be on you to lose your mom and uncle so suddenly and unexpectedly, and to deal with the imminent dangers to the rest of your family! It is hard not to fear for your own life after all that! I hear many people claim that this continuing state of fear is worse than the illness itself, but it should be no excuse for not doing our best to fight it. People are different, and for some - one course of action make sense, while for others - it may be the opposite, but we must all find common ground to counteract the effects of this global threat, keeping an open mind, and putting in the requisite effort to mitigate its effects and try and get out of it as quickly as possible.
My condolences, once again, and I hope - for the last time!

McSleepy

Last edited by McSleepy on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Sending you another cyber hug Arlene. I am so sorry. I can't think of anything else to say that is printable in public. My frustrations are beyond words.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 pm

I received word today that my brother died from COVID-19. I had not been told that he was sick. He and his wife both had it, but she managed to come through it and is recovering in a nursing home. She was diagnosed with COPD several years ago, and had been on oxygen twenty four hours a day for four or five years. They were living in an assisted living facility which is where they were exposed to it.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 pm
I received word today that my brother died from COVID-19. I had not been told that he was sick. He and his wife both had it, but she managed to come through it and is recovering in a nursing home. She was diagnosed with COPD several years ago, and had been on oxygen twenty four hours a day for four or five years. They were living in an assisted living facility which is where they were exposed to it.
My sincerest condolences! This must be such a shock for you! One of the worst aspects of COVID-19 is this sudden onset and rapid exodus that is so hard on the relatives. It even happens to younger people - one day you're healthy and unsuspecting, the next day - gone! May your brother rest in peace and let's hope his wife pulls all the way through! Be safe and be strong!

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:47 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 pm
Oh I am so sorry. Double bad surprise at that. Sending you a cyber hug and prayers.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks so much once again McSleepy and Pugsy for your kind words,

Okie, my sincere condolences on the passing of your brother. I hope that your sister-in-law continues to recover.