Airsense 10 Humidifier Tank Running Dry

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nivek Marshall

Re: Airsense 10 Humidifier Tank Running Dry

Post by Nivek Marshall » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 pm

My Airsense runs dry at a setting of 5 in less than 7 hours. If I set it to 8 (the max) it will run dry and then I start breathing a burning plastic, almost toxic smelling tasting odor and it coats my mask and tube and have to do a deep clean to get rid of the smell. I wake up choking on this odor. Its horrible and I havent read of anyone else having this problem. This is suppose to be helping my sleep and sleep longer but this makes if very difficult.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:45 pm

You can over fill the Airsense 10 humidifier tank without causing any problems. Just be careful not to get it too full or it will run out. When I was running high pressure (20 - 25) and high humidity (8), I over filled mine every night with out having any problems. If you get it a little too high, it just runs out and makes a mess. If you experiment with it, you can figure out high full you can go before it runs out.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Nivek Marshall wrote:My Airsense runs dry at a setting of 5 in less than 7 hours. If I set it to 8 (the max) it will run dry
So....couple of questions.

What pressure are you using and what leak rate are you seeing being reported?

Oh...3rd question...what is the ambient humidity in your bedroom?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:37 pm

In my case, the ambient humidity in the bedroom is the biggest factor.
Anything over 60%, and I'm good to go all night.
If the humidity is 30% or less, I need to get up and refill at around 7 hours.
Not a deal breaker, usually about time to take a pee and get a drink of water.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:43 pm

What about putting a small dish of water next to the air inlet? May not do much, but it might be enough to get you through the night?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Gerald? wrote:What about putting a small dish of water next to the air inlet? May not do much, but it might be enough to get you through the night?
Surface area is proportional to evaporation rate.
You would be ahead hanging a wet towel up in the bedroom.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Gerald? wrote:What about putting a small dish of water next to the air inlet? May not do much, but it might be enough to get you through the night?
But the airflow across the dish plus the smaller volume air flowing across the dish versus the total air volume of the entire room would make the dish more effective at humidifying the air being breathed. I think.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Rick_m71

Post by Rick_m71 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I have been using an Aircurve 10 for the past year and have the same problem in winter, but not quite as bad as some of you. I have to turn the humidifier settings somewhere near the middle and I still almost run dry after 7 hours of sleep. I run fairly high pressures which contributes to the problem. I'm curious if room temperature makes any difference as our room is around 66 degrees at night. We also have a furnace humidifier and I'm guessing it is around 35-40%. I have never had this problem with the S9 or the the PR system 1. I figured if I go through the whole tank, I should be fine turning down the humidity setting, but I still feel dry at times.

I have had several nights where it ran dry and I woke up to the horrible metallic taste in my mask. It takes a day or so before that smell/taste goes away.

I would love to find a solution to this problem.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:51 pm

What humidity setting are you using on the AirCurve?

Rick_m71 wrote:I have been using an Aircurve 10 for the past year and have the same problem in winter, but not quite as bad as some of you. I have to turn the humidifier settings somewhere near the middle and I still almost run dry after 7 hours of sleep. I run fairly high pressures which contributes to the problem. I'm curious if room temperature makes any difference as our room is around 66 degrees at night. We also have a furnace humidifier and I'm guessing it is around 35-40%. I have never had this problem with the S9 or the the PR system 1. I figured if I go through the whole tank, I should be fine turning down the humidity setting, but I still feel dry at times.

I have had several nights where it ran dry and I woke up to the horrible metallic taste in my mask. It takes a day or so before that smell/taste goes away.

I would love to find a solution to this problem.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rick_m71

Post by Rick_m71 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 pm

I think the last few nights I used it I had it on manual with the humidity set at 5 (out of 8 I think) and the tube temperature around 78. If I keep the settings like this, as it gets colder outside, the tank will eventually not last more than 6 hours.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Reminds me of the old days (Better) Coal fired furnaces in the basement, no forced air heat, just hot air rising from being lighter than cold. We used to set coffee cans filled with water on the registers, to get the air moist. Houses were warmer back then to, the heat was quiet and hot. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Rick_m71 wrote:I think the last few nights I used it I had it on manual with the humidity set at 5 (out of 8 I think) and the tube temperature around 78. If I keep the settings like this, as it gets colder outside, the tank will eventually not last more than 6 hours.
I have an AirSense (and had an AirCurve in the past) and I have used various S9 models and Respironics as well.
I have noticed that the new ResMed models (AirSense and AirCurve) do seem to use more water than the prior models.
A lot of it is the ambient humidity...so I first suggest that you get a real humidity sensor gadget and find out exactly what the house ambient humidity is (in the bedroom of course) instead of guessing.
My pressures aren't very high with the Air Sense except only occasionally and never prolonged and the pressure used does impact the amount of water consumption...along with the ambient humidity.
And I the settings for humidity aren't the same between the 2 models (S9 and the Air models).
See this page 2 when using the heated hose.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... sa_eng.pdf

