Do we need to order pulse/oximeters soon without prescription?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
camper

Do we need to order pulse/oximeters soon without prescription?

Post by camper » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 pm

I may be completely wrong about this, but if you want a recording Pulse/Oximeter, and don't want to have to get a prescription for it, you may want to order yours soon.

I arbitrarily chose a CMS50D+, the cheapest unit that OSCAR can import data from, though you have to start recording from it and the CPAP machine at the same time to time tag it.

( OSCAR says it can import data from
Contec CMS50D+, CMS50E, CMS50F, CMS50I
Pulox PO-200, PO-300, PO400
ChoiceMMed MD300W1 )

Most of the eBay ads for recording pulse/oximeters(from Contec) now carry this notice:
The sale of this item may be subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and state and local regulatory agencies. If so, do not bid on this item unless you are an authorized purchaser. If the item is subject to FDA regulation, I will verify your status as an authorized purchaser of this item before shipping of the item.
Most of the Amazon ads carry a similar notice.

That wasn't true several days ago. I don't know if there has been a change - e.g., if the product just got FDA approval, which might mean you need a prescription to buy the most recent units???

So I ordered mine through Walmart marketplace, which doesn't carry such a notice - perhaps they are shipping older units that didn't yet have FDA approval... It is also my hope that if it doesn't work (the reviews are mixed), Walmart will help.

Why do I want a Pulse/Oximeter? Mostly silly curiosity. But also, some sources say low oxygen events might possibly disrupt biochemistry (e.g., maybe cause or worsen Diabetes), maybe contribute to or cause Alzheimer's, and/or by forcing the heart to work harder, maybe contribute to heart disease. Your CPAP machine can detect how often you more or less stop breathing. (OSCAR may be able to give you more detailed info.) But there are more parameters that affect blood oxygen levels - e.g., how full of air your lungs are at the time - that your CPAP machine might have trouble guessing unless you buy the CPAP manufacturer's own oximeter module - which are much more expensive.

Anyway - maybe I have this all wrong, and there is no problem, and I panicked for no reason. Oh well.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Do we need to order pulse/oximeters soon without prescription?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:09 am

Sounds like high pressure sales talk to me.
Maybe some STATES are considering this--like some of the backwards ones.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:33 am

camper wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 pm
I may be completely wrong about this,
Oh, there's a shocker.
camper wrote:
Most of the eBay ads for recording pulse/oximeters(from Contec) now carry this notice:
The sale of this item may be subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and state and local regulatory agencies. If so, do not bid on this item unless you are an authorized purchaser. If the item is subject to FDA regulation, I will verify your status as an authorized purchaser of this item before shipping of the item.
Ya know, your lame attempts at trying to get attention are... well, lame.

Quoting the REST of the 'notice':
eBay wrote: Buy safe products

The following FDA Disclaimer is required for all eBay listing in Healthcare category and is included for REFERENCE: The sale of this item may be subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and state and local regulatory agencies. If the item is subject to FDA regulation, we will verify your status as an authorized purchaser of this item before shipping of the item.
camper wrote:
Most of the Amazon ads carry a similar notice.
No they (Amazon listings, spelled out for trolls with poor reading comprehension) don't. I checked 11 different listings, not ONE mention of this eBay required disclaimer.

Yeah, I know, you made me waste a few minutes.

Last edited by palerider on Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

camper

Post by camper » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:32 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:33 am
No they don't. I checked 11 different ads, not ONE mention of this eBay required disclaimer.
I made a quick check on Amazon for a specific device, found one or two ads that said something similar, which I can't find at the moment, though it was worded differently. How odd.

So, I panicked, when I could have spent more time figuring out what device would best meet my needs, and maybe getting a better deal. I don't even know whether finger-tip-clamp devices work better than wrist-contact devices.

That eBay notice could really discourage a lot of people's orders.

Rexlan

Post by Rexlan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:40 am

No, LAMErider didn't check anything or can't read. Just a forum queen with a big mouth and seldom, if ever helpful.
You got the notice correct.

Maybe if you get lucky you will make LAMEriders ignore list like me ... :lol:

camper wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:32 am
palerider wrote:
No they don't. I checked 11 different ads, not ONE mention of this eBay required disclaimer.
I made a quick check on Amazon for a specific device, found one or two ads that said something similar, which I can't find at the moment, though it was worded differently. How odd.

