Do asv machines eliminate centrals?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chapalauser

Do asv machines eliminate centrals?

Post by Chapalauser » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:48 am

Have been treated for sleep apnea for 10 months. Started with an ahi above 40 and now am down to 8 comprised of almost all centrals with an occasional obstructive. Currently using a resmed aircurve 10 vauto. I seem to be stalled at this level . My question is- will an asv machine eliminate my centrals? I do not have heart problems. I would appreciate hearing from current asv users who have gone through the process. What are the pro and cons?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Do asv machines eliminate centrals?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 am

Chapalauser wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:48 am
Have been treated for sleep apnea for 10 months.
What was your diagnosis? Obstructive? Central? Mixed?
Chapalauser wrote:
My question is- will an asv machine eliminate my centrals?
Likely --->
Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) is a non-invasive ventilatory treatment option created specifically for the treatment of adults who have obstructive sleep apnea and central and/or complex sleep apnea.

https://www.aastweb.org/blog/what-is-asv
Chapalauser wrote:
now am down to 8 comprised of almost all centrals with an occasional obstructive.
We really need to look at those centrals, when they happen and how long they are.

The best thing to do is download the free OSCAR software and post some charts here. Please keep the discussion to this thread so members can follow your history easily.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:29 am

ASV machines when optimally configured will deal with obstructive apneas and breathe for you when you don't breathe on your own (and that's what a central apnea is).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm far from and expert only been on therapy for the past 6 weeks......

I was diagnosed with severe complex apnea and perscribed an ASV machine. I have seen an AHI score of .9-2.6 on my machine down from an average of 60 combined without, so it would seem it seems to be doing the job.

Haven't felt this good in 20 years!

Chapalauser

Post by Chapalauser » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 am

CrazyCooter wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 pm

I was diagnosed with severe complex apnea and perscribed an ASV machine. I have seen an AHI score of .9-2.6 on my machine down from an average of 60 combined without, so it would seem it seems to be doing the job.

Thanks for your response. What is the composition of your current ahi- ie centrals, obstructives, etc?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:29 am

CrazyCooter wrote:

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:35 am

There is not enough information here to determine whether the centrals were happening back in the BC (before CPAP) era.

If they were not, you probably do not need an ASV machine. If they were, you really need to consult with a sleep doctor who is a neurologist.

CrazyCooter

Post by CrazyCooter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Chapalauser wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 am
CrazyCooter wrote:

Thanks for your response. What is the composition of your current ahi- ie centrals, obstructives, etc?
How would I know that? Is is something I could get from looking over data via Oscar? The front display on the machine does not break them down.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:46 pm

CrazyCooter wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:03 pm
Chapalauser wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 am
CrazyCooter wrote:

How would I know that? Is is something I could get from looking over data via Oscar? The front display on the machine does not break them down.
yes. pls see the link to download oscar in my signature below.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:45 pm

CrazyCooter wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:03 pm
All the regulars here use OSCAR because it is a powerful tool.

I don't have your machine brand, but I do believe you see more of a breakdown of AHI if you know how to get into the clinical report menu. Here is how to unlock the display by holding down two buttons for a few seconds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc4EGBGUNeI

Chapalauser

Post by Chapalauser » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:34 pm

D.H. wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:35 am
There is not enough information here to determine whether the centrals were happening back in the BC (before CPAP) era.

If they were not, you probably do not need an ASV machine. If they were, you really need to consult with a sleep doctor who is a neurologist.
There were no centrals in my 2 sleep studies, the first last July and the second in late September. The first study i had an ahi of 66.7 and my recollection was that the large majority were hypopneas and secondly, obstructives. No centrals. The second study had an ahi of 21 with hypopneas 13.2, obstructives 7.2 , centrals 0 and other apneas o.6. So it seems my machines have created the centrals. I am now a side sleeper as my results are the worst when I sleep on my back. My current settings are ps 4, 4.0-11.0. I am looking for a quick solution and thought an asv was the answer. Seeing my sleep doc who is a neurologist, next week.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:10 am

Chapalauser wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:34 pm
Seeing my sleep doc who is a neurologist, next week.
It will be a mistake to run out and get an ASV without first doing this --->
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 am
We really need to look at those centrals, when they happen and how long they are.

The best thing to do is download the free OSCAR software and post some charts here. Please keep the discussion to this thread so members can follow your history easily.
I have a suspicion that what you are identifying as centrals are merely breathing irregularities during the transition from awake to sleep. These are normal and do not require treatment.

Show us the money!

Oops, I meant data.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:29 pm

ASV machines do not eliminate central apneas but, if the pressures (i.e., prescribed pressures) are correct, then they can treat and sometimes truncate them.
For me BP (before pneumothorax), my pressures were much higher than prescribed now. Then, you would see in the data a central start and be clipped off by my machine sometimes within a single breathing cycle. Now, AP (after the pneumothorax) centrals occur and the machine is more limited in the pressure response and the central do continue for a while. Apparently I react differently with the machine cycling between 10 cmH2O and 20 cmH2O and cycling between 15 cmH2O and 25 cmh2O. The pressure differential is still 10 cmH2O but I react differently. Meanwhile, the machine breathes for me as it is designed to do. A couple of weeks ago I experienced an extended duration central apnea episode. It lasted just over 30 minutes but my AHI for the night was still below the magic number of 5. That was very unusual for me.

So, my Philips ASV machine does not eliminate CSA events but it does treat them so I don't suffer the consequences.

As always, collect the data, show it to your sleep doctor and the two of you decide what to do.
Dial winging with an ASV machine is not such a good idea.

If you can use the ResMed software, do that. If you can use the OSCAR software, do that. In any event collect the data.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:38 pm

JDS74 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:29 pm
ASV machines do not eliminate central apneas
If they're working properly, they do, just like a properly working and set up CPAP eliminates obstructive apneas.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Chapalauser

Post by Chapalauser » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:31 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 am
Chapalauser wrote:
Have been treated for sleep apnea for 10 months.
What was your diagnosis? Obstructive? Central? Mixed?
Chapalauser wrote:
My question is- will an asv machine eliminate my centrals?
Likely --->
Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) is a non-invasive ventilatory treatment option created specifically for the treatment of adults who have obstructive sleep apnea and central and/or complex sleep apnea.

https://www.aastweb.org/blog/what-is-asv
Chapalauser wrote:
now am down to 8 comprised of almost all centrals with an occasional obstructive.

I have attached a sleepyhead screenshot
I am having a problem attaching a screenshot