Cpap and teeth infection

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: Cpap and teeth infection

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:48 am

If you think your machine needs sterilizing, then you need to find a way to sterilize the whole room, if not house, that the machine's in... and that would include the air of course (though the filters probably do a good job). The machine no more needs sterilizing than you do. Just because someone posts nutty ads to make money, doesn't mean you have to believe what they say or support it.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:50 am

Goofproof wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:22 pm
zonker wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:19 am
Eyi wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 am
Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful.

Yes, I do experience dry mouth from time to time.

I am also learning new things about SoClean which I rely so much upon. Which machine can then be used to sterilize the cpap?
sterilizing your cpap isn't necessary.

to help avoid dry mouth, may i suggest xylimelts? this is a wee disk that fits between tooth and cheek. it then slowly melts overnight promoting saliva. saliva is what helps to guard your teeth against decay. one of the things that helps, anyway.

good luck!
I would not put anything in my mouth when sleeping. I wouldn't want to choke and croak! I do use Hershey Kisses, they get the juices flowing safely. Jim
There's nothing wrong with xylimelts. I've been using them for about a year and they do what is claimed. The xylimelts stick to your gums/teeth and dissolve over a few hours. Never had a choking issue, or even close.

Sticking a Hershey Kiss between your teeth and gums might taste a ton better but it's not going to do your teeth much good...
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:06 am

Conrad wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:50 am
Goofproof wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:22 pm
zonker wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:19 am
Eyi wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 am
Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful.

Yes, I do experience dry mouth from time to time.

I am also learning new things about SoClean which I rely so much upon. Which machine can then be used to sterilize the cpap?
sterilizing your cpap isn't necessary.

to help avoid dry mouth, may i suggest xylimelts? this is a wee disk that fits between tooth and cheek. it then slowly melts overnight promoting saliva. saliva is what helps to guard your teeth against decay. one of the things that helps, anyway.

good luck!
I would not put anything in my mouth when sleeping. I wouldn't want to choke and croak! I do use Hershey Kisses, they get the juices flowing safely. Jim
There's nothing wrong with xylimelts. I've been using them for about a year and they do what is claimed. The xylimelts stick to your gums/teeth and dissolve over a few hours. Never had a choking issue, or even close.

Sticking a Hershey Kiss between your teeth and gums might taste a ton better but it's not going to do your teeth much good...
I had better start worrying, still have my teeth, at 75, lots of Hershey over that bridge. Most of the chemicals in Hershey don't come from chemical companies. Most of my tooth problems are the result of drilling by the dentist as a young boy, my teeth would be much better not had they not drilled and filled them to swiss cheese. His new car always had new tires and wheels, it alway looked nice outside his office. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:10 am

Conrad wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:50 am

<sigh> i keep forgetting to mention that the wee disks have a slightly sticky side that helps adhere it to the teeth.

but truth to tell, in my five years of use, i have had two occasions when they have dislodged. but that was way after they had dissolved enough that they didn't present a choke hazard.

btw, that sigh is for me and not directed at you, conrad.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Norma45

Post by Norma45 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:18 pm

I am a mouth breather.
This means I tend to get more cavities but I have never had infections (so far and I have many decades behind me :D ).

I have learned over time, confirmed by a couple dentists, that the saliva helps fight the bacteria that can give you cavities. Also, research studies have shown that not brushing for 30 minutes after eating helps reduce cavities (brushing kills off the natural bacteria in the saliva) - not what I was taught growing up.

Bipap - I use a full mask because I get a stuffy nose (allergies) and most nights I don't get dry mouth. I use a humidifier but don't turn on the heating on my tube. I start with the humidifier filled up close to max and I use most of that every night. Sometimes I still get dry mouth, I haven't figured out all my PAP issues so it might be on nights with higher leaks, I will go figure this out after I consistently get my AHIs down.
Too soon to tell if being able to reduce dry mouth with the humidifier will affect teeth help, but my guess is yes it will.
So a humidifier might be something to try.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Norma45 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:18 pm
Also, research studies have shown that not brushing for 30 minutes after eating helps reduce cavities (brushing kills off the natural bacteria in the saliva)
That's not quite right.
Certain foods and drinks - especially those high in carbohydrates and sugars - spur the creation of certain bacteria in your mouth that attack your tooth enamel for at least twenty minutes after you eat a meal or have a snack. By brushing right after you eat, you will get rid of bacteria before they attack your tooth enamel.

https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-heal ... r-you-0313
However, there is a caveat.
You should know, however, that brushing your teeth after eating can sometimes affect your tooth enamel. According to the Mayo Clinic, if you've consumed anything acidic, you should avoid brushing your teeth for at least 30 minutes. Foods containing citric acid , like oranges, grapefruits and lemons, weaken tooth enamel. Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state.
https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-heal ... r-you-0313
So, it's a catch 22. Brush too soon, and you may damage the enamel. Wait, and the bacteria can lead to cavities.

There is a way around this. Immediately after eating, rinse with a mild (no-alcohol, pH-balanced) mouth rinse. Wait 30 minutes to brush.

When eating out and unable to do this, I chew xylitol gum immediately after eating. The saliva this generates helps clear bacteria and restore pH balance.

Norma45

Post by Norma45 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm

Chicago Granny, that sounds like what I read, since I was looking for causes of weak enamel.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Norma, I asked my dentist about brushing too soon after eating. He said there was nothing to worry about unless we eat a lot of citrus fruits and tomatoes. Well, guess what we eat a lot of. :shock:

FG_Rick

Post by FG_Rick » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:36 pm

My dentist (who suffers from sleep apnea himself) told me that dry mouth due to mouth breathing during CPAP treatment can definitely cause tooth decay. I had complained about dry mouth during CPAP use, and he warned me to take this risk of tooth decay seriously. We regularly talk about sleep apnea and different forms of therapy: CPAP, dental appliances, etc. and he gives me plus and minus of each.