So, I panicked, when I could have spent more time figuring out what device would best meet my needs, and maybe getting a better deal. I don't even know whether finger-tip-clamp devices work better than wrist-contact devices.

NoOnesPerfect

Post by NoOnesPerfect » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:45 am

FDA has two different approaches to pulse oximeters depending on the intended use. For home use in monitoring general health (similar to blood pressure cuffs), it is not subject to FDA review or regulation. If it is marketed for use in treating a specific condition, or if it is used in a clinical setting, it may be considered a type II medical device, and be subject to FDA regulation and may require a prescription (like xPAP). From what I remember from my days working for a company that made a device subject to FDA approval, you could have an identical device sold with different packaging and claims to the two different markets, and have one require FDA approval while the other did not. That was 30 years ago, so my memory might be faulty. At any rate, for companies that sell to both markets, they often show the FDA approval on all packaging, even when not required, just for the perceived marketing benefit.

I can’t imagine any circumstances where a prescription would be needed for a pulse oximeter like the ones you buy at the drug store, but who knows - this IS a government agency we are talking about.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 am

Rexlan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:40 am
No, LAMErider didn't check anything or can't read. Just a forum queen with a big mouth and seldom, if ever helpful.

camper wrote:
palerider wrote:

A person with a user name that resembles EXLAX should not be making fun of another person's name. That's a shitty thing to do.

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am

Rexlan wrote:

camper wrote:
palerider wrote:

Not sure if troll or not, but I checked several different ones on Amazon and Palerider is correct here. You are, in fact, the one that's wrong. The majority of them simply had a legal disclaimer saying that they're for pilots or athletes, hence, they are not "medical devices". Since they're not medical devices, the FDA has no control of them.

Not really all that hard to debunk the dumb, now please refrain from the ad hominem attacks, they're a favorite fallacy tactic of someone who has zero credibility or correct information and simply cannot refute something.

If you'd like to have a debate on facts or logical analysis, I'm sure many here would be your huckleberry.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:06 am

Palerider does not lie about his research.
Unlike some others, his primary focus is on the TRUTH, not attention-getting.
He does have a bit of a problem with those who like to troll and bully.
Nobody is perfect.

NoOnesPerfect

Post by NoOnesPerfect » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:09 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:06 am
He does have a bit of a problem with those who like to troll and bully.
Nobody is perfect.
My mother used to call that a low tolerance for stupidity.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:12 am

Rexlan wrote:

headshake.gif
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Rexlan

Post by Rexlan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am

@LSAT - Another forum queen -- If you can't deal with the facts then step behind the barn and shoot yourself like the ass you usually make of yourself. This isn't your first rodeo at it.

OP made a simple statement that is CORRECT and of course your forum bully buddy LAMErider jumped right in with BS... if you can read then check for yourself. He did not say it was required - just that the warning is there and I agree. It is also e-Bay's doing - CYA.

Deal with it. I am done --- yep a troll.

@NoOnesPerfect got it exactly right IMO. All CYA on e-Bay, Amazon

@Midwest_non_sleeper .. no, you are completely wrong ... check e-Bay where OP referenced and LAMErider said none existed. Now you're carrying the water - stupid.
LSAT wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 am
Rexlan wrote:

camper wrote:
palerider wrote:

A person with a user name that resembles EXLAX should not be making fun of another person's name. That's a shitty thing to do.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:57 am

To answer the post, "No!" A Pulse Oximeter, is just one tool in the box, Like Fitbit but a little more useful. However it doesn't give you much gain in the treatment of Sleep Apnea, maybe something more to obsess over, good for keeping your blood pressure up, and your bank account lower. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Rexlan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am
If you can't deal with the facts then step behind the barn and shoot yourself like the ass you usually make of yourself.
You first. After I see an expert show the proper technique, I'll maybe give it a shot.
Trust me. :wink:
JPB

Last edited by jimbud on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:26 pm

jimbud wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 pm
Rexlan wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am
If you can't deal with the facts then step behind the barn and shoot yourself like the ass you usually make of yourself.
You first. After I see an expert show the proper technique, I'll may give it a shot.
Trust me. :wink:
JPB
Good one.
[Extended applause]