fisher paykel icon no power

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brownboy

Re: fisher paykel icon no power

Post by brownboy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 am

brownboy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 pm
My icon is almost 5 years old and wouldn't turn on. I don't use the humidifier but the hair dryer trick worked for me after about 3 min (I had it plugged in so I could see when to stop). The bottom cover was kinda tough to remove after the screws were taken out and it is too easy to strip the plastic that they screw into. When I moved it back to my bed it didn't turn on right away which worried me but it came on later. I didn't see an easy way to remove the circuit board so I could try to figure out why this helped. Thanks everyone!
Spoke too soon. It died 2 hours after I fell asleep so I'll need to buy another one but I wonder if there are other models that are more reliable that use the same nasal masks as I have lot of those.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:10 am

brownboy wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 am
I wonder if there are other models that are more reliable that use the same nasal masks as I have lot of those.
Any mask works with any machine with the exception of a couple of the tiny travel machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

brownboy

Post by brownboy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Went to a buddy's place that has a proper lab took apart the icon. Getting the power supply board out was a pain because of the orange wires that go through the plastic. It has a connector but you can't really get it out so we cut the wire to get the board out and then spliced in some short pieces of wire so we could put it back and have more play in the wires. Definitely not made to be user serviceable! The orange wires at the top of the pic are the ones we had to extend.

By using a narrow spread heat gun we heated various components until we found the one that was sensitive and causing the problematic shutdown (i.e. power up when heated). It turned out to the Toshiba TLP161J triac. I pointed to it in the attached image. You can look it up to find the datasheet but we shorted pins 4 and 6 to disable it. Those 2 pins are the top 2 pins (opposite side where the little dimple is on the chip). It is some sort of heat protection circuit (that is now working incorrectly and shutting down the machine when it shouldn't). So bypass this at your own risk. That part is no longer made but there is a replacement that should work that I'm going to try out at https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/ ... P268J.html

My icon is almost exactly 5 years old and failed right as the warranty expired because of a $1 part.

Thanks for telling me the nasal masks are interchangeable. This is my first CPAP and the 2nd one I bought is a travel airmini that uses specialized stuff.
Attachments
fisher_paykel_cpap_bad1.jpg
bad triac in Fisher Paykel Icon
fisher_paykel_cpap_bad1.jpg (956.21 KiB) Viewed 10981 times
Last edited by brownboy on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregski

Post by gregski » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 pm

I am having the same power up issue. My unit started failing at the 3 year mark, so out of warranty.
I have come up with a band aid solution - continually power up the unit, until it does start. What I do is plug in the power and leave it plugged in for about 10 minutes. If it doesn't start, repeat the process. I also vary the amount of time between each restart - anywhere from 5 seconds to a couple of minutes I will leave it unplugged. Eventually it does start up. I have been using this method for about 6 months now and it has not failed me yet. I have to do this 2 or 3 times a month.
I don't guarantee this will work for everyone, but it's worth a try for a good night of sleep!

hypopneaking

Post by hypopneaking » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:49 pm

My Icon died this week at 3.5 years old. Call your vendor. F&P has an out of warranty replacement program where they will replace your Icon with the new SleepStyle unit (in Canada, only the APAP unit is approved for sale so you will get an APAP whether your old Icon was a CPAP or an Auto unit). The cost is $500 for the unit and an extra $95 if you want a heated hose. It comes with the standard hose. If you have benefits through work, it should cover the cost. If you aren’t at the 5 year point in Ontario, ADP will not cover the cost. In Ontario, I suggest you avoid Medigas as they wouldn’t give me a unit until F&P received mine and wanted $200 per month for a loaner unit. I went to CPAP Clinic in Vaughan and they did everything. I walked out with a new SleepStyle 45 min later.

pd3cf

Post by pd3cf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Brownboy, on your pic which are the terminals you jumped? and how did you get the 5 pin connector reconnected that comes apart when you pull these boards up and out?

Thanks
Phil

jrbrwrjr

Post by jrbrwrjr » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:53 am

I have had the same issue with my F&P Icon Auto (which is now 5 years-old). I registered for the forum so I could share what I did to find a workaround for my machine. I hope this tip may be of help to others.

Background:
I tried the plug/unplug, hair dryer tricks with some degree of success. But recently took a trip to Europe where the voltage was 240V (vs. 120V in the USA). Since the input voltage on the machine can accept 120V or 240V, I bought a simple plug adapter to allow me to plug into the wall outlets in Europe. I was worried that I would get to Europe without a working CPAP. As it turned out, as soon as I plugged it into the 240V wall socket the CPAP powered up immediately. This same behavior occurred several times as we changed locations in Europe. The CPAP machine ran perfectly on 240V. No delayed power on at all. When I arrived back in the states and plugged it into 120V outlet, I experienced the same dead/no start behavior.

