OT:::::Airbreak: Airsense S10 firmware hack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wormyrocks

OT:::::Airbreak: Airsense S10 firmware hack

Post by wormyrocks » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 am

Hi!
I contributed to this project and would be happy to answer questions about it.

Jas_williams

Airbreak

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:28 pm

For those that are interested details on reflashing a Resmed Autoset 10 and other cool stuff.

Putting it out there for information.

https://airbreak.dev/

Hexus

Airbreak.dev has released instructions on how to jailbreak Airsense 10 CPAP

Post by Hexus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:09 pm

https://airbreak.dev/

What do you all think?

Hexus

Re: Airbreak.dev has released instructions on how to jailbreak Airsense 10 CPAP

Post by Hexus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 pm

zonker wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:15 pm
this needs to go here-

viewtopic/t178870/COVID-19-CPAP-Ventila ... lease.html
Ok I posted a comment on the thread. I would LOVE to be able to jailbreak my device but am not quite sure how to go about doing it. There is a risk to bricking the device so I would like to see the community get some more information and experience with this firmware.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 pm

I am going to leave one thread for AirBreak separate and there are several others...I will put them all in here.
So this thread is just for the AirBreak discussion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

littlebuddha

Re: OT:::::Airbreak: Airsense S10 firmware hack

Post by littlebuddha » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:23 pm

wormyrocks wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 am
Hi!
I'll bite. Does iVAPS on this device offer AutoEPAP? The international Lumis 150 VPAP ST has it while the US AirCurve models apparently do not. Also I'd be curious if it potentially allows adjustment of fall time in addition to rise time. Afaik though only the Stellar (and probably Astral) 150 allow adjusting the fall time.

Hexus

Post by Hexus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:48 pm

wormyrocks wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 am
Hi!
I have a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (APAP). Will I be able to flash the firmware on my device? I am a bit of a noob and the technical language is a bit much as I do not know programming or electronic flashing devices pretty much at all. I am awaiting for the Windows instructions.

What would you say is the toughest part jailbreaking the CPAP device is? How did you contribute? Thanks!

Edit: Also some people say that modding the firmware on a CPAP to perform iVAPS, BIPAP, etc. functions will put undue stress on the device as the CPAP's hardware is not built for these more complex functionalities. Personally, I was under the impression that the only difference with these Resmed line of devices is what is locked or unlocked in the firmware and that the hardware is basically the same. What is your input on this?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:33 pm

Hexus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:48 pm
Also some people say that modding the firmware on a CPAP to perform iVAPS, BIPAP, etc. functions will put undue stress on the device as the CPAP's hardware is not built for these more complex functionalities. Personally, I was under the impression that the only difference with these Resmed line of devices is what is locked or unlocked in the firmware and that the hardware is basically the same. What is your input on this?
Those people have never taken apart multiple CPAPs.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Hexus

Post by Hexus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:42 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:33 pm
Hexus wrote:
Also some people say that modding the firmware on a CPAP to perform iVAPS, BIPAP, etc. functions will put undue stress on the device as the CPAP's hardware is not built for these more complex functionalities. Personally, I was under the impression that the only difference with these Resmed line of devices is what is locked or unlocked in the firmware and that the hardware is basically the same. What is your input on this?
Those people have never taken apart multiple CPAPs.
I wanted to say I heard of people taking them apart and saying they had the same components but was unsure if it was just an inner machination of my mind or actually reading it. Thanks palerider for confirming!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:51 pm

Dug out my P-R Fitlife--only worn about an hour--(incompatible with sleep).
Maybe that model could be modded for filtered or captured exhaust.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:22 am

Hexus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 pm
Ok I posted a comment on the thread. I would LOVE to be able to jailbreak my device but am not quite sure how to go about doing it. There is a risk to bricking the device so I would like to see the community get some more information and experience with this firmware.
Hexus wrote:
I have a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset (APAP). Will I be able to flash the firmware on my device? I am a bit of a noob and the technical language is a bit much as I do not know programming or electronic flashing devices pretty much at all. I am awaiting for the Windows instructions.

