OT:::::Airbreak: Airsense S10 firmware hack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

Re: OT:::::Airbreak: Airsense S10 firmware hack

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:52 pm

littlebuddha wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm not involved in this project but as a software developer my take of the situation after reading the website is that essentially the software as shipped by ResMed has full capabilities for all treatment modes. However they have turned off certain modes based on how much they were paid for the device. Ie it's a configuration setting that tells the software what to offer the patient.

So maybe the only thing that ResMed would have to do in order to ship an "unlock firmware" is take the existing software, change configuration settings, and package it up for installation on hardware. It's reasonably likely that Philips does the same thing. Also granted I'm ignoring the FDA approval process that may or may not apply.

I'm seriously considering buying a new AutoSet just to play with this.
If it is merely a configuration setting alone that sets these machines apart, it does beg the question as to whether the hardware is uniform, only limited by firmware locking. It also suggests the possibility of a "God" menu already lurking on the machine that's beyond the Clinician's menu. Anyone had any luck on that front? I'm not advocating searching for Easter eggs because it could be anywhere and require any number of key presses/holds from within any specific menu setting, if it were available. But if there already is a God menu...
Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:57 pm
Why would you buy a new AutoSet, instead of an AS 10 CPAP?

My biggest concern with this process is none of my firmware versions on my machines are SX567-401, the process appears to be:
  • save firmware,
  • patch,
  • flash patched firmware
Though, there is a note about contacting them if you're not on SX567-401.
It makes sense about the CPAP vs Autoset. If it's the same hardware, why pay more? In fact, why not buy a used CPAP and give it a shot on that first, littlebuddha?

Dogslobber, I'm not sure I understand your reference, having only hacked android firmware a couple times casually following a recipe. Are you saying you have versions for all the various AirSense 10 firmwares except Autoset, or are you saying it would be difficult to restore the original firmware if you decided you wanted to go back to factory? Or something else? EDIT: Ah -- the "For Her" mode is not available from the airbreak firmware. Is that it?

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

littlebuddha

Post by littlebuddha » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:57 pm
Why would you buy a new AutoSet, instead of an AS 10 CPAP?
DreamDiver wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:52 pm
It makes sense about the CPAP vs Autoset. If it's the same hardware, why pay more? In fact, why not buy a used CPAP and give it a shot on that first, littlebuddha?
Sorry for the confusion, I was mostly just meaning "buy a new device that's less expensive" as opposed to "an exact specific model". However that said, I do have an AutoSet For Her and a VAuto. So it would be interesting to download the firmware from those two devices and compare it - and buying a new "slightly different model" gives a third point of comparison. I would prefer not to modify the firmware on my existing machines (primary & backup) but obviously I could.
DreamDiver wrote:
If it is merely a configuration setting alone that sets these machines apart, it does beg the question as to whether the hardware is uniform, only limited by firmware locking. It also suggests the possibility of a "God" menu already lurking on the machine that's beyond the Clinician's menu. Anyone had any luck on that front? I'm not advocating searching for Easter eggs because it could be anywhere and require any number of key presses/holds from within any specific menu setting, if it were available. But if there already is a God menu...
I think it's unlikely that a god menu exists in a way that's enabled once it leaves the factory. If you could enable more modes without even cracking open the case it would really run contrary to the manufacturers shipping new hardware whenever somebody fails one therapy mode and has to move on to another.

However I wouldn't be surprised if someday they offer to sell you unlock keys for therapy changes. Ie you need ASV instead of CPAP? Pay $1000 and we'll unlock it remotely via the cellular modem. Or you know more than that, but still.

Also I don't know for sure that the hardware is 100% exactly the same. Various comments I've seen from people here and there make it sound like that's the case, but without tearing apart and comparing who knows. They clearly are very similar.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:50 pm

DreamDiver wrote:

Dogslobber, I'm not sure I understand your reference, having only hacked android firmware a couple times casually following a recipe. Are you saying you have versions for all the various AirSense 10 firmwares except Autoset, or are you saying it would be difficult to restore the original firmware if you decided you wanted to go back to factory? Or something else? EDIT: Ah -- the "For Her" mode is not available from the airbreak firmware. Is that it?
No, I'm not saying any of the above.

