How do i know when i have the right mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
speechless1

How do i know when i have the right mask?

Post by speechless1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi all. I was diagnosed recently with severe sleep apnea, and started using APAP 2 weeks ago. I am using a dreamstation machine, with an Airfit F10 ffm.

During my sleep study, i found out that i am a mouth breather. The nose only mask they used left me struggling for air. I dont know if this was due to the stress of using a cpap machine for the first time ever...or that it was just the wrong mask..but since I've been paying closer attention i would agree that i am sleeping mouth open. They quickly suggested a full face mask.

When I was fitted for equipment, they tried a medium then settled on a large F10. I guess it works ok? I have worn it everynight, and my AHI is averaging at 1.2 (down from 60+ in the sleep study). I dont think I'm sleeping as well as i could, but i think its just that this is all so very strange. I am commited to the idea that this is forever (having less than 45% oxygen stats scared me!).

Anyway...my DME says i have 30 days to chamge out the mask. I made an appointment tomorrow not because this one seems bad...but because i have no idea what might be better? What if i switch to something else and its terrible? I guess I'm asking for tips on what to look for. I know i should lay down to have it fitted. I think i should stick with ffm (but should i really? ) Maybe i was just freaked out the first time. I am very dependent on wearing glasses, so a mask that accommodates glasses is my only must have. Will every DME have access to all minds of masks? I am a little worried they are trying to steer me to the mask they want, As opposed to what works best for me. I am blessed with good insurance ...so i just have to qork with those guidelines.

Any helpful advice for my appointment tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

DreamStalker

Re: How do i know when i have the right mask?

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:54 pm

1. It will be comfortable to sleep with it all night long.
2 More importantly it will seal properly and not leak all night long.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 pm

And by checking your machine data with software you can see how well it's working and make changes to make it work better. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:03 pm

One of the important components of finding the "right mask" is also having the "right" bed pillow.
Too many bed pillows are too soft and when the head sinks into it, the mask is pushed out of alignment, resulting in leaks.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Wolfman's comment is right on.
I use a SleepWeaver 3D clot mask. I carefully lie down on the pillow so the tension between the pillow and the mask actually create the final adjustments to mask fit.

After you have been on CPAP a while you will learn t place your tongue on the roof of your mouth so that are won't leak out even when your mouth is open.

When you have the wrong mask you will know it quickly.
When you have an OK mask, you will know it's not wrong.
After seven years I am still in search of the right mask. Some days it's my SleepWeaver, other days I choose one of the other dozen masks in my closet. I have several favorites.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 pm

When I find a mask that works, I quit hunting and work towards making the one I have work. In 12 years I have used four different masks, I can be sucessful with all of them, some have points I like over the other three, but in a pinch all will work fine. Three are FF, one is Nasal, everything is covered. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Please take this at face value as I am new to the game.

We could be twins. I have severe sleep apnea, was diagnosed about two weeks ago and REM with my mouth open. They set me up with the AirFit F10 to start and a chin strap to address the open mouth. Not very fashion forward but it works. My only problem with the mask was air leaking into my eyes. Not big enough to affect my numbers but not quite right.

Heck yeah, try another mask if you're even the least bit unsure while you're in the grace period. Things get pricey after that. And if it was a bad move, you'll know right away. You can always go back.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Good luck in the mask hunt - may the force be with you.

I was lucky in the sense that my first mask (after thorough research) turned out to be the only comfortable mask for me that there is. I have yet to get it to work though. But then again, I have yet to get an xPAP machine to work for me. 4 months, 2 masks, and 3 sleep studies so far. Waiting for the results of the last study to see if they have managed to get a clue.

Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 pm

MrsRinPDX wrote:Please take this at face value as I am new to the game.

We could be twins. I have severe sleep apnea, was diagnosed about two weeks ago and REM with my mouth open. They set me up with the AirFit F10 to start and a chin strap to address the open mouth. Not very fashion forward but it works. My only problem with the mask was air leaking into my eyes. Not big enough to affect my numbers but not quite right.

Heck yeah, try another mask if you're even the least bit unsure while you're in the grace period. Things get pricey after that. And if it was a bad move, you'll know right away. You can always go back.
Have you considered the F20? It is similar to the F10, but the part of the mask that goes over the bridge of the nose is narrower than the F10. I had a lot of trouble trying to get the F10 to seal around the bridge of my nose, but the F20 works great for me.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.