How to run a ResMed AirMini on a USB power bank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
userfit

Re: How to run a ResMed AirMini on a USB power bank

Post by userfit » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Franken wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm
Finally got around to making one and am thankful to all that contributed their knowledge for this. Here’s a picture of one of them. I proceeded to make 3.
Hi Franken, awesome!! (Or should I call you Dr. Franken??) I would love to buy one of these off of you, pretty please?? :D Please PM me, or lmk if that doesn't work, and I can shoot you alternate contact info!!

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Finally, I finished the project. Here are pictures of the front and back of the enclosure.

The enclosure is much bigger than needed. I might build a new, smaller one at some point, but this works for now.

The scuffing on the front is the result of me removing some nail polish that smeared. I decided to use a paper label instead to mark the output jack.
Attachments
cpapbox.jpg
cpapbox.jpg (173.8 KiB) Viewed 11140 times
cpapback.jpg
cpapback.jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 11140 times

Peritocles

Post by Peritocles » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi, I’m also new here, I found this site this week when Hurricane Dorian left me without energy and I wasn’t able to sleep cause my airmini isn’t compatible with USB Powerbanks

I’m looking to the pictures (Franken and pstecker) and i wonder how this connect the airmini? I mean the airmini power connector is proprietary what i need is something where I can plug my USB-c cable from the powerbank and the other side the proprietary Airmini connector. Isn’t it? or im missing something here?

I was looking the DC/DC car conector and i wonder if i cut the car part replacing it with a female USB-c plug will it work?

Any ideas?

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:17 am

Peritocles wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:30 pm
I’m looking to the pictures (Franken and pstecker) and i wonder how this connect the airmini? I mean the airmini power connector is proprietary what i need is something where I can plug my USB-c cable from the powerbank and the other side the proprietary Airmini connector. Isn’t it? or im missing something here?
This is the cable I bought: https://lofta.com/products/airmini-pilo ... 1633341487

Looks like it's out of stock now, hope that's temporary.

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 am

I've just returned from a European trip, where I brought my AirMini and the home-made power supply. I carried the power supply in the same travel bag as the AirMini. It did not attract the attention of the TSA nor the airport personnel in several European airports.

I wasn't sure I'd actually need the power supply, since I was staying in hotels. In most of the hotels, there was an outlet near the bed I could use to run the AirMini. At one hotel, there was no suitable power outlet near the bed, so I used the battery and power supply for three nights. According to the LEDs on the Anker battery, I used a bit less than half the capacity each night. In fact, I was able to recharge the battery after each use, but it appears the battery would be good for two nights.

threehappypenguins

Post by threehappypenguins » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:42 am

I was also affected by Hurricane Dorian, but in Nova Scotia, where (because of our poor infrastructure) left hundreds of thousands of customers without power in our province (and we only have less than a million people living here). Pretty much the entire province was dark (and a lot still have no power). It made for some pretty poor sleep for my husband. I'm also interested in making some kind of power supply to use with the Anker, because it's less expensive than some of the other options available here in Canada that have pre-made DC 12V outlets. And I plan to use something like this so that I can charge with my car during the day for extended power outages (I'll probably shop around or wait for it to be cheaper than $40, as it's even more because of 15% sales tax).

Could someone please explain exactly what I need to do to make this power cord because I am having a hard time following. From what I understand, I need this exact trigger tester but beyond that, I'm not exactly sure what I need. There are trigger cables and whatnot that apparently I need as well. And I have to purchase a 12V connector for my husband's ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset (I will turn off the humidifier and heated hose, but leave the humidifier in there for passive humidification), but I am not sure what I need. There are the ones like this for the Power Station II, or there's the extremely expensive ones with the cigarette lighter end. Or maybe this 12V to 24V one? But I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to get for this kind of set-up, and if I need to be cutting that wire and attaching/soldering it to something too. In order to run the ResMed 10 Airsense, according to this chart and my husband's max pressure at 15 (though he usually doesn't go over 10 in the night), I need a 12V current draw with at least 1.23A.

Just hoping for a tiny bit of hand holding here so I can get this all set up! Thanks!

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm

gork wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:21 pm
Hello all, I am new to CPAPTalk here, but wanted to share an interesting project that I have recently completed.

I built a cable to power my ResMed Air Mini from a USB power bank.
That may work for you, but that device can draw, at max, 27 watts, and few power banks can deliver THAT kind of power for long,
and you're risking a fire if you draw that for any length of time.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:43 pm

SDBud wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm
That may work for you, but that device can draw, at max, 27 watts, and few power banks can deliver THAT kind of power for long,
and you're risking a fire if you draw that for any length of time.
The average power consumption of the AirMin is spec'd at 6.3W, considerably less than the 27W peak rating.

The commercially-available power bank for the AirMini, the Medistrom Pilot Lite 24, is rated at 24V * 3.5A = 84W output.
I can't find a published rating for the Anker, but USB C Power Delivery allows up to 20V * 5A = 100W output. Both
power banks have a capacity at just under the airline limit of 100W-hours.