The process described, suggests that one extracts a copy of the firmware from their existing machine, then patch it, then reflash the patched version back onto their existing machine.

But, the published process is meant specifically for firmware version SX567-0401. Unless one's machine (CPAP\APAP\AirSense\AirCurve) is very new, their firmware will be considerably older than SX567-0401.
airbreak.dev wrote:The script might fail if the hashes of your extracted firmware do not match the one that it expects (currently SX567-0401). If you have a different version, please contact us for how to procede.
My AirCurve is SX567-0304
My AirSense AS for Her is SX567-0306
I have more, but haven't checked their firmware versions.

So I, and I'm guessing most of us, would have to contact the airbreak team for different instructions or for the SX567-401 binary.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:50 pm
airbreak.dev wrote:The script might fail if the hashes of your extracted firmware do not match the one that it expects (currently SX567-0401). If you have a different version, please contact us for how to procede.
My AirCurve is SX567-0304
My AirSense AS for Her is SX567-0306
I have more, but haven't checked their firmware versions.

So I, and I'm guessing most of us, would have to contact the airbreak team for different instructions or for the SX567-401 binary.
Now I understand. Thank you!
I know with Hacintosh you have to already have the proprietary flash ROM of the machine you plan to emulate ostensibly from a machine you already own because they're trying to skirt a legal consideration. Perhaps this is a similar legal issue.

My model is AirSense 10 for Her and my firmware is SX567-0401. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to extract the firmware. I imagine if a hospital was in dire need, airbreak would probably send them the 0401 firmware, legal consequences be damned. But we're not there.

Dog Slobber, I imagine if you already have these machines and you've cracked them open, you might be able to discern if there are physical differences between the for-Her and the Curve. Have you noticed any differences in the bowels of the machines you own?
Chris

However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:07 pm

littlebuddha wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:43 pm
I think it's unlikely that a god menu exists in a way that's enabled once it leaves the factory. If you could enable more modes without even cracking open the case it would really run contrary to the manufacturers shipping new hardware whenever somebody fails one therapy mode and has to move on to another.

However I wouldn't be surprised if someday they offer to sell you unlock keys for therapy changes. Ie you need ASV instead of CPAP? Pay $1000 and we'll unlock it remotely via the cellular modem. Or you know more than that, but still.

Also I don't know for sure that the hardware is 100% exactly the same. Various comments I've seen from people here and there make it sound like that's the case, but without tearing apart and comparing who knows. They clearly are very similar.
Excellent points. It probably would be shooting themselves in the foot to include a god menu.
A firmware update via 4G in the future does seem like a valid probability, agreed.
I suppose those hackers with the resources and the extra machines will at some point figure out if there are physical differences other than software limiting.

Thanks!

Chris

Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:07 pm

hokey smokes, bullwinkle!

you guys actually understand this stuff!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

joeyjernigan

Post by joeyjernigan » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:07 pm

wormyrocks wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 am
Hi!
I contributed to this project and would be happy to answer questions about it.
Can you help with instructions for firmware other than the one listed in the tutorial? It said to make contact to inquire how to proceed.

MaxPressure

Post by MaxPressure » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:01 am

Very interesting Thread.

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AUTOSET, and I was pleased to see that it has Firmware SX567-0401.

Don't worry, I'm not about to rat up my main machine. However, as I have to run mine in CPAP Mode at the 20 cm maximum, I'm interested in getting another S10 and seeing if I can unlock the Firmware to enable VAUTO features, specifically the option to take the Pressure up to 25 cm.

I appreciate that another S10 may not have the same Firmware, so I was thinking I may be able to Extract the Firmware from my own S10, without actually then Flashing it, and then use that copy to then Modify and then Flash to the other S10. I'm not sure if that's feasible from reading the Airbreak web site, but looks like it could be.

