CPAP Friendly Hotels

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Re: CPAP Friendly Hotels

Post by D.H. » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 am

Ok, I guess it's time to reframe some of this in the negative. Specifically, I've encountered the following:

1) There are no beside electrical sockets. In at least two cases, this required 18 ft. (5½ meters) worth of extension cords.
2) A bedside table so small, I had to remove the lamp to be able to place the CPAP there.
3) An occupied electrical socket requiring the displacement of at least one lamp or appliance. In one case, it was not possible to plug in both the heater and the CPAP (fortunately, I had packed a reverse adapter).
4) An electrical socket other than the one listed for the country in question. In one case, it was the Italian/Chilean type in Romania, in another case it was the UK type in Vietnam.

Last edited by D.H. on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

This post makes a little more sense - your first one seemed like you wanted us to protest the hospitality industry - or at least call our Congressman to lobby for equal rights for CPAP users.

You could title it this: Beware of travel outside the US with a CPAP machine -or electrical outlets I've met outside the US.

The only electrical dilemma I encountered was in Italy where they didn't have outlets in the bathroom. This was in a villa (house) in Tuscany. I had to dry my hair NOT using a mirror. I survived.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:01 am

For goodness sake.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am

My House have everything I need, what I don't need is to travel. Cuts down on complaining! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:21 pm

D.H. wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 am
Specifically, I've encountered the following:
The world is far from perfect, but most major chain hotels world-wide will have an adequate supply of power outlets in useful locations.

Local hotels, AirBnB etc anywhere are an entirely different proposition, and there is really no point in complaining here about them. If you want to use that sort of accommodation while travelling, you need to carry adequate power accessories to cope with whatever you may encounter. :idea:

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:23 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am
My House have everything I need, what I don't need is to travel. Cuts down on complaining! Jim
Ok, if that works for you fine! However, many of want to or have to travel.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:26 pm

billbolton wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:21 pm
D.H. wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 am
Specifically, I've encountered the following:
The world is far from perfect, but most major chain hotels world-wide will have an adequate supply of power outlets in useful locations.

Local hotels, AirBnB etc anywhere are an entirely different proposition, and there is really no point in complaining here about them. If you want to use that sort of accommodation while travelling, you need to carry adequate power accessories to cope with whatever you may encounter. :idea:
None of these were BnB, and none were of a similar ilk. They were all hotels from tour packages.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:20 am

Aha! Tour packages. That explains everything.
"Shyster Travel--We can get you there--and probably back, too."
Any crook can call themselves a travel agent---and probably DID.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:06 am

D.H. wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:26 pm
None of these were BnB, and none were of a similar ilk. They were all hotels from tour packages.
Sounds like there was a lot of 'ilk'.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:25 am

Yes, haven't had any problems setting up my cpap in hotels or motels. I take a power strip with a 15' cord with me when we travel, since we have several mobile devices that we want to charge all night as well as the cpap. And one of those travel version tubing hangers for comfort. I guess I consider it at least partly my responsibility to provide for my cpap use...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:20 am
If "Boxcar Willy Traveling", D.H. is going to need more than three of those 100 ft extension cords. Wait for Train to come to a full stop before plugging the extension cords. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:43 am

Goofproof wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41 am
chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:20 am
If "Boxcar Willy Traveling", D.H. is going to need more than three of those 100 ft extension cords. Wait for Train to come to a full stop before plugging the extension cords. Jim
The tour company - no matter how good - can only put you in the best hotel available at a given location. Remember, what I described is livable, as long as you're prepared. If you want to stay in places that might be relatively remote, you will encounter some of what I described.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:51 am

RogerSC wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:25 am
Yes, haven't had any problems setting up my cpap in hotels or motels. I take a power strip with a 15' cord with me when we travel, since we have several mobile devices that we want to charge all night as well as the cpap. And one of those travel version tubing hangers for comfort. I guess I consider it at least partly my responsibility to provide for my cpap use...
If you're staying only in the U.S. and/or Canada, this would probably work. Remember that some power strips (most of the better ones) are surge suppressors, and cannot be used in countries where the voltage is significantly different (most countries outside the Americas and a few within). Note that almost all phone chargers, battery/camera chargers, and portable computers, and CPAP machines are compatible with the higher voltages overseas. You will still need an adapter, since the socket configuration is different.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:05 am

I use all the outlets in my bedroom and have to unplug stuff just to charge my laptops :lol:.

Sometimes the outlets in hotels are filled with power strips and you have to reach under the bed to pull the strip out from under the bed to unplug something to make room for your device. Or you go to plug your device into the desk lamp and the outlet is super flimsy and the connector hardly stays in the outlet.

When I travel I try to stay in above average hotels and will spend some extra time to find a deal to make the price reasonable. I hate sleeping anywhere but my own bed so it's all to make the suffering less.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:17 am

raisedfist wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:05 am
I use all the outlets in my bedroom and have to unplug stuff just to charge my laptops :lol:.

Sometimes the outlets in hotels are filled with power strips and you have to reach under the bed to pull the strip out from under the bed to unplug something to make room for your device. Or you go to plug your device into the desk lamp and the outlet is super flimsy and the connector hardly stays in the outlet.

When I travel I try to stay in above average hotels and will spend some extra time to find a deal to make the price reasonable. I hate sleeping anywhere but my own bed so it's all to make the suffering less.
I have 6 power strips in my bedroom alone, daisy chained, for the most part. Some to turn things on/off, most low power items, so no overload on the house wiring. The Living room also has 6 for the same reason. :wink: No 100 Ft extension, cords, just 1 @ 6 ft one. Jim