Given the likely sustained power consumption of the AirMini, and the fact that there's a presumably well-tested power
commercially-available power bank for it similar in capacity, I don't think there's a safety concern with using the Anker.

phli

Post by phli » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:32 pm

I don't have a solution for power-up AirMini with a USB port power bank. But I do have a similar need - How to power-up AirMini on a power bank? I bought RedMed AirMini CPAP a year ago for my business travel. Since then, It has been a "must" gear when I go to Asia. The only problem is I can't use it for a long flight. I started looking for a solution online. The most of battery pack designed for CPAP are all above $300. On the other hand, It is hard to find regular battery pack offers DC output up to 24V with decent power rate. The second best option is those products with AC output. But that also means I have to carry an AC adapter onboard airplane. Moreover, the AC adapter also takes some juice off when doing power conversion. When traveling, I want to pack as light as possible therefore bringing an extra AC adaptor just for the battery pack is also out of question. Until I found the Omni Mobile 25600mAh. It comes with DC 5.5x2.1 power jacket. All I need to do is to buy a DC jacket adapter power cable ( $29.95) for AirMini. Now I have a perfect solution – I spend less than $180 (with tax and shipping) to turn on AirMini in the airplane without carrying AC adaptor. This unit offers almost the same power capacity ( 92Wh vs. 95Wh) at the exact same weight but $160 less comparing to P_t 24. I made a mockup of P_t 24 to compare the size between two products. You can judge by yourself. Best of all, it can be recharged with any standard USB AC charger with USB-A to USB-C cable (come with the unit). I actually charge it with my Lenovo ThinkPad P52s AC adaptor which comes with USB-C PD port. Not to mention all other features as a battery pack should have ( USB-A QC-3 port x2, USB-C, and wireless charger). Even within all OmniCharge products, I think Omni Mobile 25600mAh is the best product that balances the power capacity and features for CPAP application and the cost. With its DC output, there is no reason it can't work with other CPAP models running at either 12V DC or 24V DC. All you need to do is to find the proper DC power adapter cable ( from 5.5 x2.1 DC male) to your machine's power receptacle. I bought my Omni Mobile from their Amazon store and received it the very second day with Prime shipping service. I hope this info helps people who are also looking for CPAP battery solution
Attachments
AirMini with Omni Mobile.jpg
AirMini with Omni Mobile.jpg (100.27 KiB) Viewed 10880 times
Last edited by phli on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Holocron

Post by Holocron » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:14 pm

phli wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:32 pm
All I need to do is to buy a DC jacket adapter power cable ( $29.00) for AirMini.
Where did you get the cable to go from the DC out on the Omnicharge to Airmini? I looked everywhere online and they all seem to be sold out. I eventually found a 12v battery to 24v airmini adapter from Battery Power Solutions that looks like the one in your photos, but that converter cost $67.00. Where did you get the cable only for $29?

Additional Comments: Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier for daily use. (Not listed above) Airmini for travel.
Daily Driver (normally sans recall): Phillips SystemOne w/ Humidifier / DreamWear Nasal Cushion
Travel Unit (now currently daily driver during recall): ResMed Airmini / AirFit P10

phli

Post by phli » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:04 pm

If you google "AirMini 24V Power Converter Output Cable", there are quite a few sources selling only the cable.
I got it from "CPAP battery shop" web site. Here is the direct link
https://www.cpapbatteryshop.com/store/p ... Cable.html

You can also get it from here
https://caremedicalsource.com/battery-p ... put-cable/

or here
https://www.sleeprestfully.com/AirMini- ... Cable-Only

If you want even cheaper one, this website (https://lofta.com/products/airmini-pilo ... 1633341487) selling for only $19. It is actually the same cable come with P__T 24 ( black color). But they are temporary out of stock. Both black and white cables should work fine with Omni Mobile based on psteckler's feedback
Last edited by phli on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:30 pm

phli wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:04 pm
If you want even cheaper one, this website (https://lofta.com/products/airmini-pilo ... 1633341487) selling for only $19. It is actually the same cable come with P__T 24 ( black color). But they are temporary out of stock. Moreover, their DC end is not the most popular 5.5x2.1 mm format. If using Omni Mobile, it requires a jacket adaptor to match the Omni Mobile DC output port.
Does the white cable have a different barrel size?

phli

Post by phli » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:44 pm

I can't 100% sure. But the white cable with "the most popular" DC port jacket (5.5 x 2.1 mm) that can plug and play to Omni Mobile battery.
The black one from P__t 24 seems use smaller diameter head. You can compare them in picture.
white vs. black cable.jpg
white vs. black cable.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 10805 times

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:53 pm

phli wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:44 pm
I can't 100% sure. But the white cable with "the most popular" DC port jacket (5.5 x 2.1 mm) that can plug and play to Omni Mobile battery.
The black one from P__t 24 seems use smaller diameter head.
I'm using the black cable with a 5.5 x 2.5mm jack in the power supply I built, no adapter needed.

phli

Post by phli » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:57 am

I guess both black and white cables would work for Omni Mobile. I have updated my post based on your input