How to run a ResMed AirMini on a USB power bank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
psteckler

Re: How to run a ResMed AirMini on a USB power bank

Post by psteckler » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Bad news: the combination of the Anker power bank and trigger cable I acquired doesn't seem to be enough to drive the boost module.

If I connect the USB C charger, provided with the power bank, to the trigger cable, and connect the trigger cable to the boost module, I can adjust the screw on the module to get a steady 24.5 VDC output.

Substituting the power bank for the charger, the output from the boost module measures in millivolts, no matter the screw setting.

The charger and power bank are both rated for 30 W output; it seems the charger is providing more actual power.

The only difference between the setup and the one originally suggested by gork is the trigger cable. As mentioned, the trigger cable I have asks for 65-80 W input, so I'm using it out-of-spec, hence the result described here is not wholly unexpected, if disappointing.

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Instead of a dedicated trigger cable, it may be possible to use a trigger poller module like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZY12PDN-Type-C ... 2745937609

But I think these require pushing a button to request the needed voltage, which is a bit annoying.

UPDATE: reading the eBay post, if I understand, you can save the requested voltage setting, so the button twiddling should
be unnecessary.

UPDATE 2: it looks like this poller is exactly what's in the trigger cable I already have, so not likely to work.

sarkanik

Post by sarkanik » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 am

psteckler wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:16 pm
Instead of a dedicated trigger cable, it may be possible to use a trigger poller module like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZY12PDN-Type-C ... 2745937609

But I think these require pushing a button to request the needed voltage, which is a bit annoying.

UPDATE: reading the eBay post, if I understand, you can save the requested voltage setting, so the button twiddling should
be unnecessary.

UPDATE 2: it looks like this poller is exactly what's in the trigger cable I already have, so not likely to work.
I have ordered this one:

https://www.ebuy7.com/item/571760548128

As soon as I receive it I will try it and let you know.

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 pm

Yes, that's the same one that was on Amazon, branded as MakerHawk. In fact, I ordered the same one a couple of days ago from Aliexpress (for significantly more!). Amusingly,
on Aliexpress, it's called a "deception line" instead of a "spoof line".

I may wish to use the cable for other purposes, so I'm interested in programming it via the USB A connector. If you receive information on how to do that, it'd be great if you can
share that.

sarkanik

Post by sarkanik » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 am

psteckler wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 pm
Yes, that's the same one that was on Amazon, branded as MakerHawk. In fact, I ordered the same one a couple of days ago from Aliexpress (for significantly more!). Amusingly,
on Aliexpress, it's called a "deception line" instead of a "spoof line".

I may wish to use the cable for other purposes, so I'm interested in programming it via the USB A connector. If you receive information on how to do that, it'd be great if you can
share that.
There is a software called "WITRN Upgrade" which is used to upload the profiles to cable. There also come some default profiles (from 5V to 20V) with program.

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:28 pm

There is a software called "WITRN Upgrade" which is used to upload the profiles to cable.
Do you know where that's available? The Aliexpress page for the cable has a link to a ZIP file on the WITRN Web site, but the link is dead.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:02 pm

psteckler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:28 pm
There is a software called "WITRN Upgrade" which is used to upload the profiles to cable.
Do you know where that's available? The Aliexpress page for the cable has a link to a ZIP file on the WITRN Web site, but the link is dead.
Google is Your Friend! Scroll down under video to link.

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http ... U1NTM0ODA5
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:02 pm
That's a different WITRN product, a power monitor, and uses different software, as far as I can tell.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm

psteckler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm
Goofproof wrote:
That's a different WITRN product, a power monitor, and uses different software, as far as I can tell.
Put the name in Google, more come up that was the first one, maybe the others will be correct. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

sarkanik

Post by sarkanik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:02 am

psteckler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm
Goofproof wrote:
Use the download link at the bottom of this page (copy the whole download link including chinese symbols).

http://www.easyfami.com/item.php?id=571760548128

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Sat May 11, 2019 5:36 pm

sarkanik wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 am
I have ordered this one:

https://www.ebuy7.com/item/571760548128

As soon as I receive it I will try it and let you know.
My cable arrived earlier this week, and today I got a chance to test it.

I connected the cable to my half-discharged Anker powerbank, and to the boost board. I connected a
multimeter to the output of the boost board, and without messing with the voltage adjustment screw,
saw a steady 27.8 VDC. Great!

So now I'm confident I can rig up the whole system.

One small issue: the cable has a long barrel, about 12mm. The 5.5x2.5mm panel jack I got for it doesn't
allow the barrel to be inserted fully. I'm trying to find another jack that will allow that. I'd rather use a
jack instead of wiring the cable directly to the boost board.

psteckler

Post by psteckler » Wed May 15, 2019 7:23 pm

gork wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:21 pm
4) A cable to plug into the AirMini. The thing uses a proprietary connector and for the life of me I searched for a compatible part but came up short. I haven't found a less expensive source than the $29 replacement cable for the aforementioned Medistrom Pilot-24. https://www.respshop.com/cpap-supplies/ ... -1218.html
I was able to get the cable for a bit less, $19 + tax: https://buyminicpap.com/products/pilot- ... or-airmini

As others have mentioned, the battery side has a 5.5x2.5mm barrel plug. That's the same as the trigger cable I got, so I plan to use a dab
of nail polish on the cables to color-code them.

mrblack

Post by mrblack » Wed May 22, 2019 10:54 am

my setup for HDM Z1

Method 1
XIAOMI Mi PowerBank 20000mAh V3 Pro TYPE-C PLM07ZM
QC2.0/QC3.0/MTK-PE USB Trigger Tester

The QC2.0/QC3.0/MTK-PE USB Trigger Tester using QC2.0 Trigger function will trick the powerbank to pump out 12V...just nice to power the HDM Z1.
Can power for 2 (8 hours) nights on a fully charged powerbank

Method 2

GoalZero Sherpa 50 or 100

12V output, use DC-DC adapter plug to direct connect to HDM Z1. Sherpa50 can last for 4hours.

note: I have tried using Aukey PB-T11 for method 1... doesn't work.

Franken

Post by Franken » Sun May 26, 2019 2:33 am

Hi I’m new here but am very fascinated by this thread and project. I am no electronics guy but really wish to make one. Could someone post pictures of working unit? I need some help making mine. Thanks in advance.

Franken

Post by Franken » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Finally got around to making one and am thankful to all that contributed their knowledge for this. Here’s a picture of one of them. I proceeded to make 3.
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (428.75 KiB) Viewed 10838 times