What would you say is the toughest part jailbreaking the CPAP device is? How did you contribute? Thanks!
This is not a software only upgrade like "jail breaking" phones.

It requires having a circuit programmer and interface:
ST-Link/V2 programmer
TC2050-IDC Interface

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:30 am

On the dev site, it expressly says:
AirBreak.dev wrote:Our changes bring the Airsense S10 to near feature parity with BiPAP machines from the same manufacturer, boost the maximum pressure output available, and provide a starting point to add more advanced emergency ventilator functionality.
This suggests (probably for legal purposes) that it may work temporarily, but they don't imply this machine is durable enough to withstand the pressures necessary for continued use in this fashion, nor that it is a full stand-in for a ventilator. Also, it's labeled "not yet for human use," and "not yet FDA approved."

I wonder how ResMed will respond, given that this is a GitHub open-source hack of their proprietary hardware/software that basically unlocks the entire system. So far, ResMed has not come up with its own unlock firmware. Neither has Respironics.

I wonder if this would work on all AirSense 10 machines.

The fact that there is an extension library so hackers can essentially "Magic Lantern" this machine is incredible. Imagine adding data to your report screen that you actually want. (Magic Lantern is a hack for several Canon Mirrorless and DSLR cameras that allows people to use the camera in ways that go far beyond Canon's original capabilities. It breathed life into old cameras. This is a similar situation. And yes, I verbed "magic lantern.")

Obviously, if you've got a spare AS10 lying around and you've got the electronic equipment required and you're a good hacker, have at it, but maybe let's not do this to the machines we're using for our own therapy unless it's absolutely necessary. Also, newbies who are just starting on the AirSense 10 probably shouldn't think, "Well, I'm taking my therapy in my own hands... Maybe I'd be better off using a more advanced therapy... Let's try this." Mmmmm... No. Let's resist that temptation. If you're just starting XPAP therapy, now is not the time to transform your already incredible piece of machinery. Let's crawl before we walk.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

littlebuddha

Post by littlebuddha » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:30 am
I wonder how ResMed will respond, given that this is a GitHub open-source hack of their proprietary hardware/software that basically unlocks the entire system. So far, ResMed has not come up with its own unlock firmware. Neither has Respironics.
I'm not involved in this project but as a software developer my take of the situation after reading the website is that essentially the software as shipped by ResMed has full capabilities for all treatment modes. However they have turned off certain modes based on how much they were paid for the device. Ie it's a configuration setting that tells the software what to offer the patient.

So maybe the only thing that ResMed would have to do in order to ship an "unlock firmware" is take the existing software, change configuration settings, and package it up for installation on hardware. It's reasonably likely that Philips does the same thing. Also granted I'm ignoring the FDA approval process that may or may not apply.

I'm seriously considering buying a new AutoSet just to play with this.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:57 pm

littlebuddha wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm not involved in this project but as a software developer my take of the situation after reading the website is that essentially the software as shipped by ResMed has full capabilities for all treatment modes. However they have turned off certain modes based on how much they were paid for the device. Ie it's a configuration setting that tells the software what to offer the patient.

So maybe the only thing that ResMed would have to do in order to ship an "unlock firmware" is take the existing software, change configuration settings, and package it up for installation on hardware. It's reasonably likely that Philips does the same thing. Also granted I'm ignoring the FDA approval process that may or may not apply.

I'm seriously considering buying a new AutoSet just to play with this.
Why would you buy a new AutoSet, instead of an AS 10 CPAP?

My biggest concern with this process is none of my firmware versions on my machines are SX567-401, the process appears to be:
  • save firmware,
  • patch,
  • flash patched firmware
Though, there is a note about contacting them if you're not on SX567-401.