The only time I don't use almost all the water is when the ambient humidity is high (like it is raining outside and windows open) at my preferred settings which are in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 when setting manually. I don't use quite as much when I set it to "auto" for humidity.
My ambient household humidity ranges 50 to 60 when not raining outside and the furnace isn't on...when raining it might reach 70%.
With the furnace on a lot during winter it might dip to 40 to 45%...and I will use even more water but I didn't get the AirSense until this past August so this will be my first winter with it..and the AirCurve that I had was last spring and summer...no no really cold furnace using temps or the furnace to dry the air out a bit. I don't have a special humidifier to my furnace.

Last night I used half the water and only made it for barely 4 hours (long story there as to why the short night) and that's with pressures mostly in the single digits.

I may end up reducing the setting from 6 to 5 or even 4 if I start running out of water...that has yet to be seen as the winter progresses.
I don't know if my nose will like the lower setting or not because my nose likes a lot of moisture.

Hose air temp won't really affect water consumption that I know of. The main function of the hose air temp is nothing more than comfort and enough warmth to prevent condensation at whatever setting is being used.
I do use the heated hose set high right now because my bedroom gets cold (like low 60s or high 50s) but I have never seen the hose air temp make any difference in water consumption. I will use the same water with the hose air temp at 66 degrees as I will do at 86 degrees as I really haven't changed the humidity setting since I got the AirSense in Aug of this year. What it does prevent at the higher temps is condensation in the hose and mask and even then it's not perfect. I had a tiny bit of spray coming out the vent holes this morning but not enough to warrant intervention.
If it gets worse I will add a barrel cozy to my nasal pillows. Warming up the house really isn't an option...I don't like it warm and it's a old farm house and hard to heat anyway.

Your options are going to be limited if you start running the tank dry...either reduce the humidity setting (which your nose may or may not like) or increase the ambient humidity in the bedroom so that not as much water is needed to achieve the selected humidity.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Pugsy wrote:I have noticed that the new ResMed models (AirSense and AirCurve) do seem to use more water than the prior models.
A lot of it is the ambient humidity...so I first suggest that you get a real humidity sensor gadget and find out exactly what the house ambient humidity is (in the bedroom of course) instead of guessing.
I have only had my AirCurve 10 VAUTO since 9-15-17.

From then to only a couple of weeks ago, I had the humidity settings turned totally off - i.e. no added humidity at all.
Was using only passover humidification.
Water in tank lasted several days.

A couple of weeks ago, I turned it to "Auto" & immediately I had to refill the water tank every morning.
Thought that maybe it was because the tank held less water than my S9 - but found out that both tanks held the exact same amount of water.

The amount of water used is directly related to the humidity in the house.

Regardless, the AirCurve 10 VAUTO does in fact use more water than the S9.

The S9 that I use for part of the same night for approx. the same number of hours has more water left in it than the VAUTO.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

HistorianBill

Post by HistorianBill » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:05 am

I have second ResMed humidifier now is a Air Sense 10 auto set. Tank runs dry early in morning. Setting was on auto. Experimented on lower settings, now on setting level 2. Still runs dry. Am in Georgia, now in heating cycle so humidity is lower but wonder if machine is defective as I never had that problem with prior Res Med CPAP. Can get no help from CPAP supplier who is in Florida. Have no solution except to refill tank in middle of night. My age is 90. Otherwise CPAP WORKS FINE with my obstructive breathing problem. Wish I had guidance or solution.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:14 am

HistorianBill wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:05 am
I have second ResMed humidifier now is a Air Sense 10 auto set. Tank runs dry early in morning. Setting was on auto. Experimented on lower settings, now on setting level 2. Still runs dry. Am in Georgia, now in heating cycle so humidity is lower but wonder if machine is defective as I never had that problem with prior Res Med CPAP. Can get no help from CPAP supplier who is in Florida. Have no solution except to refill tank in middle of night. My age is 90. Otherwise CPAP WORKS FINE with my obstructive breathing problem. Wish I had guidance or solution.
What are your pressures?

What are you leak numbers?

How many hours of use/sleep are you getting?

I use a setting of 8 for humidity on my AirCurve 10 machine...pressures average 10 to 12 with sometimes hitting 15 but not for long.
I don't use all the water in the chamber....comes close depending on how many hours I get but 7 to 8 hours and it's not dry when I get up.

These things affect water consumption.
1....ambient humidity
2....machine humidity setting
3....pressures used (higher pressures means more water consumption)
4....amount of large leak (more leak means more water consumption)
5....how long the machine is being used

If your pressure needs are low and you aren't having prolonged large leaks and you are using up all the water in 3 or 4 hours....it is possible you have a faulty unit but you need to make sure it's not using all the water from some other reason first.