Solution/Workaround:
I purchased a 150 Watt (based on the power consumption data I could find on the unit) Voltage Transformer 120V to from 230V AC outlet American and European Step Up/Down Voltage Converter Transformer that raises the voltage up from 120V to 230V. In my case I purchased one made by KRIËGER which was about $45 on Amazon. I power the transformer from the 120V wall outlet and the transformer outputs 230V. I use the same plug adapter that I bought for my trip to Europe and plug my F&P into the transformer and my CPAP starts up immediately. I suspect there is an issue in the input power section of the circuit board. After I get a replacement machine, I intend to take mine apart and fix it. My initial thoughts were a bad capacitor or some component responsible for voltage conversion, but sounds like brownboy has isolated the issue to a triac (Thanks for the detective work and the photo!). While my workaround may be throwing good money at bad, it was a cost effective stop gap measure to get my machine working consistently (with peace of mind) until I purchase a new CPAP machine. Besides, I "tinker" and I'm sure I'll be able to use the transformer in/with other projects around the house.

jrbrwrjr

Post by jrbrwrjr » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:06 am

brownboy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 pm
Went to a buddy's place that has a proper lab took apart the icon. Getting the power supply board out was a pain because of the orange wires that go through the plastic. It has a connector but you can't really get it out so we cut the wire to get the board out and then spliced in some short pieces of wire so we could put it back and have more play in the wires. Definitely not made to be user serviceable! The orange wires at the top of the pic are the ones we had to extend.

By using a narrow spread heat gun we heated various components until we found the one that was sensitive and causing the problematic shutdown (i.e. power up when heated). It turned out to the Toshiba TLP161J triac. I pointed to it in the attached image. You can look it up to find the datasheet but we shorted pins 4 and 6 to disable it. It is some sort of heat protection circuit (that is now working incorrectly and shutting down the machine when it shouldn't). So bypass this at your own risk. That part is no longer made but there is a replacement that should work that I'm going to try out at https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/ ... P268J.html

My icon is almost exactly 5 years old and failed right as the warranty expired because of a $1 part.

Thanks for telling me the nasal masks are interchangeable. This is my first CPAP and the 2nd one I bought is a travel airmini that uses specialized stuff.
brownboy,
The link you provided for the replacement part was for a TLP268J (photocoupler) triac. Did you mean to have a link to the TLP266J? The TLP266J more closely aligns to the old part. If you use the TLP268J, you may end up frying the part. The maximum Input Forward Current on the TLP268J is 7.5 mA per the datasheet. The minimum Input Forward Current on the old part is 15mA (20 mA typical) per the datasheet. Assuming that 15mA is provided in the electrical design of the CPAP Machine, you will exceed the design parameters of the TLP268J and potentially damage/destroy the triac. For the TLP266J, the recommended operating conditions match exactly the original TLP161J. Please let us know how you make out with the part swap. Thanks!

iceman007

Post by iceman007 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info about removing the bottom and using a hairdryer. It didn't come back to life immediately, but within 15 minutes it was ready to use. I'm considering drilling some holes in the bottom plate under the rear circuit boards for ventilation. Any thoughts on this?

ed4636

Post by ed4636 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 pm

My FK cpap would not start after driving 4 hours. I read the posts here and removed the bottom cover. Applied a hair dryer 20 minutes. I found the air filter clogged. Cleaned it. Then I noticed a round black soft plastic 1/2" diameter bulb on the corner. Mmmm. A reset switch?
Yes. Pushed it, felt it reset. I inspected the cover. There are three small holes at that corner, one round, two slitted, designed to allow access to the reset switch, and allow air flow. A dull toothpick could reset the switch.
I found the air filter was clogged, cleaned it, plugged the machine in, and it worked. Lesson: clean the air filter often. The CPAP heats up, causing a breaker to trip.
Once reset, it worked. Very good design. Now I know.
Ed

Cookieloulou

Post by Cookieloulou » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 pm

:D thank you everyone for the hairdryer tip! My husband unplugged my cpap yesterday because I accidently left it on when I went to work. After plugging it in, no power! Needless to say, a sleepless night. 😞

I had read this thread the last time this happened but the machine came on after 45 minutes waiting.

This evening I showed my husband this thread, he got his tool to remove the screws, I put the hairdryer on it for about 15 minutes and lo and behold..it powered up!

Can not thank all of you enough.

Go Saints! 🏉

Chjpnes1965

Post by Chjpnes1965 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:28 pm

I know these were old post, but you guys just saved my vacation. I went to a Walgreens and bought a little tool kit with torx bits, took off the bottom, hair dried the board and it came on! Thanks everyone!

Denkiman

Post by Denkiman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:27 pm

I have been fighting this problem for over 8 months. In my opinion, the manufacturer should be driven into bankruptcy for the grief they have caused their customers due to a poor design.

Here is a simple work around that does not require any special tools to remove the bottom plate. Simply prop the back bottom corner up about 1/4" with a a pen or pill box or anything. Have the machine plugged in as normal. Then take a hairdryer and lay it on it's side and aim it right at the point where the power cord enters the machine. Turn the hairdryer on high heat for about 15 minutes. You should then see the display light up where you can see the logo. At this point you can turn on the machine and it should work OK as long as you keep it plugged in. Sometimes it will come on a little quicker and sometimes a little longer. It all depends on the humidity and temperature of the room.

I travel a lot on my job and have been using this method frequently. So far it has worked every time.

Alphax45

Post by Alphax45 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 am

Hi All

I'm so happy to have found this thread as I too am having the no power issue
The hairdryer trick is working to turn on my machine; but it shuts off at some point in the night so I'm not sleeping well
My provider can't help me until Monday

I was thinking of putting the machine on a heating pad on low; anyone tried this?

Many thanks for any help

Edit: tried a heating pad last night and it worked :)

NapoRdz

Post by NapoRdz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Anyone can provide instructions on how to pull the electronic board out?