I know I need to obtain the ST-LINK/V2 and TC2050-IDC Kit to do this, and I have plenty of Windows machines that I can use as the machine to do the dirty deed with.

My own S10 is, basically, on the limit of what it can do as currently configured with the Stock SX567-0401 Firmware, so there is no Reserve Pressure if I get into a poor sleeping position, or if my ResMed F20 Mask springs a leak. When that happens, I am back into Apnoeas, albeit not usually that bad because the S10 is usually at least still pumping something to help keep things the right side of tears.

My aim in exploring the Airbreak tweak, is to then go back to variable Pressure, say, 15 to 25, and let an Airbreak S10 set to Vauto specs, adjust Pressure in the hope of working out what my Working Pressure might actually be. I suspect it may be 21 cm or thereabouts.

I'm in the UK, and my own S10 is via the NHS. Technically it is now mine to do with as I wish, the Respiratory Consultant said as much last visit because he is not ever expecting it back but, that said, I will keep it standard and will instead aim to fiddle with another S10 machine that I can afford (from a clinical perspective) to Brick if that should happen.

I do use OSCAR, and have a reasonable grasp of the issues, and so am pretty confident that, in an ideal world, I should really have been issued with a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto to give me the Pressure reserve over the key 20 cm that seems to work fine for me. But as I now manage my Sleep Apnoea "incredibly well", and my API is usually now between 0.0 and 2.0 most nights, the chances of me persuading the NHS to let me have a more capable machine is effectively zero.

I had enough trouble just getting the NHS to look at the Sleep Test Data. When they did, someone woke up and said that I had "exceptionally severe Sleep Apnoea" and I was handed an S10 more or less the same day that my Sleep Data was looked at!

So, keeping this to Airbreak, my plan at the moment is to source the above Kit, then find a good, probably pre-used S10, and then see if I can extract the SX567-0401 Firmware from my own NHS S10, and then edit a copy of that, before Flashing it to the Test S10 Unit. Then try to configure that S10 to VAuto Mode, and see what I can then achieve in terms of exploring my own Pressure needs.

If this is of any interest, I will Post my progress to this Thread. It may take a few weeks, as I have yet to source the Kit, let alone locate a well priced Test S10 Unit. However, the Kit should be with me within 7-10 Days, and I have a possible contact who can obtain a low hours pre-used S10 to Test this with.

MaxPressure

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:28 am

MaxPressure wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:01 am

If this is of any interest, I will Post my progress to this Thread. It may take a few weeks, as I have yet to source the Kit, let alone locate a well priced Test S10 Unit. However, the Kit should be with me within 7-10 Days, and I have a possible contact who can obtain a low hours pre-used S10 to Test this with.

MaxPressure
I would appreciate a topic following your progress.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 am

IOW, a new thread.
Thank you.

MaxPressure

Post by MaxPressure » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 am

No problem, I will start a new Thread when I have some progress to report, or failures to report!

MaxPressure

aikonokia

Post by aikonokia » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:34 am

wormyrocks wrote:
Hi!
I have followed the instructions to unlock the ASV and other modes, but the parameters in the menu are incomplete and some of them cannot be set, did you solve this problem? (trigger, cycle, Backup rate, etc)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 am

aikonokia wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:34 am
wormyrocks wrote:
Hi!
I have followed the instructions to unlock the ASV and other modes, but the parameters in the menu are incomplete and some of them cannot be set, did you solve this problem? (trigger, cycle, Backup rate, etc)
The project has effectively been abandoned.

Wormyrocks has not been back, there have been no updates to the project website and github for well over a year.

https://github.com/osresearch/airbreak
https://airbreak.dev/

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:02 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 am
Wormyrocks has not been back, there have been no updates to the project website and github for well over a year.
I am thinking we had our chains yanked for whatever reason....by more than just one person probably.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:43 am

Somebody wanted a government grant.
Either they didn't get funding--or they did--
--den dey split wit de clams.